SteveJaros

Anyone else just get AMC Stubs A-List?

I've been an AMC Stubs Premiere member for a couple years now but today I upgraded to A-List. I'm ideal for this, I see about 10 movies a month and most of those at one of the two big AMC multiplexes that are within  10 minutes of my house. Still, I'd been on the fence about it for the past few weeks.

Was I motivated by the collapse of Moviepass to pull the trigger? Partially. I never had Moviepass but I figure that once its demise is official, AMC might jack up the price of A-List so I wanted to lock in for a year at the $19.95 price point. 

Saw "Mama Mia 2" a couple hours after getting A-List. It's a little cumbersome because I see films with my wife and we figured only one of us needs to have A-List. So I used the AMC app to get my "free" ticket first (easy as pie), then just bought hers separately for the regular price. But crucially, I do get points credit for her ticket price as well. That's nice, because with premiere we'd get about 5 free movies each accumulating those points. Can still do that with A-List, at least that's what I was told. We'll see.  

Edited by SteveJaros
topicality
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I’ve had it for 2 and a half weeks now and used it four times already. It’s a great deal considering I see 90% of my movies at AMC. Once I move to a new area in January for college, the Dolby/IMAX perk is going to rule.

Yes, I'm lucky, both of my local AMC theaters have an IMAX, and one of them also has a Dolby ATMOS theater, and that one also has them both with the new 'luxury lounger' reserved seating.

I've got MI6 in IMAX on my to-do list for Tuesday, LOL. Will be nice to just pay for one ticket and me and the wife will both get to see it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm considering it. I was never on the MoviePass is a guaranteed success train by the way. No way was I putting any money into that company until I saw whether it was going to survive.

I don't think anyone thought MoviePass was a guaranteed success. Their business plan was literally selling you tickets for a fraction of what they paid for them. It was never, ever gonna be sustainable at that price point. 

Definitely was worth putting money into as a consumer though; nothing but upside for the period it survived. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DeWeese said:

If only I had an amc theater within 40 miles of me...smh just regal and cinemark 👎🏻

Same. I'm waiting to see what those chains will be doing in light of MoviePass' demise (because we all know they sure as hell will take advantage of it).

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Same. I'm waiting to see what those chains will be doing in light of MoviePass' demise (because we all know they sure as hell will take advantage of it).

Cinemark has that 8.99 movie club but it’s  one ticket and 20% off concessions so it’s pretty much worthless. Regal is the intriguing one since the company that bought them has a subscription service overseas 

• Like 2

Just now, DeWeese said:

Cinemark has that 8.99 movie club but it’s  one ticket and 20% off concessions so it’s pretty much worthless. Regal is the intriguing one since the company that bought them has a subscription service overseas 

Yeah, Cinemark's thing is clearly designed for people who only to the movies once a month and not those of us who actually go to the movies for, ya know, the movie. They're almost certain to change it now though.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Cinemark's thing is clearly designed for people who only to the movies once a month and not those of us who actually go to the movies for, ya know, the movie. They're almost certain to change it now though.

I hope but I’ve read amc only came out with the unlimited A list as a direct response to MP, I’ve heard rumblings that a few months after MP finally does go down in flames they will either discontinue it or severely jack up the price let’s hope not. I’d love to see regal get a subscription plan hell I’d even pay 30 a month if it meant premium formats as well as the standard 2D

12 minutes ago, DeWeese said:

I hope but I’ve read amc only came out with the unlimited A list as a direct response to MP, I’ve heard rumblings that a few months after MP finally does go down in flames they will either discontinue it or severely jack up the price let’s hope not. I’d love to see regal get a subscription plan hell I’d even pay 30 a month if it meant premium formats as well as the standard 2D

AMC was looking to do a subscription service before MP reduced its price, it was slated to launch in December of this year or early in 2019. However, since MP took off they released it sooner and at a lower rate than they originally had planned. They talked to investors and said they know theyll lose money on it the first year, the second year break even, and in the third year start making a profit on it is what they predict. It seems they have plans to keep it. They already have a similar sub in England.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

I frequent AMC's mostly now since I discovered I liked dolby for blockbusters and I have a fairly new AMC near me with recliners. There are so many AMC's within 20 mins from me so I guess Im lucky. The AMC at universal has a real IMAX screen, the dolby in burbank is nice, and the location in fallbrook is the closest one to me with recliners. The only thing is that theres an indie movie theater that I got to go to with moviepass that is five mins from my house. They have real butter for popcorn and their concessions are so much cheaper than amc. 

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeWeese said:

You can buy more tickets for 8.99 each and unused tickets roll over so if you live in an area where evening shows are more than $9 (i.e. most urban areas) you're saving money as long as you average at least one movie a month.

• Like 1

Honestly, I’m fine if/when AMC raises the price to $30-35. I’ll be living in an area where tickets approach $14 on weekend nights, so saving money will still be extremely easy. Hell, even $40 a month would still be reasonable. If I am still living where I currently do (god forbid) when the price increase happens, that would be a bit too high because I’d need to see 4 evening shows, 5 afternoon matinees, or 7 early shows to break even. Considering there was a month this year where I only saw 4 movies in theaters, that would be an extreme waste of money for me during some months, but it’d also give AMC the profit they’re looking for. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeWeese said:

Yes, there is also a Cinemark a few miles from my house (that's basically what we have around me - two AMCs, a Cinemark, and also a Movie Tavern), and i go there pretty often too. But their "movie club" is useless to me as it is to you.

What this means is that now that I have A-List, I'll be going a lot less frequently to Cinemark, because they are behind the curve here. 

For movie programs, Cinemark has revealed they have 300K club members (compared to MoviePass's 3M)...so, it is obvious that their program did not have the past love that MP's did.

However, I think Cinemark will watch AMC's new program for a few months before making any changes in their program.  If AMC only gets to the same 300K in the same time, it may signal that even at $20/month, that's too high to move folks into plans...so they'd just keep theirs, which has the advantage of losing them no money ever...

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

For movie programs, Cinemark has revealed they have 300K club members (compared to MoviePass's 3M)...so, it is obvious that their program did not have the past love that MP's did.

However, I think Cinemark will watch AMC's new program for a few months before making any changes in their program.  If AMC only gets to the same 300K in the same time, it may signal that even at $20/month, that's too high to move folks into plans...so they'd just keep theirs, which has the advantage of losing them no money ever...

That's not too bad for one chain though. I'm sure AMC will get more than that considering the value of A-List, especially for heavy movie-goers.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2

Since I'm posting subscriber numbers, here's the update on Sinemia's - note, they don't provide one, but they do say this..."Sinemia does not publish membership figures although Oguz says that the company is growing at a 50% monthly rate." 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamos/2018/07/17/can-sinemia-pull-a-stunner-and-win-the-us-movie-subscription-wars/#292f99b95a8b

It is one I've looked at, but yearly purchase and the "pain in the butt" purchasing (just like MP) is making me not quite pull the trigger...although maybe in September...love someone has tried something family oriented, even if it's not what I want exactly...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

That's not too bad for one chain though. I'm sure AMC will get more than that considering the value of A-List, especially for heavy movie-goers.

This. A List doesn’t even need to breach 1M subscribers to be a massive success for the company. MoviePass was growing fast because it was such an insane deal that many thought wouldn’t last long. With A List and whatever other services come from the other chains, there’s no concern that it’ll go away.

• Like 1

I’m riding MP until it completely dies haha

When the time comes I’ll upgrade to A-list as I’m already an AMC Stubs premiere member. It probably means we’ll see less movies in a month though as I’ll still have to be paying for two tickets. We generally use the points we accumulate towards the concessions anyway. 

• Like 1