The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

34 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Again, I use Hanlon's razor in these situations, and your ignorance of the existence of logical positivism only makes me glad I do so. I don't seek to 'sound philosophical'

We are talking about peoples favourite films. I think you are meaning to sound pretentious and philosophical.

Don't really have the time or patience to help the Avatar twins derail this thread further, so I'm merely just going to point out that if JCS wants to sound smart, maybe don't base your arguments on a philosophical movement (logical positivism) more-or-less agreed to have been discredited and died out in the 1960's.

Basically, suck it, Confucius.

7 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I love the Harry Potter movies but are any of them really top 100 movies of all time material? Are the movies really better than Persona, The Tin Drum, or The 400 Blows? 

Maybe? Depends on the person? Just because you think something's an underrated classic masterpiece of cinema, doesn't mean everyone's going to necessarily agree with you. And neither does it mean that they're going to automatically rate it over something that personally brings them a lot of enjoyment just because it's more mainstream and widely popular.

Like Jake Gittes said, it's not really a question you can easily answer unless you get roughly the same amounts of people to watch both. And even then, it's not much of a guarantee. I've seen tons of classic films of all different types and eras, yet my Top 10 still contains two superhero movies and Speed Racer of all things. Because those are the films that have personally most appealed to me and that I've gained the most enjoyment from. Different people enjoy different things and a lot of popular stuff is popular for a reason.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Now now FB, 'wrong opinion' is an oxymoron. Don't fall to their level of nonsense. 

I agree, the exception is to think Batman v. Superman is a good movie. That's a wrong opinion. :redcapes:

The Harry Potter series deserved a spot on the list...#7 Pt 2 is a fine choice for the spot - I would have also been fine with #4 (I'm always partial to that movie b/c it was my favorite book and where sh&t got real)...

It defined cinema for a decade...its world has become as much a part of the public consciousness as Star Wars (maybe more so, since Harry Potter is a worldwide phenom, not just a domestic one)...

I put the series on the list and didn't choose a movie (and let our host do it).  I regret nothing about that choice:).  I did the same for the other fantasy series that defined that era, Lord of the Rings.  Both are uber-deserving...

PS - Now, the 2 #1 votes for Attack of the Clones...I thought TLJ and TFA making the list was bad, but I'd love to hear the write ups for why they thought that was the best movie ever made:).  Now, I understand that one if the only movies they've ever watched were the prequels...but man... 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Don't really have the time or patience to help the Avatar twins derail this thread further, so I'm merely just going to point out that if JCS wants to sound smart, maybe don't base your arguments on a philosophical movement (logical positivism) more-or-less agreed to have been discredited and died out in the 1960's.

To base one's arguments on a single branch of philosophy would be dogmatic, and I'd challenge you to point to me saying LP is the basis for all my beliefs (don't worry I know you won't). 

And while the movement itself certainly died a harsh death with the rise of Popper, many of its axioms are still relevant in the field today. It was those ideas that I was pointing to, not the movement itself, that would be like conflating the idea of communism Marx put forward with a particular type of communism - of which there are many - and that would be intellectually dishonest to do so. 

I'd also point out that, just because a 'movement' has been rejected by the group doesn't mean that idea is in itself flawed (look at the sad life of Boltzmann if you want to see where that path leads us). 

I could have made the exact same argument regarding the verificationism principle in relation to making a list of one's preferred movies using Popper's falsificationism principle instead, without changing the outcome. 

Don't worry about engaging with any of these points, I don't expect you to waste any more of your precious time and patience outlining common philosophical knowledge to me as though it was thunderous refutations of my assertions. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Don't know why people are going on about whether or not Marvel/Star Wars movies 'deserve' to be here. It's a subjective fucking list, deserve ain't got nothing to do with it.

f26b7752019907de2a2f06b18ad62fcc.gif

tumblr_osfhuj5flv1r9dm6no3_500.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The Harry Potter series deserved a spot on the list...#7 Pt 2 is a fine choice for the spot - I would have also been fine with #4 (I'm always partial to that movie b/c it was my favorite book and where sh&t got real)...

It defined cinema for a decade...its world has become as much a part of the public consciousness as Star Wars (maybe more so, since Harry Potter is a worldwide phenom, not just a domestic one)...

I put the series on the list and didn't choose a movie (and let our host do it).  I regret nothing about that choice:).  I did the same for the other fantasy series that defined that era, Lord of the Rings.  Both are uber-deserving...

PS - Now, the 2 #1 votes for Attack of the Clones...I thought TLJ and TFA making the list was bad, but I'd love to hear the write ups for why they thought that was the best movie ever made:).  Now, I understand that one if the only movies they've ever watched were the prequels...but man... 

I can understand people loving ROTS as it was the best of the prequels and a flawed but highly entertaining movie but AOTC lol

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

One day this will be accepted as fact.

The film is wonderfully aware of how trashy it is (that said the third act does turn into cgi vomit on a screen still but it's a perfectly pleasant time up until Doomsday shows up!)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

To base one's arguments on a single branch of philosophy would be dogmatic, and I'd challenge you to point to me saying LP is the basis for all my beliefs (don't worry I know you won't). 

And while the movement itself certainly died a harsh death with the rise of Popper, many of its axioms are still relevant in the field today. It was those ideas that I was pointing to, not the movement itself, that would be like conflating the idea of communism Marx put forward with a particular type of communism - of which there are many - and that would be intellectually dishonest to do so. 

I'd also point out that, just because a 'movement' has been rejected by the group doesn't mean that idea is in itself flawed (look at the sad life of Boltzmann if you want to see where that path leads us). 

I could have made the exact same argument regarding the verificationism principle in relation to making a list of one's preferred movies using Popper's falsificationism principle instead, without changing the outcome. 

Don't worry about engaging with any of these points, I don't expect you to waste any more of your precious time and patience outlining common philosophical knowledge to me as though it was thunderous refutations of my assertions. 

Is there a way to turn this thing off ?

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Imagining that being Palestine in the background just gave me my guilty chuckle of the day. 

Imagining that's Cameron in the background after Gal Gadot said she didn't respond to his comments as she didn't want to give him a platform and that he was doing it for T2 re-release publicity. :sparta:

8 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I love the Harry Potter movies but are any of them really top 100 movies of all time material? Are the movies really better than Persona, The Tin Drum, or The 400 Blows? 

I’d make the argument for Prisoner of Azkaban and maybe Deathly Hallows Part 2. Not so much for the rest of them.

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

Enough of this shit guys. This is supposed to be a fun thread. Can we stop with all the garbage, please?

Agreed.

Especially with using mental health disorders as jabs on each other.  The philosophy stuff is just annoying, but that’s flat out rude (especially since many members here likely do suffer from a mental health disorder or are close to somebody who does, and none of them are things that lessen your value as a person).

Let’s discuss movies, I’ll get some more entries started up shortly!

• Like 10