NickDisney13

Fantasy Island | February 14, 2020 | Sony/Blumhouse | Michael Pena, Lucy Hale

On 2/17/2020 at 8:18 PM, MCKillswitch123 said:

For all of this movie's issues - and I haven't seen it, so I can't comment - at least it has Lucy Hale looking really fucking hot. Maybe the hottest she's ever looked.

She plays

Spoiler

a young girl nobody loved nor any boy was ever interested in. It was hysterical when that twist happened. She is the villain all along because she wants revenge on all the other island members for being connected to the death of the one boy who loved her. Lucy Hale man. She is totally undesirable. Nobody would hit that. Nobody. I would walk past that on the street and be like HELL NO.

I was in stitches, like Hollywood isn't even trying anymore, they cast the hottest chicks for these kinds of roles.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, aladdino said:

no, i enjoy good horror like midsommar, hereditary or the babadook, but the conjuring universe movies are pretty bad, and not 'fun' bad like TOT 

It’s all opinion. “Good horror” lol. 

for example: I think The Babadook is a 1 star film. It’s scare free and annoying. 

I thought Midsommar was great, lent the Blu-ray to my brother and his partner and they turned it off after an hour because they both hated it. 

Each to their own. 

Edited by Krissykins

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:52 PM, JB33 said:

Ugh, brutal. 

Even though @dudalb is right about Blumhouse's business model, it sucks that they're all about quantity and not quality. Blumhouse used to mean you were in for a good horror experience. They were the cream of the crop for the genre. Now it seems like we get a few good ones from every studio, but WB seems to be the best, especially when they've got The Conjuring universe going for them.

I sort of agree with you but if area low budget studio speciliazing in a specific genre (with only a occasional exception)  quantity over quality is sort of to be expected. It's a business ,in the end. 

And, frankly, that the core horror audience is so tolereant of low quality films has a lot to do with this. 

Edited by dudalb

7 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is Fantasy Island even a horror movie? Most reviews I’ve read say it’s plays out like a fantasy adventure movie until the last 15 minutes where it remembers it’s supposed to be horror.

Interesting. Which means that somebody at Blumhouse did want to appeal to the fans of the show. Maybe it's a case of trying to please everybody and ending up pleasing nobody.

One of the criticisms that keeps recurring is that the film seems to have problems in deciding exactly what it wants to be. At times it seems to be a slightly more adult version of the TV show, at others a slasher movie, at others supernatural horror thriller. In other words, a mess.

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Going to see this today. With very low expectations obviously. 

Can’t be as bad or incompetently directed/written/acted/produced as The Grudge surely? 

Well, The Grudge has a 20% Tomatometer and this movie has a 8% Tomatometer

General audiences liked Fantasy Island more, though.  CinemaScore is C-