chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

49th - Randle McMurphy - Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Nicholson being able to play a convincing crazy person... Who'd a thunk  it? 

One of the very tiny number of films to win all of the big 5 Oscars, Cuckoo's Nest sees Jack's third appearance on this list when nobody else has even appeared twice yet. It is something that suggests that he may well be in the running for greatest actor we've ever had (I'll leave that list to somebody else to do though :) ) 

This is however his final appearance on the list. Will anybody else manage to get three characters onto the list by the end? 

Also Nurse Ratchet ended in 119th. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

49th - Randle McMurphy - Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Nicholson being able to play a convincing crazy person... Who'd a thunk  it? 

One of the very tiny number of films to win all of the big 5 Oscars, Cuckoo's Nest sees Jack's third appearance on this list when nobody else has even appeared twice yet. It is something that suggests that he may well be in the running for greatest actor we've ever had (I'll leave that list to somebody else to do though :) ) 

This is however his final appearance on the list. Will anybody else manage to get three characters onto the list by the end? 

Also Nurse Ratchet ended in 119th. 

I hate Nurse Ratchet so much, perfect antagonist.

• Like 2

48th - Atticus Finch - Gregory Peck - To Kill a Mockingjay bird

If ever there was an actor hand pecked for a role....

The fourth character in a row to come from a film older than I am, and it is a film that many see as one of the greatest of all time and an  important adaptation of an even more important book. It is a film that has a lot of respect from audiences and Peck's portrayal takes its place as one of the highest placed black and white performances on this list.

• Like 11

47th - Jack Sparrow - Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean 

A defining role, that has since gone on to define every damn character Depp has done since...

You know, these days it is easy to forget that when the first Pirates film came out, it was expected to a cynical cash grab based on a theme park ride of all things. Yet against all expectations, it turned out to be (and probably still is) one of the best big budget franchise starting spectacles... well, ever. The first Pirates film is excellent film making and the Sparrow character holds the film together. Depp is used the perfect amount of time and his constant flip flopping of sides is genuinely hard to read on the first viewing. 

Obviously the character has diluted somewhat in each sequel, but purely from that first film, I am fully behind Sparrow ending this high, 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

46th - Godzilla - Stampy Japanese Man / CGI - Godzilla

He's destroyed more cities than Emmerich

Iconic doesn't even do justice to the reputation of Godzilla in cinema. Considering the monster never appeared in English until 1998, it is incredible how well regarded it is by Western audiences, when most subtitled stuff is generally ignored. Hell even the 1998 version got people excited until they actually saw the film, and for good reason. The teaser above was great and the marketing was really well done:

Image result for godzilla bus

It was just unfortunately a really bad film. Outside of that, Godzilla has appeared in about 472 Japanese films, and is about to get it's second American outing in its current form. 

In bad news for monkeys everywhere, King Kong was only 333rd.

• Like 8

45th - Hal 9000 - Douglas Rain - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Put you in 1st? I'm afraid I can't do that Hal.

IS this the most famous computer in cinema? Well it is the highest placed character to contain zero organic component of any kind. Hal continues the current older film bent we are currently on as we now have 6 of the last 7 characters that have appeared in films over 30 (maybe 40) years ago. 

This is also Kubrick's highest placed character and his third character in 15 placements. 

• Like 12

44th - Harry Potter - Daniel Radcliffe - Harry Potter

Put you in 1st? I'm afraid I can't do that Hal.

And so onto the title character of a franchise that has graced/plagued (depending on your viewpoint) this list twice already. That puts it in the same club as The Matrix, Aliens and Lord of The Rings as films with three characters on the list. Which film will be the ultimate winner of that battle though...

Radcliffe owns this role and he is so much Harry Potter to people that it has made many find it hard to see him as anybody else, not even a farting corpse.  

• Like 10

43th - John McClane - Bruce Willis - Die Hard

Apparently Christmas is all about walking barefoot on broken glass.

Now this is a real man's (OR WOMAN'S!) character. John McClane is one of the true action heroes of cinema. He sparked the 'Die hard on a ...' genre and a lot of that is testament to the fact that this franchise began back when Willis was still and actor as opposed to professional line reader for hire, and good Bruce Willis is a damn great actor. 

Shockingly, Hans Gruber finished in 168th when I am pretty sure he has appeared easily in every previous list. I may be wrong but that was maybe the biggest drop not for a character that will one day be replaced by Christopher Plummer.

• Like 7

42nd - Michael Myers - Tony Moran (and others) - Halloween

The guy who showed the world the true horror William Shatner can bring upon the world.

We move onto another horror icon and it's the second of the big trilogy of slasher villains in Michael Myers. This franchise almost created the trope of scary man walks very slowly to screaming girl, girl runs away, girl trips, boom SLASHY SLASHY! 

Seriously though, these films have endured for decades, survived reboots and remakes and even this year is getting another installment when many other series have possibly run out of steam. 

• Like 6

41st - Severus Snape - Alan Rickman - Harry Potter

Alan Rickman's character might be evil? You don't say!

The final Harry Potter character on this list and it's hard to deny he wasn't the best (although others have strong arguments too). Snape's was in my opinion the hardest character to portray though, Rickman had to walk the line between friend or foe for film after film and he is great at it. Even in the scene above there is so much going on as Snape continue to portray the bad guy he is supposed to at this point whilst also making sure that none of the heroes get hurt and even deflects spells to 'accidentally' kill a couple of the bad guys behind him. He's a really well done character and Rickman is a legend. 

• Like 13

40th - Michael Corleone - Al Pacino - The Godfather

So many fucking Corleones, this was a bloody hard film to make sure I didn't screw up the scoring for...

The Godfather is often considered one of the greatest films ever made. Its sequel, thought by many to be even better. These films had a great director, an incredible cast, and were successful by pretty much every way success can be measured. Pacino is an all time great that you'd expect to have more presence on this list (his next highest finish was Tony Montana in 287th), but he gets a chance to shine here as a Corleone. 

Will any other Corleones show up later...

• Like 11

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:

41st - Severus Snape - Alan Rickman - Harry Potter

Alan Rickman's character might be evil? You don't say!

The final Harry Potter character on this list and it's hard to deny he wasn't the best (although others have strong arguments too). Snape's was in my opinion the hardest character to portray though, Rickman had to walk the line between friend or foe for film after film and he is great at it. Even in the scene above there is so much going on as Snape continue to portray the bad guy he is supposed to at this point whilst also making sure that none of the heroes get hurt and even deflects spells to 'accidentally' kill a couple of the bad guys behind him. He's a really well done character and Rickman is a legend. 

I've seen the film 100 times and never noticed that...and now I can't not notice it.  Genius decision by the director that was so subtle, but for those who see it, so powerful, especially later in the movie.  It's things like this that make it worth watching these movies over and over again...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1