A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

I'm surprised this is going forward. I thought the decent but unspectacular box office from the last one killed the chances of this and the fact that Disney now have the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, I didn't see any reasons for them to care about this series anymore. I am so glad I was wrong. Someone at Disney must see the potential

Eh, CGI Clu. But Hedlund can be a capable actor, he has earned many raves for On the Road, so hopefully he channels something into this one.

Hedlund is the next Colin Farrell. Works in small movies. Blockbusters eat him up because he doesn`t have charisma to carry a big movie. he was trully awful in TL3 and complete lack of chemsitry with Wilde and Bridges (never for a moment bought them as family) didn`t help. Cillian Murphy`s camo blew him out of water.

I think the TRON world was very dark and bland which didn't help it reach a very large audience. I hope they address that in the sequel.

The filmmaker also teased that he would be bringing some new designs to the film instead of re-using material from Legacy:

“I don’t want to say too much about it but the goal would not be to simply re-use. We’re not going to re-use the assets from Legacy, that’s no fun. If we’re going to do to it we’re going to reinvent all over again and it’s going to be a whole new generation for reasons that are very story-driven. That’s all I can say.” http://collider.com/...osinski/217942/

Edited by kayumanggi

I'm surprised this is going forward. I thought the decent but unspectacular box office from the last one killed the chances of this and the fact that Disney now have the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, I didn't see any reasons for them to care about this series anymore. I am so glad I was wrong. Someone at Disney must see the potential

Yup it's got to be potential. Cause it's not like Disney made any money off of Tron. But, they didn't really lose it either...so...Glad it's happening. I really like Tron:Legacy, even if it's just style over substance.This time though, I hope they make it a fun adventure though. The original TRON isn't some masterpiece of filmmaking, but it's a fun adventure. The sequel...looked awesome, but it had a story which thought it meant more than it actually did.Still really liked it though...but take that style, and make it FUN...Whether it'll be a bigger hit than the original? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. But I'm glad it's happening. Hopefully this time there's a story worth getting involved in though. The first was more like an excuse to see cool things...and I enjoyed that excuse. But it could be better.I do hope Olivia is back...they could do interesting things with that character, plus my baser instincts says I like seeing her in this cause I simply want to do naughty things to her. Edited by kowhite

Wow, very interesting stuff. So the story and epicness is supposed to finally match the hinted at expectations from the first two films. That makes sense, since the end of Legacy hints at a huge story.Also surprising stuff with regards to Daft Punk. Very impressive that the soundtrack sold over a million copies, and best-selling soundtrack in 7 years. That and the fact that many tracks they made weren't on the soundtrack or in the film really caught my eye.

They need to raise the scale.Also, Tron Legacy did very poorly with family audiences for a Disney movie. That may have had something to do with its box office not being as high as it could have

It was a dark film for a family movie. The sequel won't be getting any lighter.In that sense, when you consider that a lot of kids simply didn't watch Legacy due to the tone of the film, then Legacy did VERY well for a niche sci-fi film with limited kid appeal. Edited by ACCA

It was a dark film for a family movie. The sequel won't be getting any lighter.In that sense, when you consider that a lot of kids simply didn't watch Legacy due to the tone of the film, then Legacy did VERY well for a niche sci-fi film with limited kid appeal.

Agreed. The question is...did Legacy resonate well enough that a sequel will perform well? If TRON 3 is a legitamately good movie, not just a cool looking and sounding movie, will it be able to do well and reach out to audiences that were lukewarm to Legacy? Dunno...glad they're trying though.I wonder if the TV show is doing well...that may be a motivating factor if it is. Edited by kowhite

Yup it's got to be potential. Cause it's not like Disney made any money off of Tron. But, they didn't really lose it either...so...Glad it's happening. I really like Tron:Legacy, even if it's just style over substance.This time though, I hope they make it a fun adventure though. The original TRON isn't some masterpiece of filmmaking, but it's a fun adventure. The sequel...looked awesome, but it had a story which thought it meant more than it actually did.Still really liked it though...but take that style, and make it FUN...Whether it'll be a bigger hit than the original? I wouldn't hold my breath on that. But I'm glad it's happening. Hopefully this time there's a story worth getting involved in though. The first was more like an excuse to see cool things...and I enjoyed that excuse. But it could be better.I do hope Olivia is back...they could do interesting things with that character, plus my baser instincts says I like seeing her in this cause I simply want to do naughty things to her.

if it can't be a bigger hit then what would be the point in making it? I think they can get a potentially bigger hit here, they need to raise the stakes and scale. Similar to X-Men 1 to X-Men 2
  • Like 1

if it can't be a bigger hit then what would be the point in making it? I think they can get a potentially bigger hit here, they need to raise the stakes and scale. Similar to X-Men 1 to X-Men 2

Well, I'm sure the intention is to be a bigger hit...I just am wary of it pulling it off, even if I'm stoked to see it get made.I will say though...Legacy managed to perform exactly on par with the greenlight expecatations of the film...which would be great, had they not jacked up the budget and P&A spend sometime before it came out. It's in that weird place of not being a bomb, and not being a hit, but still showing lots of potential...tricky to judge really whether a sequel can really achieve. Edited by kowhite