chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

16th - Luke Skywalker - Mark Hamill - Star Wars

The first of two straight characters with unhealthy relationships with family members...

The Star Wars posse appears again this time with the hero of the first trilogy. As a non-fan of Star Wars (well specifically the original ones), every time I do this list I expect Solo to blow Luke away and every time I think Luke ends up on top. That does kind of surprise me, but there must be a good reason that he keeps besting his seemingly cooler ally.

This is probably still not the last that we see of Star Wars, but it is starting to suggest that a certain old man of the original trilogy is not appearing in his original form at this point.... 

• Like 9

21 hours ago, chasmmi said:

25th - Rocky - Sylvester Stallone - Rocky

The Bullwinkle solo project was less successful

I'm gonna go out and say that Stallone's 21st century Rocky performances are better than his 20th century ones. This is a character that has managed to stand the test of time for 7 films and counting. It's a great role and it is easy to forget that Sly is actually a pretty great actor (and director) at times. 

I personally was expecting Rocky to challenge the top 10. I'm even more surprised that Rambo missed the mist entirely down in 111th...

so low.... 

15th - Norman Bates - Anthony Perkins - Psycho

A film that apparently could only be improved upon with the addition of Vince Vaughn Masturbating.

The highest placed black and white character. The highest rated Hitchcock character, The last film from pre-1970. Psycho is one of those films that you know all the major steps, even if you haven't seen it. He is one of the original psychopaths and slasher killers, and for its trailblazing nature alone, deserves a spot on the list. 

• Like 8

14th - James Bond - Sean Connery - James Bond

One of the few Connery roles, where his character being the most Scottish person ever actually worked out well. 

The original James Bond of course makes its mark as the most popular Bond. A hair away from the top 10 and its hard to argue against that. Unsurprisingly, this is the only time we will see Sean on this list at this late stage. His other appearances on the list at large were Daniel Dravot in 258th and Henry Jones Sr in 369th. 

I still wish he would have turned out to be the old Scottish guy in the Skyfall hideout.

• Like 5

13th - Yoda - Frank Oz- Star Wars

Lads and ladettes, I think we have to sit ourselves down and consider the fact that we just voted a puppet as the 13th best character in movies ever. 

The Star Wars train keeps chugging along with another big hitter in Yoda. Although I do believe that both him and Luke were top 10 finishers last time around, so there seems to be a slight slip in their final positions from previous years (not that 13th and 16th is exactly low). 

I think it is clear at this point what the number one Star Wars character is at this point. The ones that got closest to the top 100 but missed are:

R2D2 - 102nd

QUi Gon Jin - 117th

Anakin Skywalker - 120th

Emperor Palpatine - 142nd

• Like 6

12th - Captain America - Chris Evans - Avengers

Best Hollywood Chris apparently confirmed...

I know the film has its fans, but if you had told me after First Avenger that Cap would end up at 12th on this list, I'd have wondered what crazy juice the forum was drinking. However, fast forward about a decade and he has really become a  great part of the Avengers gang. Winter Soldier took him to a new level and since then, he has been a cool and vital lynch pin of most of the major films. 

That being said, the best Avenger is still Thor and screw you all for not voting him higher than 109th. 

• Like 8
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 2

11th - Gollum - Andy Serkis - Lord of the Rings

I just a few positions ago mentioned us voting for a puppet, now there is a bloody dude in a computerised full-body condom thing in 11th. 

A historic role in cinema history. This likely did for mo-cap what Genie did for celebrity voiceover, and even 20 years later Serkis is still untouchable in the art. It is almost a crime that he still has not received any nomination for any of these roles. 

Gollum is our first LOTR character on this list since Aragorn in 68th. It has been a long wait, but Gollum is one of the best literary characters ever realised on the big screen and this has been reflected as much here. In fact only 3 other characters left on the list appeared on the printed page before the cinema reel. 

Gollum was also the 4th most popular character by number of votes. His 16 was bettered only by 3 other characters that are all still to come. 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1

Oh wow incredibly surprised to see Captain America higher than Iron Man. Did not expect that. 

Also pleasantly surprised to see Gollum so high up. Hopefully this means Gandalf is in the top 10

Ranks on my list

4th - Luke Skywalker

5th - Spiderman

9th - Yoda

11th - James Bond

12th - Rocky

14th - Gollum

25th - Captain America

29th - Norman Bates

33rd - Han Solo

59th - Freddy Krueger

• Like 1

10th - Marty McFly - Michael J Fox - Back to the Future

I'm kind of worried because I colour each character yellow when they are ticked off the list, and well Marty doesn't take kindly to being yellow.

The second half of the BTTF duo begins our top 10. This is one of my favourite film trilogies of all time, up there with Kung Fu Panda and the Apes Films. Its a wonderful franchise and Marty Mcfly is one of the greatest characters we shall ever see and this vote clearly reflects I am not alone in this opinion. 

• Like 11

9th - The Terminator - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Terminator

Technically Arnie has played about 4 different terminators in his time and thus should be here like 3 times right. 

The most iconic Arnie role by a long way. The closest other roles were True Lies in 200th, and Dutch from Predator in 281st. Now I know there are folks that prefer Terminator 1 to 2 and also vice versa, but here is a very potentially upsetting opinion of mine:

Arnie's best performance as the Terminator is his performance in Genysys. It is far far far from the best film, it is not a good film at all. But Arnie himself is the best I ever saw him in the role. Although, If Arnie is the standout performer in your film from an acting standpoint... yeah. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

8th - Hannibal Lecter - Anthony Hopkins - Silence of the Lambs 

The battle of the accents commences below in 3...2...1...

This may be the shortest initial performance of any character on the list. Obviously he got more and more development as the films, but I think a lot of the aura around this character is distilled purely from the 8 or 9 minutes in Silence. It's an amazing performance to do so much with so little and I am personally very happy indeed to see him finish so high. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

9th - The Terminator - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Terminator

Technically Arnie has played about 4 different terminators in his time and thus should be here like 3 times right. 

The most iconic Arnie role by a long way. The closest other roles were True Lies in 200th, and Dutch from Predator in 281st. Now I know there are folks that prefer Terminator 1 to 2 and also vice versa, but here is a very potentially upsetting opinion of mine:

Arnie's best performance as the Terminator is his performance in Genysys. It is far far far from the best film, it is not a good film at all. But Arnie himself is the best I ever saw him in the role. Although, If Arnie is the standout performer in your film from an acting standpoint... yeah. 

Arnolds most iconic role, nothing more to say than that

• Thanks 1

7th - Rose Dewitt Bucanon Buccaneer Dawson Winslett Bukater - Kate Winslett - Titanic

Female Lead of the best non-animated Titanic film.

Our third highest placed female character comes in at number 7 (is there really any point trying to pretend nobody can guess the general contents of the top 6 at this point?). Rose beat Lecter by just 1 point and may I think be the highest placed character to not kill anything or anyone in their films. Although she was directly responsible for freezing poor Leo to death as she was too comfy on her nice big floaty door thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

6th - Gandalf - Ian McKellen - Lord of the Rings

The man who put the future of the world in the hands of a tiny little man and his drunk friends. 

I was surprised at the consistent popularity of Gandalf on this list. He received 17 votes (only two characters received more) and is the second highest character not to place 1st on any list. He is the highest placed LOTR character, the 2nd highest placed character to come from literature, and overall one of the most recognisable and beloved characters in cinema. 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1