chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Best Hollywood Chris apparently confirmed...

f6a353fcd495af053f38bf7bbedcd878.gif

5 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Oh wow incredibly surprised to see Captain America higher than Iron Man. Did not expect that. 

That's because Steve Rogers is a paragon of virtue with the body of an ultimate thirst trap, while Tony Stark is a dumpster fire of toxic masculinity and poor decision making.  😇

MY BOY IS 12TH!!  *applause all around*  Would've liked to see him crack the Top 10, but knowing he's the Best Avenger is still a win.

tenor.gif?itemid=10048976

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

f6a353fcd495af053f38bf7bbedcd878.gif

That's because Steve Rogers is a paragon of virtue with the body of an ultimate thirst trap, while Tony Stark is a dumpster fire of toxic masculinity and poor decision making.  😇

MY BOY IS 12TH!!  *applause all around*  Would've liked to see him crack the Top 10, but knowing he's the Best Avenger is still a win.

tenor.gif?itemid=10048976

not Arnold's T-800 tho is he?

• Haha 1

5th - The Joker - Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

The first of two lists in quick succession where the Dark Knight crashes out in 5th place I assume.

Heath Ledger was fast becoming one of my favourite actors. I unashamedly love 10 things I hate about you and A Knight's Tale. HE had charisma for days and probably would have had a Hugh Jackman-esque career if it had continued. 

It is tragic that the rest of the world finally saw what not many of us previously had done when this performance rolled around. The best performance ever in comic book film? This list says yes, but if Robert Downey Jr. had tragically passed away in early 2008, and HEath was still with us now fresh off of his 4th film as The Joker, maybe those two positions would swap. It is always hard to tell how things like that can shape a perception of a performance. 

Regardless, it's an amazing performance, in a great film by a great actor, and I can't argue with 5th. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4th - Darth Vader - James Earl Jones - Star Wars

I know James wasn't in the suit, but this is essentially the most popular voiceover performance on the list as opposed to people being in love with how well the other guy marched from room to room. 

And with this there are no Star Wars guys or gals in the top 3. THat is a first I believe. The franchise still dominated the list as far as a single universe is concerned, and 4th isn't exactly bad. What surprised me was that Vader only received 11 votes (you have to go back down to Captain America to find a character with less than that).

It is also less votes than both Yoda and Luke Skywalker, the difference however was that 8 of those 11 votes were top 10 placements, compared to Yoda's 4 and Luke's 2. Darth also was one of only two Star Wars characters to receive a top place vote (The other being Macgregor's Obi Won which was one of three characters to receive multiple 1sts with 2 top votes. 

• Like 8

3rd - Indiana Jones - Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones

The highest placed character named after a dog.

And the long time leader finishes 3rd. Jones was over a 100 points clear at one stage, but it was not to be. The only character to receive 3 first placed votes, The problem was with mid ranged votes. Despite 6 top 5 votes (including the 3 firsts, there were only 9 other voters and none of them placed him top 10, which allowed others to pass. 

Still, cinema's greatest male character has been revealed as well as Ford's best placement too. It is the best Spielberg result and best Lucasarts performance. Overall there are nothing but great options left on this list, but obviously passions will rise as to who exactly should be at the very top. 

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

2nd - Sarah Connor - Linda Hamilton - Terminator

The highest placed character named after a dog.

First up, this is a great character. A great actress. A great film. One of the great strong female protagonists in cinema and a character that received 19 votes, the second highest of any character. Considering only 4 of the lists I sent could be argued to skew heavily towards a certain director (and three of those 4 lists had plenty of other variety within them too), this is a placement on merit and although I personally placed her about 20th, she is one of about 20 characters I would say had a justifiable claim for top spot. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

And thus that means that despite the Lucas-maniacs, the Spielbergaphiles, The Cameron crowers, our number one character is in fact a creation of Ridley Scott!

1st - Ellen Ripley - Sigourney Weaver - Alien

Believe or Not, this just happpened. 

Well I placed her 3rd so I am happy. She is in my mind absolutely the greatest female character in cinema and I'm not going to be the one to argue that she isn't in fact the best character ever. She received 20 votes (The highest),  9 top 10 votes (the highest), and even if anybody wanted to claim that the top two were hijacked by a campaign from a certain fandom, she won by enough points that only Indiana Jones was within 150 points of her and even he was 86 points back. 

Ripley is cinematic royalty, a character that excelled across at least 3 genres of film whilst evolving each time. She deserves her spot and I at least, am happy to see her steal the limelight.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

That entire sequence of Sarah’s rescue from the psych ward - from her escape from her room to the hallway scene in the video to the subsequent chase by the T-1000 - is truly cinema at its finest. The film obviously pre-dates the internet so you couldn’t rewatch the trailer. You had no idea if Sarah was going to live or die because she had been something of a minor character in the film up until her rescue and the T-1000 was a merciless and heartless killer. It was edge of your seat movie going for the entire two hours.

For me, T2 will always be Cameron’s best film with Aliens being respectable runner-up.

• Like 1

Well, this is the dawning of a new age.  I'm surprised to see Conner and Ripley finish so high, but it is what it is.  They are great characters and both were very high on my list as well.

Chas, you are an animal.  Thanks for all you do at this site.  I'm not sure if we are still doing the Boffy awards, but you get my vote as the most valuable member.  Great job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Avatar #1 highest grossing film of all time.

Titanic #2  highest grossing film of all time.

Does Jim have a monopoly on top 2?

Great to see Ripley and Connor at the top , it goes to show great characters can in fact be female.

Thanks for this chas! Great stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

1st - Ellen Ripley - Sigourney Weaver - Alien

tenor.gif?itemid=5351805

It's what she deserves.  I had her at #2, and that was only to ensure Cap got as many points as possible.

Also, my list did surprisingly well for only getting 22 or my 100 nominees on the Final List

12 of my Top 20 Made the List

1. Steve Rogers (Rank: 12)

2. Ripley (Rank: 1)

3. Princess Leia (Rank: 33)

4. George Bailey (Rank: 50)

5. Norma Desmond (Rank: 97)

6. Mary Poppins (Rank: 72)

7. Elle Woods (UNRANKED, Y'ALL RUDE)

8. Margo Channing (UNRANKED, HOW)

9. Dorothy Gale (Rank: 29)

10. Belle (Rank: 74)

11. Juror 8 (Rank: 23)

12. Marty McFly (Rank: 10)

13. Isla Lund (Unranked, but Rick was 82 for me and 76 over all)

14. Maria (Unranked, smh)

15. Wonder Woman (Rank: 67)

16. Laurie Strode (Rank: 79)

17. Sarah Connor (Rank: 2)

18. Sally Bowles (Unranked)

19. Cruela De Vil (Unranked)

20. Shadow (Unranked)

Thank you Chas.  This was very fun.  

• Like 2