NickDisney13

Fantasy Island | February 14, 2020 | Sony/Blumhouse | Michael Pena, Lucy Hale

How can they be allowed to keep the embargo until after the movie opens?

Like, are studios allowed hypothetically to say that the embargo is NEVER lifted? Or something like "Saturday on its second weekend"? Because this already seems nuts

If they don't want critics to tell the movie sucks, then the right thing would be not be screening the movie for them...

On letterboxd there's a user saying the movie is very complicated with a very complex twist, lol. 

I have no idea. I think the first trailer gave away something important when

Spoiler

Maggie Q's character said it was someone's else fantasy.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

Still surprising in this day and age a feature film can be made by a major studio for 7 million bucks. Ten Million seems to be the minimum.

I would not be surprised if the small budget  shows up on screen, with some shoddy/cheap looking scenes.

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Still surprising in this day and age a feature film can be made by a major studio for 7 million bucks. Ten Million seems to be the minimum.

I would not be surprised if the small budget  shows up on screen, with some shoddy/cheap looking scenes.

poor lucy hale isnt getting 1m after truth or dare huh, lol

7 minutes ago, aladdino said:

poor lucy hale isnt getting 1m after truth or dare huh, lol

Hale is still more of a TV star then a movie star.

She is going to have to be a success in a film with a major budget before she can get the big bucks.

And yeah, Waldrow and Hale seem to be a team after Truth and Dare and this.

Waldrow seem to speclize in making films on a really,really, low budget. 

Edited by dudalb

38 minutes ago, aladdino said:

disaster or not it doesnt make sense thats it not being screened for critics, ouija and truth or dare were panned and did fine

Yeah, if you hire Waldrow as a director, expect to get panned. The guy has never made a decently reviewed film in his career. I think the best he ever did was Kick Ass 2, with a whopping 33% at RT.

If you hire waldow as a director on the grounds his small budget films generally make a profit ,fine. But you should forget about good reviews or actually having a quality film.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

7 million is more than enough for small-scale horror-thrillers. Ready or Not's budget was 6M lol.

Yeah, it's now official that the movie won't have previews

https://screenrant.com/fantasy-island-movie-no-thursday-night-previews-why/

Anyway, the director really makes movies that critics hate. I loved Never Back Down, though. God, I had fun with it. Thanks to that being profitable, we got 2 sequels ( both directed by Michael Jai White and featuring him ).

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

The Blumhouse model is to pay talent on the back end which is why their budgets are consistently low (though if the movie breaks out it probably costs them more on the back end than if they paid upfront)

Studio specialty houses like Searchlight and Focus make films at that cost, and of course Indies do it all the time and then are bought and released by Majors.