WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

I don't agree. It's not like they called Julius Caesar 2 a movie about Julius Caesar son. 

Gladiator is a generic common name and thousands of people have been gladiators. So if the character of the son is a gladiator too and the story is connected to the First One I think the title makes sense. 

It's not the First time we see a saga when chapters are named 2,3,4 and the characters can change (as whole or in part) from a movie to another. 

I’d also take “Gladiator 2” over something cringey like “Lucius: A Gladiator Story”.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I don't agree. It's not like they called Julius Caesar 2 a movie about Julius Caesar son. 

Gladiator is a generic common name and thousands of people have been gladiators. So if the character of the son is a gladiator too and the story is connected to the First One I think the title makes sense. 

It's not the First time we see a saga where chapters are named 2,3,4 and the characters can change (as whole or in part) from a movie to another. 

Gladiator wasn't about random Gladiators, it was about a single persons journey. 

It just doesn't work for me. 

Edited by Poseidon

Moderation

@Roaming Roman has been threadbanned for 24 hours for concern trolling and personal insults. Likewise, @TomThomas will be threadbanned for 3 days for the same reason (he was given a thread ban before, this is his second thread ban).

I will unlock the thread after I make this post. But as a reminder to everybody, it's okay to be negative on a film's box office prospect. It's okay to think a movie looks bad. It's okay to think a movie will bomb. But when you repeat this ad nauseum, if you insult others who dare to think differently than you, if you are going to purposefully add nothing but misery to this place for your sick kicks, if you just want to troll...get out of this forum. Because if you're going to act like a child over a Gladiator movie, we don't need you here. We are not the only place on the entire Internet where you can talk about Gladiator 2. It makes no sense to hang out on a forum you hate.

Really, what is the goal here when you add this negativity towards threads for movies you don't care for? Do you think people want to read it? They don't. So why make things miserable for everybody else? The only explanation I can justify in my head why some folks would do this utter nonsense is if your family was being held hostage by terrorists and the only way they will ever see the light of day ever again is if you post inflammatory nonsense about Gladiator 2 in this random Internet forum. And uh...yeah. I doubt anybody here is in that situation. And if you are in such a bizarre, statistically impossible situation? Well...good luck. Because I'm putting my foot down and I'm going to be real harsh when it comes to this thread from now on.

Really, to everybody here, whether you're excited, not excited, expect a hit, expect a bomb, say to yourself...do I have to post this? Have I made my point already? Is this post really necessary to the conversation? If the answer is "no" to any of this, then don't bother posting it. It is in fact okay to not post something for a movie you don't care about. Constant negativity helps nobody.

Now when I unlock this thread, I expect folks to be a lot more relaxed and a lot more mature. If you can't do that, like I said, you don't have to post here. It makes no sense to hang out in a forum you don't like the rules for, so why do it?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

As I stated a few weeks ago, this was always destined to be a bomb. No one has even uttered the word gladiator since 2000, so why are people acting as if it is Titanic or anywhere near equivalent to that? This is absolutely something that no one has been anticipating or asking studios to produce. The lead is also only known by weirdos who post on Letterboxd, so who is this supposed to be for exactly? 

Apparently you don’t watch the NFL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

The fact is none of the negativity actually serves a constructive purpose until the movie comes out. I'd rather enjoy talking about the movie until then than be "right" about it, whatever that actually ends up meaning.

I dont think  blind optimism  serves much of a constructive purpose either. I though this was supposed to be a forum for the discussion of box office and releated issues, with all opinons welcome, rather then a rooting section for a film.

I don;t know how this film will do. But I do know it will have to a huge,huge hit just to break even given how much it costs.

As for the fuss over the title, ridiculous. It is not like Maximus is the only Glaidator they ever made a movie about. Kubrick made a little item called "Spartacus" back in 1960 which has not been totally forgotten.

Edited by dudalb

Meh, I'm not even a fanboy for this but it's a better attitude from a general communal morale perspective than the opposite. None of us actually have any material investment in this so what does it matter if people get too excited about box office prospects as long as they aren't obnoxious about it, which I can say was definitely not the case with those who were threadbanned. You'll notice the thread has in fact been a lot more peaceful since that happened.

• Like 2

Well, after the peacock trailer I see pleny of invidiious comparasions with "Ben Hur" coming. Serrioulsy, I would not want to directly compete ith the race in Ben Hur, which is still one of the most incredible action scenes ever filmed.

Trailer is , well, just ok. Not nough to fire up people who are not already fired up.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Meh, I'm not even a fanboy for this but it's a better attitude from a general communal morale perspective than the opposite. None of us actually have any material investment in this so what does it matter if people get too excited about box office prospects as long as they aren't obnoxious about it, which I can say was definitely not the case with those who were threadbanned. You'll notice the thread has in fact been a lot more peaceful since that happened.

Oh I agree some of the people were getting obnoxious, but too much Pollyanna is just as bad.

I can this movie doing anything from out and out bomb to being a big hit. My skpeticsm is based on 

A. You do a sequel to a classic, you had better bring your A game to it, and Scott has been all over the place as to quality.

B.It will have to be a massive hit just to break even given what we know about the budget. ALmost everything I have read puts it north of 300 Million.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Well, after the peacock trailer I see pleny of invidiious comparasions with "Ben Hur" coming. Serrioulsy, I would not want to directly compete ith the race in Ben Hur, which is still one of the most incredible action scenes ever filmed.

Trailer is , well, just ok. Not nough to fire up people who are not already fired up.

At first, I thought you were talking about the comparisons with the 2016 version of "Ben Hur".

12 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

As I stated a few weeks ago, this was always destined to be a bomb. No one has even uttered the word gladiator since 2000, so why are people acting as if it is Titanic or anywhere near equivalent to that? This is absolutely something that no one has been anticipating or asking studios to produce. The lead is also only known by weirdos who post on Letterboxd, so who is this supposed to be for exactly? 

Your credibility after this comment.

lifting-glass-and-jumping-out-window-nyv

Seriously though, no-one can deny how iconic and qutotable Gladiator became and still is to this today,  hence all this discussion. It's so iconic it's actually created a few new members joining just to put it down. That's power

Edited by Jaxon5

20 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

who is the criminal who chose the song for this trailer?

Do you have one of the greatest soundtracks ever made and you don't use it? how disgusting

put a rap song in this trailer

pls tell me Who chose the song is alrdey fired

• Haha 1

As italian is fun to read complaints cause Denzel Washington or the others characters speaks too modern, like if in the first movie characters didn't speak a totally modern english too🤣

I guess the thing comes more from the idea in something set in Ancient Rome people should talk with  this epic poetic tone, when romans where absolutely gross and foul- mouthed. Even the nobility. The idea of roman nobility being like classy people like the modern european nobility class it's actually the anti- storical thing. It's more on point a description of a society with this kinda of every day language (of course in english since the movie is american) than all people talking like they're Cicero. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 5

Movie is locked to Flop and it's just deserved. If your budget get this out of hand, you lost me. I don't care if it loses money.

What I hope is it performs decently for theaters. What would be a good performance for a Gladiator sequel? It's very hard to talk about it not knowing if it's another Ridley miss or not because I do think that will make a huge difference. Huge.

The original opened to 34M it seems. So maybe 60M-70M Opening? I would be happy with that. Wicked is also opening 

39 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Movie is locked to Flop and it's just deserved. If your budget get this out of hand, you lost me. I don't care if it loses money.

What I hope is it performs decently for theaters. What would be a good performance for a Gladiator sequel? It's very hard to talk about it not knowing if it's another Ridley miss or not because I do think that will make a huge difference. Huge.

The original opened to 34M it seems. So maybe 60M-70M Opening? I would be happy with that. Wicked is also opening 

Original adjust to around 75m-80m when taking IMAX into account. 

41 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Wait, so you refuse to see the movie just because of a huge budget? lmao

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Wait, so you refuse to see the movie just because of a huge budget? lmao

Im guessing he misworded his statement. I think he just as no sympathy for flops with out of hand budgets.

People really have it out for Ridley at the moment though.