The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The craft, writing, legacy, score? I've thought plenty of films were fantastic that I'd never ever want to revisit because they weren't "fun". After seeing The 400 Blows the first time do you ever think I'll revisit it ever again? Probably not despite owning it on blu-ray. And yet it's a carefully constructed amazing character study of a misunderstood kid. That's why it often gets ranked high in so many lists. It's a very good movie. It's just not a very enjoyable one.

Haven't seen that one but -- I didn't say fun? 2001 which we've just had is not a "fun" film, it's not funny or light, but it is absolutely epic in its scope, ambition, ideas etc and perfectly executed. I was completely engrossed and like someone else said it's like being high, in parts, it is completely immersive in its sights and sounds. Not a "fun" film but why would that mean it is not enjoyable? 

Music and writing you mentioned, those aren't things you enjoy when they're done well?

• Community Manager
Just now, Ranger Tree said:

Haven't seen that one but -- I didn't say fun? 2001 which we've just had is not a "fun" film, it's not funny or light, but it is absolutely epic in its scope, ambition, ideas etc and perfectly executed. I was completely engrossed and like someone else said it's like being high, in parts, it is completely immersive in its sights and sounds. Not a "fun" film but why would that mean it is not enjoyable? 

Music and writing you mentioned, those aren't things you enjoy when they're done well?

It's possible to appreciate something without enjoying it, no? To use a more recent film, War of the Planet of the Apes, just like the other recent Apes movies, is a very well done movie that I admired in how well executed it was. It's not really a film I particularly enjoyed though: just like it's two predecessors. 

• Like 1

Okay well I think were going by different definitions of enjoyment. Regardless, there's no criteria on how anyone sorts their list. Jamescameronscholar is an example of that.

Edited by Ranger Tree

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It's possible to appreciate something without enjoying it, no? To use a more recent film, War of the Planet of the Apes, just like the other recent Apes movies, is a very well done movie that I admired in how well executed it was. It's not really a film I particularly enjoyed though: just like it's two predecessors. 

You dont make any sense

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

On 15/05/2018 at 4:15 PM, IronJimbo said:

I prayyyy in my heart... that this dreeeam neveeeer eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeends

Sometimes when I read your posts I wonder if you are not an Avatar hater who pretends to like it and sicken us so much with it and your fan boy attitude that we start to dislike it.

If i'm right... Well played...

Edited by RascarCapat
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

Replicants are things.

You use things, you fuck things.

You don't jolly doodle seduce them.

Now who's inhuman ?

Whole point of the movie.

Clearly a bit rappy. I think its intentionnal.

1 minute ago, RascarCapat said:

Replicants are things.

You use things, you fuck things.

You don't jolly doodle seduce them.

Now who's inhuman ?

Speak for yourself bro. I tend to go for humans, but you do you.

30 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The craft, writing, legacy, score? I've thought plenty of films were fantastic that I'd never ever want to revisit because they weren't "fun". After seeing The 400 Blows the first time do you ever think I'll revisit it ever again? Probably not despite owning it on blu-ray. And yet it's a carefully constructed amazing character study of a misunderstood kid. That's why it often gets ranked high in so many lists. It's a very good movie. It's just not a very enjoyable one.

But how exactly do you measure the quality of the craft, writing, legacy, score, etc, except by how you personally felt about it and by extension how much you enjoyed it? Also, a movie doesn't have to be 'fun' for you to enjoy it. A movie that delivers a powerful emotional experience, that challenges your ideals, that shakes your worldview, can equally be considered as 'enjoyable', even if it doesn't make you feel pleasant and it's not necessarily something you might want to rewatch.

Also, since we're on the topic of old movies and whether they're watchable in the 21st century, Imma take the opportunity to throw in a quick shameless thread plug of my 'Watch one old movie for each year' project.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I'm sure we can all agree that T1 really went down in our eyes after we saw Genisys

What do you mean ?

How can it change your view on T1?

I mean I get the whole hommage thing but it does not change T1?

Or does it ?

I don't thing the plot changes, but even if it does, it does not make it a lesser film.

Edit : Nevermind I've read the rest of the thread

Edited by RascarCapat

23 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I unenjoyed that movie so much that I saw it 3 times.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

y'know you have the option to say "hey I already saw Avengers and thought it was quite bad but thanks for the offer anyway"

I don't like being in my house so any excuse to get out really, even if it's tagging along with a friend to see a film I don't like.

37 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

There's no real right or wrong.

Funny how I had to defend my position over multiple pages and from various angles before this was realised. Glad there's no bias here. 

14 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

Sometimes when I read your posts I wonder if you're an Avatar hater who pretends to like it and sicken us so much with it and you fan boy attitude that we start to dislike it.

If i'm right... Well played...

That was a good video.

45 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

I can't think of a single film that I thought was "truly fantastic" and simultaneously did not enjoy it. Surely those two things are the opposite of each other...?

Claude Lanzmann's Shoah is a film that jumps to mind that is most certainly not enjoyable to watch, another is Andrey Iskanov's Philosophy of a Knife. If a person were to tell me that they enjoyed watching those movies, I'd consider them a sadist, sociopath, or just cruel. To say they didn't have merit though, now that I would find unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Claude Lanzmann's Shoah is a film that jumps to mind that is most certainly not enjoyable to watch, another is Andrey Iskanov's Philosophy of a Knife. If a person were to tell me that they enjoyed watching those movies, I'd consider them a sadist, sociopath, or just cruel. To say they didn't have merit though, now that I would find unreasonable. 

Why should these films have any merit though?  They barely made any money after all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2