WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Most likely way less as with every single times one of these is posted

101k likes against 19k comments is a bad ratio, number of dislikes is probably very high no matter what specific number is.

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I agree, could be even more than that, likes/comments ratio is telling.

Moderation

@Firepower my warning from before applies to you. We get you think this movie is gonna bomb, but comments like these are blatant trolling. If you are going to add nothing else of value but the same old and tired “Gladiator is going to be the biggest bomb ever lololol” nonsense, you will leave me with no other choice but to give you a threadban. Your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, this felt unnecessary and bloated already, but god what an awful trailer, everything feels disjointed and out of place.

Jay-Z rapping definitely transported me right back to 476 AD!

Another legendary franchise /movie of Ridley being destroyed by himself.

No wonder Hollywood is in survival mode, with only making remakes and sequels no one asked for.
Edited by Belakor
  • ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

In the future, we need to pass a federal law that says "no more rap music in trailers to movies set before the 1960s".

It's interesting that you specify no more rap music, but any other modern music.

Very interesting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vale9001 said:

As italian is fun to read complaints cause Denzel Washington or the others characters speaks too modern, like if in the first movie characters didn't speak a totally modern english too🤣

I guess the thing comes more from the idea in something set in Ancient Rome people should talk with  this epic poetic tone, when romans where absolutely gross and foul- mouthed. Even the nobility. The idea of roman nobility being like classy people like the modern european nobility class it's actually the anti- storical thing. It's more on point a description of a society with this kinda of every day language (of course in english since the movie is american) than all people talking like they're Cicero. 

One of the fun things about the HBO "Rome" TV series was the four letter Latin words used on the wall grafitti...."Atia Felat Omnes"

"Atia will screw anybody"

Period language is always tricky, though.  It should not sound modern but then attempts to sound period often become laugh riots.

One example is a movie set in Medieval England where they cast Tony Curtis complete with his Brookln accent as the mian charecter, resulting in an oft quoted line 'Yondah Lies Da Castle Of My Faddah",. It was called "MGM Medieval:.

Best Approach is probably standard  English, but avoiding any modern terms and expressions

7 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

In the future, we need to pass a federal law that says "no more rap music in trailers to movies set before the 1960s".

Unless you are delibertly trying to be funny, But even the 60's is wrong..Rap did not emerge as a force in pop music until the late 80's.

Baz Luhrman is the only guy to pull that off sucessfully in "Moulin Rouge" but he totaly failed at it in "Great Gatsby",

8 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It's interesting that you specify no more rap music, but any other modern music.

Very interesting.

I will go all the way: Any use of modern pop songs n a period film should be avoided.

I would hate to have to bet a large amount of money on how this will do; just too many variables up in the air.

One big one is some one  said th original is iconic, that is true but I can't point to whold series of delayed sequels to Iconic films that bombed at the box office. Being a sequel to a classic is both a blessing and a curse. You have huge name recognition, but then you have huge expectations. Faults  that might be forgiven in other films will not be in a sequel to a classic.

If I had to bet, I would predict it is a "sucessful failure " or a 'Failed Sucess" it will make enough..mainly international ....to get back it cost and maybe generate a small profit, but will not be the big blockbuster that Paramount so despertly needs at this point. You don't spend as much on a movie as Paramount has on this and be sastified with a small profit.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Very interesting.

Issue here is the gladiator sound track is one of the most famous movie scores  of the past 25 years

Not using that for a rather blah modern song is weird as hell

and its not like this film is trying to be totally different.

it seems connected to the first. 

15 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

When random youtubers make better content with guys getting paid millions

It really shows we in a funny timeline

You think the trailer editors are getting paid millions?

13 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Issue here is the gladiator sound track is one of the most famous movie scores  of the past 25 years

That's actually not the issue. People are specifically having an issue with rap music.

34 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One of the fun things about the HBO "Rome" TV series was the four letter Latin words used on the wall grafitti...."Atia Felat Omnes"

"Atia will screw anybody"

Period language is always tricky, though.  It should not sound modern but then attempts to sound period often become laugh riots.

One example is a movie set in Medieval England where they cast Tony Curtis complete with his Brookln accent as the mian charecter, resulting in an oft quoted line 'Yondah Lies Da Castle Of My Faddah",. It was called "MGM Medieval:.

Best Approach is probably standard  English, but avoiding any modern terms and expressions

If someone in a movie set in ancient rome starts to Say "cringe!" "Broooo" or whatever of course is embarassing. 

What i'm trying to say it's not wrong to use a more colloquial tone and vocabulary cause that's the kind of language normal romans used. So you create this atmosphere. Romans didn't use broooo but they have their own way to call a friend in a colloquial way.. Some people seem to expect from these kind of movies all people talking like there are characters of an Epic poem by Virgil.

Edited by vale9001

Ridley completely shut me up with that trailer. Wow.  I expect several Oscar nominations. Denzel completely stole the show just from the trailer.  Even had some Russell flashbacks.   As for the Jay Z song, "No Church In the Wild" actually does fit the theme of the movie.  He's literally rapping about Gladiators in Rome. 

Jay Z also has a song actually sampling the first "Gladiator" that's a fan favorite.   I also remember back during the Superbowl seeing the 1st "Gladiator" Trailer and it having football and Kid rock, lol.   Trailers use modern music all the time.   Anyways, I'm there opening weekend.  I was so unsure what a sequel would be but Ridley just up the ante big time.   

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 6

I now watched the trailer completely without sound and IMO it's a strong, rough trailer.

Way better than what I expected. 

I agree, Denzel Washington is great in it and Paul Mescal is a good lead too. Well-played, emotional, exiting. Great setting, great atmosphere.

But please create a better soundtrack or use the stellar first one, I mean why not, the whole Pirates of the Caribbean series had the great H. Zimmer theme, so why not using the beloved Gladiator theme here too? And it fits, which also means that otherwise they did a fine job. 

A quick word on the test screenings WOM and all that:

I dont trust those kinds of scoopers, but I do tend to belive Vieweranon. He was on the money with Matrix Resurrections and It Chapter 2. Don't know what he's been dead wrong about, but he seems to be fairly accurate in terms of a movie's quality

Now, what is important, and this is something he hasn't specified, is who he has heard Gladiator II is good from. Does he know multiple people who have seen it that say it's good? Or is he hearing it from someone in the industry that has been told it's really good?

I'm placing some faith in Vieweranon that Gladiator 2 does indeed rock

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The trailer is good.

It is good. I think the reaction to this trailer is social media in a nutshell any more sadly. The good thing is as has been pointed the GA might be way more favorable to it then a bunch of yahoo's on YouTube making comments and over reacting because of the choice of music or whatever.

57 minutes ago, el sid said:

I now watched the trailer completely without sound and IMO it's a strong, rough trailer.

Way better than what I expected. 

I agree, Denzel Washington is great in it and Paul Mescal is a good lead too. Well-played, emotional, exiting. Great setting, great atmosphere.

But please create a better soundtrack or use the stellar first one, I mean why not, the whole Pirates of the Caribbean series had the great H. Zimmer theme, so why not using the beloved Gladiator theme here too? And it fits, which also means that otherwise they did a fine job. 

This trailer was much better then the previous one, but the lack of Zimmer doing the score is a concern.

I agree, even if Zimmer was not avaiable, they should have used his themes as the base of the new score.

I still love that when we first see the Colliseum in "GLadiator" Zimmer goes full scale Richard Wagner for the scene.

• Like 1