SteveJaros

Anyone else just get AMC Stubs A-List?

41 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I got it this past Sunday, and I used up my 3 movies for the week - Mamma Mia, MI6 (IMAX), and Blindspotting - by yesterday. Since those movies would have cost $5, $5, and $10 (for the IMAX) at the time i saw them, that's my $20 A-List fee for the month right there, and we are only 4 days in to the month.

When I see Christopher Robin on Friday, which I've already reserved as part of my three movies for next week, I will officially be "in the black" for the month, having gotten more benefits than the cost of the subscription.

how is your theater so cheap? 

4 hours ago, YLF said:

how is your theater so cheap? 

I live deep in the south of the USA, near New Orleans, and prices are lower here compared to the north and west. E.g., I saw a movie at AMC this morning at 11:30 AM (3 identical strangers) and the price was $5.02 with tax included. 

That's the other thing I do - I almost always go to movies that start before noon, because you get the cheapest "early bird" prices. E.g., that same film would have been $8.50 had I seen it at 2 PM,  and $10 if I saw it at 5 PM or later.

So I go early. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

If A-List successful, they should raise the price to $25 in couple of months.

Basically do the exact opposite that Moviepass did, they stuck by $10 for a year when basically everyone was saying it was a bad idea.

That's a reason I signed up this past weekend. I figured with MP on the threshold of demise, AMC would soon see a spike in A-list subscriptions and they would boost the price.

I was told that if I signed up now, the $19.95 a month price was guaranteed for me for a year even if they boosted it for new subscribers.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180816005658/en/Weeks-AMC-Stubs-A-List-Records-1-Million

Some good nuggets in here, including:

•  AMC also announced that A-List has recently crossed the quarter-million membership mark, now having more than 260,000 paid enrolled members.
  • A-List members now account for more than 5 percent of AMC’s weekly attendance. Because A-List allows additional full-price tickets to be purchased during the reservation process, AMC reports that in the last week, for example, about 40 percent of A-List moviegoers purchased additional paid tickets to see a movie. A-List members themselves now account for more than 4 percent of AMC’s U.S. attendance.

• A-List is also showing broad geographic and demographic appeal. A-List members have utilized the service at each of AMC’s 640 locations spread throughout all 44 states in the U.S. in which AMC has theatres. Membership levels are strong across all age and ethnicity groups, and of special interest fully 28% of enrolled members are under the age of 30.

• AMC noted that 45% of A-List members were not previously signed up to its AMC Stubs loyalty programs.

• “We expect that AMC Stubs A-List will be a permanent part of our marketing activity going forward. It should be reassuring to hear that AMC is broadening our full 12-month guarantee for each member from the date of his or her 2018 enrollment against any changes in AMC Stubs A-List program pricing, terms or benefits."

Benefits are guaranteed to stay for the first year, along with the already-known price lock-in.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The part about people buying additional tickets rings true. The last three movies I've seen at AMC (including one this week) I bought an extra ticket.

The future Mrs. Pink? Is she Asian or are you bringing shame to your family? :thinking:

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The future Mrs. Pink? Is she Asian or are you bringing shame to your family? :thinking:

2 times were my brother and the other time was a friend who went to Blackkklansman with me (they paid me back)

⚰️

2 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180816005658/en/Weeks-AMC-Stubs-A-List-Records-1-Million

Some good nuggets in here, including:

Benefits are guaranteed to stay for the first year, along with the already-known price lock-in.

It took Cinemark 12 months to get to 350K subscribers...it took AMC 6 weeks to get to 260K...I think we are seeing a wide swap from Moviepass to AMC, which Cinemark and especially Regal will have to respond to, since they won't be getting full-price ticket buyers in to their non-blockbuster showings...

Another 4 weeks of growth like AMC is having, and I expect Regal to announce a plan by mid-Sept...

"This figure indicates some 85,000 A-List enrollments in just the past two weeks. AMC previously publicly reported 175,000 enrollments on July 31."  

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just completed my first month on A-List (July 29 - August 28). For my $20 I got to see:

11 movies, 4 of them in IMAX (one IMAX 3D).

Cost to see these movies would have been $92, so I saved $72.

This coming month? I have already reserved three of the Marvel 10th Anniversary IMAX screenings (Iron Man, Captain America, the Avengers). Those would cost $27 so by Monday I will already be "ahead" in terms of savings.

And that's another point: A-List does say it reserves the right to exclude certain special showings, but so far I haven't encountered that. I saw the special engagement showing of 2001 in IMAX last week, and I'm seeing these Marvel special releases as well. 

Good deal so far!

OK, my two-month update on A-List:

July 29 - September 28:

26 movies that would have cost $198 seen for $42, a savings of $156.

Plus, of these 26 movies, 9 have been IMAX, 1 DOLBY Cinema, and two in 3D. 

And, I have not seen more movies than usual! Last September (2017) I saw 13 movies. So my movie going has not increased, only the price I pay to see them has declined dramatically. 

Since A-List is $252 for me for a year ($240 + $12 tax), I will have "paid off" a year of A-List sometimes during this month, month three. After that, for 9 months, I will essentially be seeing movies for "free". 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 4

And .... while I have not seen more movies as a result of A-List, the type of movies I have seen has changed: In 2017, during August and September I saw one IMAX/Large Format movie, thanks to A-List, as mentioned above during those months this year I saw 10 such movies.

So A-List has not only saved a ton of money in terms of ticket cost, it has allowed me to 'upgrade' to IMAX/Dolby showings that otherwise I would have found to be too expensive. E.g., this Tuesday, I will see "Night School" in Dolby Cinema. That is a $12 ticket compared to $6 for a regular matinee showing, so if it wasn't for A-List no way would I see it in the DC format. 

• Like 1

... and one last shout-out to A-List: I just looked at my AMC account and I noticed that my Rewards Points had gone from around 600 to around 2700 but couldn't figure out why. I then noticed that AMC had just charged me $21 for my third month of A-List, which begins today (29th).

I had forgotten that you get rewards points, a point per 1/10 penny, for your monthly A-List fee, same as if you buy concessions. Since early-bird movies cost $5 at my local AMC, I need 5000 points to get a free movie ticket. Since I am getting 2100 rewards points every month from my A-List fee, that means that over the course of a year, I will get 5 free movie tickets over and above my A-List movies because of the rewards points!

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

https://theslanted.com/2018/09/30820/amc-stubs-a-list-subscribers-count-380k/

So, with 380K subscribers (120K added in last 6 weeks), A-List is not ramping up as fast as MoviePass last year, but it is still quickly becoming an effect on the market.  Its ramp up is probably slower since MoviePass is still hanging around...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

AMC A list has been really awesome!!

I've seen many Dolby/IMAX movies because of this subscription. I have never been to an IMAX and Dolby movie until I got this awesome subscription. Moviepass, as expected, never offered those premium benefits, so that was nice to enjoy them.

I canceled Moviepass after they introduced the stupid price surging and when they price surged movies that had ALREADY been available for more than 6 weeks (Incredibles 2, Ocean's 8)!

Because of AMC A-List, I have already seen 6 movies this month and I was able to see Crazy Rich Asians 3 times (2 times in regular and 1 time in Dolby)!!!! I saved 70% since joining in July!!!!! I look forward to seeing Venom in IMAX 3D and A Star is Born in Dolby this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I highly recommend it if you have an AMC nearby. As for Sinemia, I've heard horror stories due to lack of customer service that AMC has. The Reddit and Twitter will explain why Sinemia has been a disappointment.

Edited by LegendaryBen
  • Like 2