The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Seven is phenomenal. Was lucky to see it on the big screen a couple years ago and it's so draining in the best way. People were dead silent walking out. "John Doe has the upper hand" is one of the most chilling lines in filmdom.

• Like 2

pans-labyrinth-523dfe4579093.jpg

Number 45

El Laberinto del Fauno (2006)

Picturehouse, Directed by Guillermo Del Torro (65 Points, 17 Votes)

big_5378.jpg?lm=1517301395

"A long time ago, in the underground realm, where there are no lies or pain, there lived a Princess who dreamed of the human world."

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (79, +34), 2013 (50, +5), 2012 (63, +18)

Awards Count: Won 3 Oscars

Tomatometer: 95% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 37.6m (50.1m Adjusted)

Synopsis: In the falangist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.

Critic Opinion: "Pan's Labyrinth, the extraordinary film from Mexican fabulist Guillermo del Toro, is as poetic as a ballad and as primal as a myth - imagine The Chronicles of Narnia painted by a tag team of Goya and Dalí. Del Toro is a conjurer who employs realism to intensify his fantasy - and vice versa. This is the breakthrough work of one of world cinema's most visionary artists.

The film's resolution is as ambiguous and rich as its narrative. I leave it to others to debate whether Pan's Labyrinth ends on a note of triumph or tragedy - or both.  What I do know for certain is that del Toro has created a timeless story. Finally, Pan's Labyrinth suggests that fairy-tale violence helps the vulnerable process and overcome real-life conflicts and that real-life violence permanently smashes the soul and the heart. By the end, I rode the emotional waves of elation and elegy, and thought once again of Donne, of "Death Be Not Proud," of the poet's hope that death shall be no more. "Death, thou shalt die."" - Carrie Rickey

User Opinions: "I cold purchased the Blu Ray over a year ago and tonight I finally decided to watch it. Now I'm wondering why I waited so long. It's fantastic, beautiful and gruesome film. A real fairy tale of old without the saccharine syrup of Hollywood." - @DeeCee

"Absolutely love this movie to death.... and that music!" - @Jay Hollywood

Commentary: Guillermo Del Torro get his Shape of Water bump as Pan's Labyrinth finishes notably higher than it ever has before, and deservedly so.  Pan's Labyrinth is a gorgeous and heartbreaking fairytale about a dark fantasy world being a little girl's escape from an even grimmer and harsher reality.  There are many spanish movies about the Spanish Civil War, Del Torro actually has two fantasy films about it, this one and the slightly lesser known, The Devil's Backbone.  The world Del Torro crafts in Labyrinth is rich, beautiful and poetic, unlike any of his many other gorgeous and innovative worlds he's crafted in the past.  Pan's Labyrinth was on 28% of the lists that were submitted and averaged a score of around 3.8 from each of those users.

Decade Count: 10s (11), 90s (10), '00s (9), 80s (8), 70s (6), 60s (5), 50s (4), 40s (2), 30s (1)

Tomatometer Count: Over 90% (46), 80%-90% (10)

Adjusted Box Office Count: 1b+ (1), 900m (2), 800m (1), 600m (1), 500m (1), 400m (4), 300m (3), 200m (8), 100m (13), Under 100m (20)

Director Count: Alfred Hitchcock (3), James Cameron (2), Damien Chazelle (2), Stanley Kubrick (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), John Avildsen (1), Ash Brannon (1), Frank Capra (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Francis Ford Copolla (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), David Fincher (1), Victor Fleming (1), Milos Forman (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), Akira Kurosawa (1), John Lasseter (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Sergio Leone (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Harold Ramis (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Bryan Singer (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Guillermo Del Torro (1), Lee Unkrich (1), King Vidor (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (6), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), Pixar (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Harry Potter (1), Rocky (1), Oz (1), Toy Story (1)

Genre Count: Drama (18), Thriller (15), Sci-Fi (13), Adventure (14), VFX Driven (11), Fantasy (11), Action (10), Comedy (10), Epic (10), Novel Adaption (9), Crime/Noir (9), Romance (8), Family/Children (7), Indie (7), Period Piece (7), War (6), Tragedy (6), Horror (6), Musical (5), Cult Classic (5), Sequel (5), Western (4), Foreign Language (4), Christmas (3), Melodrama (3), Animation (3), Spy/Detective (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Satire (2), Remake (2), Sports (1), Romantic Comedy (1)

a523e319a49a2fbad0f8c887c8eee93c.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Later tonight

I talked about a genre coming in full force, we’ve seen at least one movie from that said genre already today and we’ll see three more out of the next four movies!

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Later tonight

I talked about a genre coming in full force, we’ve seen at least one movie from that said genre already today and we’ll see three more out of the next four movies!

what genre are you on about panda?

4 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

That’s kind of how I thought of the Shape of Water when I saw it.

That's kind of how I am with Del Toro in general

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Most of us are under the assumption it's superhero movies (Spider-Man 2, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, The Avengers would be my guess)

but they're not allowed to be in the top 50, maybe he means western