chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

1 hour ago, baumer said:

We need a new love icon or something. Because I would absolutely love to hit the love icon for dock brown. I can't remember exactly what I placed him but I think he was in my top 25. Just one of the most awesome characters ever created.

Agreed, Doc and Marty are just pure cinematic charm embodied. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baumer said:

We need a new love icon or something. Because I would absolutely love to hit the love icon for dock brown. I can't remember exactly what I placed him but I think he was in my top 25. Just one of the most awesome characters ever created.

Leo will do for now

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chasmmi said:

38th - Ian Malcolm - JEff Goldblum - Jurassic Park

We were so concerned about whether he could make the list, we never considered whether he should.

One of cinema's best and highest grossing horror film's iconic characters. There was a glorious time when Jeff Goldblum walked the Earth and stood supreme above all he surveyed. The character of Ian Malcolm has almost all the good lines in Jurassic Park and he adds an extra level of charm to a film that was already overflowing with quality in ever corner. 

Alan Grant finished 180th with the T-Rex herself in 488th. 

Ian Malcolm was my #1. Absolutely love him as a character! He is great in JP & LW!

• Like 1

34th - Forrest Gump - Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump

Life is like a box of chocolates, as soon as it hits 30 degrees I start to melt and look disgusting

Finally another actor puts two characters on the list as Hanks joins NIcholson in the multi-role club. Some Tele-shaped people don't believe in the quality of Forrest GUmp, but they are wrong. This is Hanks' best role and it happens to be in a great film (maybe Zemeckis' 4th best film).

The third Hanks character to get any votes was Captain Miller which at times also threatened to join the list, but ended up in about 165th place.

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

33rd - Princess Leia - Carrie Fisher - Star Wars

The most powerful superhuman Jesus figure in the whole Star Wars Universe

One of the female characters that some maybe thought would be in the running for top female character. This is actually the first Star Wars character in the top 100. (There was one at 102nd). There is more than a couple left to chart, but here is a list of anyone that finished outside the top 200:

C3PO - 203rd (9000 places too high)

Chewbacca - 256th

Kylo Ren - 261st

Count Douku - 270th

BB8 - 285th

Padme - 305th

Rose Tico - 681st

• Like 11
  • Disbelief 1

32nd - Obi Wan Kenobi - Euan McGregor - Star Wars

This won't trigger anybody...

It's a Star Wars Double bill as she now see the Prequel version of Benny Ben Kenobi finish a lot higher than one would expect. Time will only tell if this beats the OG Obiwan (which I will only confirm was in the top 200). 

This is the only prequel only performance to make the top 100. So no Jar Jar BInks :( 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 2

31st - Batman - Michael Keaton - Batman

The original and best... with the exception of the one that came before and maybe the one that was better.

Has any franchise consistently caused such uproar and anger over the casting of characters only to have people fall in love with said characters when they see the films? Keaton caused internet meltdowns before there was an internet to meltdown on, but now 30 years later, he is still the most popular Batman on our list. 

He is one of the more Iconic OG film superheroes and Keaton himself proves he can still nail the comic book schtick as he did another excellent job with The Vulture just last year. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

There's been a lot of solid trolling in this thread but that choice for the Leia scene is a bridge too far

I looked on youtube, and outside of that one clip it was gold bikinis all the way down. :) 

...or I'm just messing around a bit with the video choices at times

• Like 1

30th - Jack Dawson - Leonardo DiCaprio - Titanic

If only he'd found a bigger door...

We return to Cameronland with Leo's soul representation on the list. His nearest other challenger was from Inception in 208th. Titanic is a great film that seems to flip flop between being overrated and underrated as it made all the money, then was hated by many for being around so long and making all the money, and now it seems to be back in vogue to like it again. 

One thing about Titanic that always jarred with me was that it was nominated for pretty much every Oscar except best actor. DiCaprio is in my opinion the soul of that film and brings so much to the role. IF everything else was Oscar worthy then so was Leo's performance. If it wasn't, then it shouldn't have won 47 Oscars. But that is just me. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

29th - Dorothy Gale - Judy Garland - The Wizard o Oz

The Hills are alive, with the sound of munchkins...

Does this technically count as a black and white performance? It's obviously a return to classic cinema and one of the biggest musicals of all time. Dorothy is a character that is loved by millions to the point that she was another contender for top female character in previous years. 

She is the top musical character though, and that beat off a lot of strong competition... 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

30th - Jack Dawson - Leonardo DiCaprio - Titanic

If only he'd found a bigger door...

We return to Cameronland with Leo's soul representation on the list. His nearest other challenger was from Inception in 208th. Titanic is a great film that seems to flip flop between being overrated and underrated as it made all the money, then was hated by many for being around so long and making all the money, and now it seems to be back in vogue to like it again. 

One thing about Titanic that always jarred with me was that it was nominated for pretty much every Oscar except best actor. DiCaprio is in my opinion the soul of that film and brings so much to the role. IF everything else was Oscar worthy then so was Leo's performance. If it wasn't, then it shouldn't have won 47 Oscars. But that is just me. 

Agreed Leo was great it's always irritated me aswell.

• Like 2

surprised Obi-Wan made it only at #32.  Leo Titanic powered more points?  tisk tisk tisk.  Also Batman's Keaton at #31??  A lot of old school fans apparently.  Seems The Dark Knight Trilogy did not have any impact with the submission of other Batman characters with Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeifer resulting so high with points. I voted 2 votes for the character Anakin Skywalker + Darth Vader, but I only voted once for Obi-Wan.  

exciting that Colonel Quaritch scored that high with 5 strong votes in a consensus.  I think with that kind of weight, he should somehow find his way to the AFI's top characters someday with the proper advertising.

unless it is just a fluke considering the high placement everyday James Cameron characters.

lol, now I just have to wonder which ones placed above #30 where Jack Dawson sits. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dX airdry zid said:

surprised Obi-Wan made it only at #32.  Leo Titanic powered more points?  tisk tisk tisk.  Also Batman's Keaton at #31??  A lot of old school fans apparently.  Seems The Dark Knight Trilogy did not have any impact with the submission of other Batman characters with Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeifer resulting so high with points. I voted 2 votes for the character Anakin Skywalker + Darth Vader, but I only voted once for Obi-Wan.  

exciting that Colonel Quaritch scored that high with 5 strong votes in a consensus.  I think with that kind of weight, he should somehow find his way to the AFI's top characters someday with the proper advertising.

unless it is just a fluke considering the high placement everyday James Cameron characters.

lol, now I just have to wonder which ones placed above #30 where Jack Dawson sits. 

rose, ripley, sarah connor and T-800 yet to appear!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

32nd - Obi Wan Kenobi - Euan McGregor - Star Wars

This won't trigger anybody...

It's a Star Wars Double bill as she now see the Prequel version of Benny Ben Kenobi finish a lot higher than one would expect. Time will only tell if this beats the OG Obiwan (which I will only confirm was in the top 200). 

This is the only prequel only performance to make the top 100. So no Jar Jar BInks :( 

Too low, I blame the Cameron brigaders

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

That's because it was prequel Obi-Wan. Chas split him off from OT Obi-Wan even though they are the exact same character in one continuity

I think prequel Obi-Wan just got a lot of strong votes but not enough overall broad support. 

Michael Keaton's Batman is likely made for these kind of lists.   The Batman that was established in the 90s....  I can only imagine.

It seems fans do not want to budge from their favorite characters and I still have yet to get around to digging a bunker to put all my Star Wars prequel stuff in.