Brainbug

Brainbugs Top 50 Best Horror movies of all time - Baumer's top 50 starts on page 18

Well, the twins take the number one spot.  And a great movie to do so.  

As for Suspiria yep....terrific movie.

I'm just catching up on everything here.

Just now, baumer said:

Well, the twins take the number one spot.  And a great movie to do so. 

Well...what if im on Stephen Kings side and dont like The Shining at all? :ph34r:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Once again I have to point out that at no point did I say they were "the exact same movie". There's a massive difference between being the same movie and having the same plot points. What you're saying makes it sound like I've tried to claim you could barely tell them apart. Saying the bone structure is very similar literally means boiling it down and taking away all the meat and looking at the bones that the rest of it use to tell their story, whatever that may be thematically.

All I've been saying is you can compare the films based on what they do with this and the different approaches they take. Quick example is for me Aliens has too much 80s in it with all the quippy one-liners from the goofy supporting characters instead of the very realistic and (ironically) down to earth dialogue the supporting characters in Alien had.

Except, as I mentioned before, the plot points aren't the same because you didn't post a list of major plot points, you posted a list of random scenes/moments that were vaguely similar. Unless you think 'Ripley having breakfast' is a key plot moment. Or if you think the stuff about someone checking the circular ship, being infected by a facehugger and spreading alien shit among the crew is somehow the main plot of Aliens in spite of a) that stuff happening to the redshirt colonists and not the protagonists or their group and b ) said stuff mostly happening to said colonists offscreen

Like I said, even if you boil the plots down to their most basic formula, they're still not copies unless you actively cherrypick it.

Also Suspiria is great. 

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I expressed my love for Jaws reently but I don't think I like it more than Alien. Still deserving of it's spot.

If you asked me though, I would consider it more of a thriller... Dunno those things always confuse me.

IMHO, JAWS is absolutely horror.  Firstly it scared the shit out of a nation and caused people not to go swimming.  To this day I do not go into the ocean because of my fear of Bruce.  That is a horror film in the most organic sense.

1 hour ago, L Silverman said:

Fun fact about Alien- Ridley Scott, Dan O'Bannon and Sigourney Weaver get credit for making that film a classic and deservedly so.  But the unsung hero was producer Walter Hill who did an uncredited re-write on O'Bannon's screenplay.  O'Bannon's original characters and dialogue were more akin to his work on Dark Star.  It was Hill, an action director who frankly didn't care much for sci-fi. who made them truckers in space, re-named all the characters, added the android and made the Company the evil behind-the-scenes player.

I love both films.  Walter Hill is a legend.  He has done so many good films, but none better than these two.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well...what if im on Stephen Kings side and dont like The Shining at all? :ph34r:

Totally possible.  

But highly unlikely

• Like 4

i have a tentative list for me, but I just started a new job last week and haven't had time to do anything with it.  So it may take a while for me to get prepared

as for this list, it is very good and can't wait for #1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Number 01:

The-Shining-1980-Movie-Art-Silk-Fabric-P

The Shining (1980)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Box Office: 44,4 Million

Story: 10/10

Tension: 10/10

Atmosphere: 10/10

Rewatchability: 10/10

Plot Synopsis:

Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson), Overlook hotel, Heres Johnny!..............you all know the drill, youve all seen this movie and if not....what went wrong?? :lol:

The Shining is a perfect movie. Everything here coundt be - in any form or shape - better. All the performances are absolutely great, clear standouts are (ofc) Nicholson and Shelly Duvall as his wife. But Danny Llyod is equally amazing, one of the best child performances of all time imo.

But it ofc doesnt stop with the actors. The cinematography. The set design. The lighting. The editing. The soundtrack. All of it is pure brilliance and Kubrick shows once again why he is regarded as possibly the best director of all time. His directing here is absolutely outstandingly genius. Its baffling how good the film is filmed, structured and paced. But its not only a masterpiece of a film - its also a masterful horror movie.

The Shining is genuinely creepy and extremely unnerving. Besides the iconic scenes (the twins, redrum etc.), the atmosphere is just so damn awesome in this film. You can feel, you can see how Jack becomes more and more insane, long before he begins to threaten his wife and son. The whole Overlook hotel feels so dangerous, mysterious and just...evil, its stunning to witness how Kubrick was able to create such an amazing tension all the while his film never, at any point, struggles to keep that tension at the highest possible level. Add to that an insane finale with some of the most memorable imagery in any film of all time and you got yourself a timeless classic that will go on to scare the shit out of people. The Shining is just pure perfection. Chapeau, Stanley Kubrick!

Im honestly a bit shocked, that no one predicted this film to be the Number 1!

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Except, as I mentioned before, the plot points aren't the same because you didn't post a list of major plot points, you posted a list of random scenes/moments that were vaguely similar. Unless you think 'Ripley having breakfast' is a key plot moment. Or if you think the stuff about someone checking the circular ship, being infected by a facehugger and spreading alien shit among the crew is somehow the main plot of Aliens in spite of a) that stuff happening to the redshirt colonists and not the protagonists or their group and b ) said stuff mostly happening to said colonists offscreen

Like I said, even if you boil the plots down to their most basic formula, they're still not copies unless you actively cherrypick it.

Not a key plot point, but the exact same type of world-building, they're both used for the exact same purpose for the first act. So is sending someone away to investigate the donut ship so they can get a facehugger stuck to their face and kick the plot into high gear. Of course not everything happens in the same order and some other things are brought into the mix, but it's very clear several plot points were lifted from the first, which is something Cameron did again with Terminator. It does however depend on which version of Aliens you watch, because we see more of this in the director's cut (and ironically at the same time, a few more differences) and since Cameron's vision was brought into the mix, that's the one I went with.

Edited by Lucas

And thats it! Thanks to everyone who followed the list with interest! Ive always liked talking about movies and horror movies in particular so that was a ton of fun for me to do, even though it got a bit exhausting today :lol:

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Number 01:

The-Shining-1980-Movie-Art-Silk-Fabric-P

The Shining (1980)

Oh my god it was The Shining all along!

Lmao, fucking brilliant movie and endlessly rewatchable. It's kind of amazing how strong the atmosphere and immersion is, but only in a way that Kubrick could do because I get a similar kind of immersion with almost all of his films.

• Like 1

great work @Brainbug  :)  

love the number one choice and it's definitely somewhere on my list too.  The Shining also has a great part in a movie that came out this year that i like, as well ;) 

• Like 1

Since some people here know me a bit better than they do Brainbug, I am not sure if my number one horror film will be that hard to guess.

Having said that, I will donate $10.00 to every person (max of 5) who guesses the correct film at number one.  And if anyone can guess my top 3, in order, I'll give you a three month gold membership.

Now having said all of that, let me just say that I am not including Jaws in this list.  The reason is JAWS is my number one film of all time and it scared the hell out of me, so it will b number one on most of my lists.  So to keep the mystery a little bit more mysterious, I'm not including JAWS in this countdown.

And since BB did such a great job on his, I have to up the ante a little bit.  I will do my top 75 horror films.  The first 25 will be done quickly and then the to 50 will be in the same style as BB's.  

The final list:

1)Halloween

2) Texas Chainsaw Massacre

3) Friday Final

4) Nightmare on Elm Street

5) The Shining

6) My Bloody Valentine

7) Scream

😎 Aliens

9) Open Water

10) Last House on the Left

11) Blair Witch