chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

Obi-Wan's performances in the prequels get a summation vote from me.  He carried the prequels through all the phases with his involvement in the Jedi character.  It would be hard to gauge this characters story based on the 3 prequel movies though, and then taking Alec Guinness's part as a unit of a second story. 

If I had to pick a favorite Star Wars with Obi-Wan it would be The Phantom Menace because I would wonder what happened before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What is a brigade in this context? Jack Dawson is objectively and subjectively better than Prequel Obi-Wan. No need to be salty about it. 

I was more talking about the cardboard Avatar characters, but Jack's fairly lame too.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, PANDA said:

I was more talking about the cardboard Avatar characters, but Jack's fairly lame too.

The Avatar characters were placed behind Obi Wan so it's objectively and subjectively not the reason Obi-Wan placed so poorly. You're going to need better excuses than that star wars boy.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Avatar characters were placed behind Obi Wan so it's objectively and subjectively not the reason Obi-Wan placed so poorly. You're going to need better excuses than that star wars boy.

Nah, I’m gonna blame the Cameron brigaders

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

In your opinion.... 

HMMMMMM

28th - Wolverine - Hugh Jackman - X Men

The best part of X-Men First Class

And we get another character that perhaps wasn't considered the perfect choice when first cast. Some 6" Australian that sang in Oklahoma was suddenly going to be the 5"3 Logan and not even bother to wear yellow, clearly a disaster in the making. 

Instead what we got is perhaps the most enduring single role in all of comic books. Wolverine has appeared in 11 X Men films and it still isn't getting old. That is pretty damn impressive. It is probably unsurprising that he is the highest rated X Men character.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

27th - Superman - Christopher Reeves - Superman

I did truly believe that a man could fly... for three out of four films at least.

40 years on and still as beloved as ever, Superman hits the list just outside the top 25 and Reeves even now just feels like the perfect Superman. Charming, naive and believing in the human way of doing things. 

Lois Lane finished in 358th. Henry Cavil or BRendon Routh did not receive votes. All of which puts Reeves' Superman as the number one DC hero on our list.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

26th - The Dude - Jeff Bridges - The Big LEbowski 

I thought this was a Parker/Stone character

I've never been the biggest Coen fan personally and as such have not seen this. There are only three more films left on the list that I need to say that for thankfully, although by this stage I think any film I haven't seen s guaranteed to annoy somebody.

The Dude is Bridges' and the Coens highest place finish on this list and it was the only Bridges role to get voted for at all. 

We are about to enter the top 25 in a bit, and what will be nice for me is that once I have dealt with 23rd, the number one films I haven't watched will already be down to just the one. 

• Like 13

Glad to see Jack Dawson get mentioned.  Agree with Chas....he's the anchor of the film and to see it nominated for 57 Oscars but not best actor is a real slap in the face.  

Reeves as Superman is a great entry.

Same with Dorothy Gale.

Keaton's Batman is a good choice as well.

• Like 5

Surprised but happy to see Logan so high. Funny thing is, he was 28th on my list too!

And Reeves Superman was in my top 10! Many iterations of Superman have come since, both on big and small screens. But none have come even close to being as good as this superman. This was the first super hero movie I had seen and I have loved them since I first saw them. 

Both of these performances jave become quintessential for their characters. Just like how the mind jumps to Ledger when thinking of Joker, it is the same for these 2 characters

25th - Rocky - Sylvester Stallone - Rocky

The Bullwinkle solo project was less successful

I'm gonna go out and say that Stallone's 21st century Rocky performances are better than his 20th century ones. This is a character that has managed to stand the test of time for 7 films and counting. It's a great role and it is easy to forget that Sly is actually a pretty great actor (and director) at times. 

I personally was expecting Rocky to challenge the top 10. I'm even more surprised that Rambo missed the mist entirely down in 111th...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1