Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

Love Scream, really happy I got to see it in the theaters 2-3 years ago - except we were seated behind people who really couldn't care less about being quiet, turning it into a frustrating experience 👺

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Very basic breakdown of both films.

Both movies open up with people waking up from a cryosleep, they go to have breakfast, a drop ship lands on LV-426, someone is sent to check out the circular ship (the same one), he gets a facehugger stuck to his face - returns to the base and infects everyone with alien shit, at the same time a company is on a covert mission to retrieve an alien, there’s a scene where an android dissects a facehugger very suspiciously (obviously both movies have an android too and both get torn up), Ripley has a flamethrower and uses it to burn a person cocooned against a wall who asked to die, they need to reach a minimum distance before a countdown hits zero causing an explosion, and by the third act when Ripley’s basicsslly alone - the alien has snuck aboard whatever she is in, Ripley’s response to this is to run off and put on a spacesuit/power loader and after a fight - the alien is blown out of the ship and out into space. She then goes back to sleep.

When you really look at it the major difference is setting (spaceship/planet), type of characters (scientists/military) and style.

And Star Wars follows the same plot outline as Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress but no one in their right mind would call them the same movie.

Edited by L Silverman

1 minute ago, L Silverman said:

And Star Wars follows the same plot outline as Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress but no one in their right mind would call them the same movie.

I never called them the same movie. But yes, The Hidden Fortress and Star Wars are still similar films, so are Alien and Aliens - but far more so when the plot points are identical and one is a sequel to the other. The Hidden Fortress doesn't literally have the same locations as Alien & Aliens. Are you even forgetting why this whole thing started? You said you couldn't compare Alien and Aliens when you clearly can because imo Alien pulled off this exact same structure better.

Guys, please stop :lol:. Alien is a horror thriller. Aliens is an action thriller. They arent even similar in the setting, one is basically in 1 spaceship, the other one on a planetary base. They are vastly different movies and ive already explained some pages earlier why i dont think Aliens can be counted as a horror film.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

Been catching up with this. Dig the picks of Audition and Lost Highway in particular. Lynch gotta be the greatest horror director of all time even if virtually none of his films is full-on horror in the conventional sense. But over 40 years he has just shown a deeper understanding of dread and terror, how it works and how to create it, than anyone else I know. 

I keep wondering if you've seen The Innocents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Been catching up with this. Dig the picks of Audition and Lost Highway in particular. Lynch gotta be the greatest horror director of all time even if virtually none of his films is full-on horror in the conventional sense. But over 40 years he has just shown a deeper understanding of dread and terror, how it works and how to create it, than anyone else I know. 

I keep wondering if you've seen The Innocents. 

Unfortunately, no. There are still some few classics like that one out there that i need to catch up too.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Unfortunately, no. There are still some few classics like that one out there that i need to catch up too.

Even with your apprehension about black-and-white films I think you'll be into it. It's the most elegant horror film I've seen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Even with your apprehension about black-and-white films I think you'll be into it. It's the most elegant horror film I've seen. 

I woundt call it apprehension (for example i absolutely love most Charlie Chaplin films), but especially old horror films often are just not doing it for me with some notable exceptions (Nosferatu, The Haunting, Psycho etc.). But The Innocents is now underlined on my list for movies i need to watch :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Number 04:

220px-Scream_movie_poster.jpg

Scream (1996)

Director: Wes Craven

Box Office: 173 Million

Story: 8/10

Tension: 10/10

Atmosphere: 10/10

Rewatchability: 10/10

Plot Synopsis:

Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), a highschool student of Woodsboro, still has to process the death of her mother, when shes suddenly the target of a masked killer, widely known as ghostface...

And here we have imo the best slasher movie of all time.

Scream 1 is a total masterpiece. Its every bit as brutal and gory as older slasher flicks; but its even more tension-filled for me, it has better filmmaking on display, its at first viewing a great guess game as to who's the killer and on top of that all - its the best self-parody movie of a whole genre ive ever seen. The combination of tension-filled horror thrills and often times hilarious and just extremely cleverly written nods at the film itself and the horror film industry in general is as great as when it came out.

From the unbelievably entertaining opening sequence to the bloody and gruesome finale, everything about this film just works. Neve Campbell as Sidney is extremely likable and btw just stunning to look at, but thats not as important as the other great performances here. Some of them are a bit overacting, but it always fits their characters. Every scene is executed in such an entertaining way, the music is very good as well, the killers, their masks and the kills themselves are iconic - i could go on and on, but it should be clear by now that i absolutely love this film. Though a tiny bit less than 3 other absolut masterpieces.

@TwoMisfits missed the Top 3 by a hair!

@Krissykins should like this as well i think :lol:

Woohoo!! 

Best film of all time, IMO. 

• Like 1

Oh and The Descent rules. Only just watched it for the first time in April. For pure adrenaline-rush horror it's a contender for the best from this century. You got both psychological and physical terror co-existing and reinforcing each other and it's just beautiful. Great idea, great execution. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Very basic breakdown of both films.

Both movies open up with people waking up from a cryosleep, they go to have breakfast, a drop ship lands on LV-426, someone is sent to check out the circular ship (the same one), he gets a facehugger stuck to his face - returns to the base and infects everyone with alien shit, at the same time a company is on a covert mission to retrieve an alien, there’s a scene where an android dissects a facehugger very suspiciously (obviously both movies have an android too and both get torn up), Ripley has a flamethrower and uses it to burn a person cocooned against a wall who asked to die, they need to reach a minimum distance before a countdown hits zero causing an explosion, and by the third act when Ripley’s basically alone - the alien has snuck aboard whatever she is in, Ripley’s response to this is to run off and put on a spacesuit/power loader and after a fight - the alien is blown out of the ship and out into space. She then goes back to sleep.

When you really look at it the major difference is setting (spaceship/planet), type of characters (scientists/military) and style.

You... do realise that's not really a plot outline? That's a collection of random scenes/plot moments that happen to be vaguely similar provided you squint.

Seriously, Alien and Aliens are only the 'exact same movie' if you ignore every bit of context said scenes place in, all the thematic elements and subtext in the story, all the characterisation and basically everything that makes a movie a movie and only boil the plot down to the vaguest details. And even then it's kind of a stretch.

• Like 2

Number 03:

The_Thing_(1982)_theatrical_poster.jpg

The Thing (1982)

Director: John Carpenter

Box Office: not enough (19,6 Million)

Story: 9/10

Rewatchability: 9/10

Plot Synopsis:

An american researchers team in Antarctica comes across a...dog. Hunted by seemingly crazy norwegians. The Norwegians die. The dog doesnt. The other way around would have been better for the others...

Did i say Alien is the best horror film in space? Yes. But is it the best science-fiction horror film? I think...no. The Thing imo is even better.

This film right here i think has the best overall atmosphere of any horror film, ever. Its pure terror. Its pure paranoia. We know what "The Thing" is able to do, we know how horrific it is - but it could just be the person standing right next to you. Its this feeling that the protagonists (upfront a brilliant Kurt Russel) can never be sure from where the danger is looming. And what a danger this is, my god! Carpenter and Co. made maybe the most terrifying fictional monster of all time here. The transformation scenes and overall the creature effects and the gore are so incredibly well-made. Even after this many years, it still looks just so real, its unholy amounts of impressive, especially in the last act. Watching the behind-the-scenes documentary of this film i very much recommend.

This film didnt deserve to flop, but it was kinda obvious: Audiences werent that much into scary alien monsters anymore in 82', cause not only did Alien exist and fill that gap, but E.T. came out (like Poltergeist) in June of 1982, just like The Thing and the people flocked to the family movie and largely ignored this Masterpiece right here. It was only after it came out that it got the reception it deserves.

The Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone is aiding the tension so much as well and combined with a great setting that makes the use of claustrophobic scenarions that much more effective, this is one film that will always stand the test of time.

@Premium George Very close, but Top 3 is Top 3!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

You... do realise that's not really a plot outline? That's a collection of random scenes/plot moments that happen to be vaguely similar provided you squint.

Seriously, Alien and Aliens are only the 'exact same movie' if you ignore every bit of context said scenes place in, all the thematic elements and subtext in the story, all the characterisation and basically everything that makes a movie a movie and only boil the plot down to the vaguest details. And even then it's kind of a stretch.

Once again I have to point out that at no point did I say they were "the exact same movie". There's a massive difference between being the same movie and having the same plot points. What you're saying makes it sound like I've tried to claim you could barely tell them apart. Saying the bone structure is very similar literally means boiling it down and taking away all the meat and looking at the bones that the rest of it use to tell their story, whatever that may be thematically.

All I've been saying is you can compare the films based on what they do with this and the different approaches they take. Quick example is for me Aliens has too much 80s in it with all the quippy one-liners from the goofy supporting characters instead of the very realistic and (ironically) down to earth dialogue the supporting characters in Alien had.

Number 02:

220px-SuspiriaItaly.jpg

Suspiria (1977)

Director: Dario Argento

Box Office: 1,43M in Italy

Story: 9/10

Rewatchability: 10/10

Plot Synopsis:

An american ballet student (Jessica Harper) transfers to a german dance academy, but soon she realizes that something is horribly, horribly wrong there...

Suspiria is only because of one reason not my number 1, and thats the acting. The acting here is very solid, but it is not outstanding.

Thats the only mini-issue i have with this wonderfull masterpiece of a movie. Everything else coundt be any better.

The camerawork is amazing. The visual stil is amazing. The soundtrack is Top 5 of any horror movie ever easily. The deaths are iconic. But what makes this film so unique is one thing that only giallo horror movies from Italy have perfected in the horror genre: The colors. OH MY GOD the colors in this film are breathtakingly effective and beautiful. Every scene is presented in such an absorbing, nightmarish way that you (coppled with the soundtrack!) just cant escape the movies atmosphere. Suspiria is haunting, its terrifying, its wonderfull to look at all at the same time. Here Argento perfects his work, none of his other movies come close to the mastery on display here in my opinion. True, Suspiria might not be scary, but its just so damn...atmospheric, i cant find a better word for it. I loved it to pieces when i first saw it like 4 years ago and since then, it only grew on me. This is one film that one never forgets, even if one doesnt like it  - which is very much possible, as giallo as a genre tends to split people. But for me, films dont get much better than Suspiria.

Amazing Soundtrack:

@baumer It coudnt have been closer :lol:

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1