SteveJaros

Anyone else just get AMC Stubs A-List?

I upgraded my stubs membership to A-list about a month ago. I’ve used it a couple times and my wife used it once to go see a movie with some friends. I still have to purchase one or two extra tickets depending on if it’s just me and my son or all three of us go, so we still try to go to early showings when it’s just $5 a ticket or $5 Tuesdays. 

I’d  love to see them come out with some type of family plan or multi ticket plan. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://theslanted.com/2018/09/30820/amc-stubs-a-list-subscribers-count-380k/

So, with 380K subscribers (120K added in last 6 weeks), A-List is not ramping up as fast as MoviePass last year, but it is still quickly becoming an effect on the market.  Its ramp up is probably slower since MoviePass is still hanging around...

This is good news for me. I want A-List to grow enough for it to be profitable for AMC so they don't cancel it, but I don't want it to grow too fast, because then AMC might decide that the pricing is too low and ramp that up, and I don't want my local theater to be flooded with fellow A-Listers because then the benefits I get, such as a shorter line at concessions will be diminished.

Basically, A-List is a good deal for you if, like me, you already were seeing a ton of movies anyway (for at least a decade I have gone to about 10-12 movies a month) or if you wanted to go to more movies but ticket prices kept you from doing so. If you are someone who is going to see only around 3 movies a month anyway, it isn't really worth it, and a lot of people fall into that category. 

I mean, if you see a 140 movies a year, A-List's $240 annual cost works out to about $1.70 cents per movie ticket, an amazing deal. But if you see 40 movies a year, then it works out to about $6 a ticket, which is about what you would likely pay anyway, unless you live in a high-price market. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

A-List has now paid for itself on an ANNUAL basis, in just 80 days!

Since joining A-List on July 29th, I have seen 34 movies that would have cost $265, but with A-List have cost $62. Since the annual cost of A-List for me is $252 ($19.95 per month + local tax), from this point forward, for the next 9 1/2 months until July 29th of 2019, I will effectively be seeing movies "for free".

Today, I'm seeing the new "Halloween" flick in Dolby Cinema, which would normally cost $11. 

Hooray for A-List! 

Edited by SteveJaros

Everything I've seen so far:

Spoiler

Month 1:

The First Purge: $4.50

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: $4.50

Skyscraper: $7.30

Unfriended: Dark Web: $4.50

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: $4.50

Christopher Robin: $8.90

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies: $4.50

The Spy Who Dumped Me: $7.30

TOTAL: $46

Month 2:

The Meg: $4.50

Alpha 3D: $7.70

Crazy Rich Asians: $7.30

BlacKkKlansman: $4.50

The Nun: $7.30

Searching: $4.50

TOTAL: $35.80 ($81.80 running)

Month 3:

The Predator: $4.50

A Simple Favor: $7.30

The House with a Clock in Its Walls: $4.50

TOTAL: $16.30 ($98.10 running)

Month 4 (so far):

A Star Is Born: $4.50

Colette: $7.30

First Man: $7.30

Bad Times at the El Royale: $7.30

TOTAL: $26.40 ($124.50 running)

Even though I didn't see enough movies to hit $20 last month, I've already made up the difference this month, and my savings prior to that more than make up for it. I've already gotten over 6 months worth from it.

• Like 2

I've been looking into this to give it as a gift to a friend who sees a lot of movies and you have to sign up for a minimum 3 month commitment.  Also, I was looking to see if there's any discount on additional tickets and from what I gather there isn't, but you can buy them online without paying the service fee?  It wasn't completely clear, but I'm curious since I go with with him to see movies once or twice a month and getting the tickets together makes sense.

6 minutes ago, MattW said:

I've been looking into this to give it as a gift to a friend who sees a lot of movies and you have to sign up for a minimum 3 month commitment.  Also, I was looking to see if there's any discount on additional tickets and from what I gather there isn't, but you can buy them online without paying the service fee?  It wasn't completely clear, but I'm curious since I go with with him to see movies once or twice a month and getting the tickets together makes sense.

Yeah, service fees are waived for additional tickets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattW said:

There kind of is: You still earn "Stubs points" at a rate of a penny per point for the purchases you make, and those can add up. E.g., if you spend $7 on a bucket of popcorn, you earn 700 stubs points. Even better, you earn Stubs points for the $20.00 monthly A-List fee, which equals 2000 points.

E.g., in my area, an early-bird show for a typical movie (excluding 3D or IMAX) is around $5. So when I accumulate 5000 points, that is enough to get a free ticket to such a movie. I've been a member for 3 months now so accumulated 6000 Stubs points as a result of just paying the monthly fee, and used them the other day to see a fourth movie this week for free! 

Basically, at a rate of $5 per ticket, I will earn 5 free tickets a year from the Stubs points just from the membership fees for A-List.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

OK, my Three-month update on A-List. This is an important milestone because when I signed up AMC required a three-month commitment. So as of today (10/29) I am month to month with no further obligation:

July 29 - October 28:

38 movies that would have cost $298 seen for $63, a savings of $235.

Plus, of these 38 movies, 10 have been IMAX, 4 DOLBY Cinema, and two in 3D. 

And, I have not seen more movies than usual! Last year during the same three-month period I saw 36 movies, so the only thing that has changed is the dramatic reduction in the money I spent to see them.  

Since A-List is $252 for me for a year ($240 + $12 tax), I have now effectively paid off A-List for an entire year already with these savings, and for the next 9 months I will effectively be seeing films for "free". Hooray for A-List !!! 

Edited by SteveJaros

A-List report for month 4 .... October 29 - November 28.

Movies seen via A-List .........  14

Cost if I bought tickets at box office ............  $133

A-List cost ..................................................................  $21

Savings for month 4 ............................................. $112

Cumulative savings for 4 months** .............................. $347

** Since 7/29, I have seen 52 movies that would have cost $431 for the $84 I have paid to A-List.

14 minutes ago, YLF said:

It doesn’t seem the other chains are rushing to make their own subscription services which is weird.

Regal's working on their service. From what I read on Reddit, they were surveying a $20 per month plan that allowed you to see one movie per day. It'd be a decent alternative to A List if you don't have an AMC around or the AMC by you is inferior, but that plan wouldn't allow free double features like A List or potentially PLFs.

Edited by WrathOfHan

52 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Regal's working on their service. From what I read on Reddit, they were surveying a $20 per month plan that allowed you to see one movie per day. It'd be a decent alternative to A List if you don't have an AMC around or the AMC by you is inferior, but that plan wouldn't allow free double features like A List or potentially PLFs.

Oh, I didn’t know. That’s a tempting offer. But the thing is the chains don’t tend to show enough movies per month and don’t include enough indie films  which was why I got so much use out of movie pass, because I could go to a wide array of theaters. If that is the case with regals offer I think amc’s is better because of the PLF inclusion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YLF said:

Oh, I didn’t know. That’s a tempting offer. But the thing is the chains don’t tend to show enough movies per month and don’t include enough indie films  which was why I got so much use out of movie pass, because I could go to a wide array of theaters. If that is the case with regals offer I think amc’s is better because of the PLF inclusion. 

Keep in mind that survey was months ago. Who knows if Regal is even going to pursue it because they’ve been giving out a lot of free tickets lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Keep in mind that survey was months ago. Who knows if Regal is even going to pursue it because they’ve been giving out a lot of free tickets lately.

They don’t give out free tickets from my experience.  You can redeem your Crown Club credits for a free ticket if you have enough, but those are the only ones I’ve received

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

They don’t give out free tickets from my experience.  You can redeem your Crown Club credits for a free ticket if you have enough, but those are the only ones I’ve received

I recieved a free ticket earlier in the month that was valid for a week, but I also haven’t been to a Regal since Infinity War in April. Chances are it was just enticing me to come back.

14 hours ago, YLF said:

It doesn’t seem the other chains are rushing to make their own subscription services which is weird.

I have a Cinemark in my town, and they have their own subscription service, but IMO it is no kind of deal at all. IIRC, you pay $8.99 a month and that gets you one free ticket to a movie that month, plus the right to buy other tickets at $8.99 and a 20% discount on concessions (forgive me if I'm forgetting something else).

To me, that's a joke plan, because heck, I usually go to their early-bird showings, which are  $6, and I don't buy concessions. So that plan would cost me money each month.

IIRC, Cinemark has been frank that its plan is NOT designed to attract "super users" like myself who go to lots of movies, because those folks are like the 6'5" 300 pound dude who eats $30 worth of food at a $10 all you can eat buffet, they cost the chain money and they are the people who bankrupted Movie Pass. They want to attract the casual movie goer who only plans to see a movie or two a month, and when they go, see it as a big night out where you spend $40 on concessions with the wife and family. For those people, it can save them some money.

Edited by SteveJaros

FWIW, since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, there are some signs that my fear that A-List might become too popular is being realized: AMC recently announced a coming price boost in some states. Quoting a Variety article from November 5th:

"In California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York, the price will rise from $19.95 to $23.95 a month, starting on Jan. 9, 2019. The monthly cost will increase to $21.95 for subscribers in Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington state and D.C. Pricing will remain at $19.95 in the other states."

I'm lucky, as my state, Louisiana, is among those remaining at $20, for now at least.

Two other things: People who already signed up before the price increase are safe for 12 months, because AMC guaranteed no rate increase during your first 12 months as a member. So if you live in New York and signed up for $20 in August, you won't see that increase to $24 until next August.

Second, IIRC, AMC is still guaranteeing that 12 month rate for anyone who signs up before January 9th, 2019. So if you want to avoid that increase for now you can lock in the current rate for 12 months, if you sign up before 1/9/19. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

I really hope Regal follows through with their subscription model. We have A-List but it's 20 minutes away to the closest AMC and it's an AMC Classic, and a complete dump at that. Most disgusting theater I've ever been to. Literally wouldn't step foot in it if it wasn't for A-List. 

A-List report for month 6 .... December 29 - January 28

Movies seen via A-List this month ......... 11

Cost if I bought tickets at box office ............ $77

A-List cost .......................................................... $21

Savings for month 6 ....................................... $56

Cumulative savings for 6 months** .............................. $513

** Since 7/29/18, I have seen 75 movies that would have cost $639 for the $126 I have paid to A-List.