cookie

Cookie’s Corner Year 3

40 minutes ago, cookie said:

This is why you maybe should give the girl a different name.

The whole point is the girls lack individual identities because of what was done to them.

But she does get a name at the end.

Bioshock

This is why doing close to a literal adaptation of any game does not work.

The central issue is the lack of structure.  The movie pretty much begins and ends three times and that makes it feel a lot longer than it really is. I'm not saying it'd have to radically alter itself to fit a three-act structure, but making it far less episodic would've helped a great deal. That's not saying there aren't a lot of cool moments within the individual "bits" (the Tchaikovsky sequence was a highlight) but they are just that, bits.

Another issue is that Jacqueline is pretty much a cipher. Vikander's got screen presence to back herself up, but aside from the SHOCKING TWIST there's really nothing to her character. Adam Jensen worked a lot better for me in The Human Revolution because there was a lot more to him and he had his own goals. Jacqueline pretty much does what everyone tells her to (which combined with the lingering question of what makes a man or a slave makes it a bit unfortunate).

Technically everything is done to a pitch perfect note, Rapture and its inhabitants all being wonderfully brought to the silver screen visually. I just wish they put more focus on the script instead of thinking the visuals alone will make it a worthwhile experience.

Minor note: I could clearly tell the gender swap was made in a hurry because the movie pretty much refers to Jacqueline as a male for most of the film, unless Jacqueline suddenly discovered a different gender identity a third of the way through (I guess I could have given points for being progressive if nothing else) it got a bit distracting.

C+

Just now, cookie said:

Bioshock

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I spent no time making edits to the actual plot since there was an immediate need for a film on May 17th so my only focus was to switch pronouns around as much as possible in the very little time available. Clearly I missed some.

So my defense is blame the people who forgot to make their films for that release date on time. :sparta:

Just now, cookie said:

Is it wrong of me to say I immediately had David Bowie in my head as the opening credits came up?

No, you're not wrong. I thought for a while about the best way to intro the franchise and I decided that the opening montage was the best way to basically give audiences visual understanding without having to info-dump about this or that later on.

But we can't use Bowie because Valerian already did. :sparta:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Pretty dope first twenty(?) minutes. Can't really say much else since I don't know where any of it goes from there.

Yeah I just wanted to give a little appetizer since I had promised a pre-read a lot sooner and didn't get to it.

Any questions you have feel free to ask in the PM convo.

• Like 1

Call of Duty

giphy.gif

It's pretty much Modern Warfare 1: The Movie. If you like the games you're going to enjoy it just fine, if you like pew pew and bang bang you're getting a lot of that for the buck too. Everyone else won't need to bother. Could've used less tactical talk and for a movie short on character development it's a bit long in the tooth but it's fine.

C+