WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

13 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Oh and also, I don't give a crap about comments on YouTube. Bots are all over social media. So much shit talking on all platforms is generated by people who aren't even real.

Not suggesting all the negative comments are bots. Just saying I don't care about YouTube comments.

But what about Instagram comments? I just checked them and they are pretty much the same.

Madame Web has almost 30M views on YouTube lol. Views and paying people are not the same. This also shouldn't have to compared to Dune becuase Dune wasn't a sequel to something that's supposed to be iconic. Also TikTok girlies and grandpas are not going to save this.

This is going so much better than I anticipated LMAO. Full on spiral mode and damage control. This is the trailer they put out? This is the initial response? The next months will be glorious.

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

5M in 10 hours on YouTube is a good number for a film like this. It was never going to do Marvel trailer numbers…

Yeah, but it needs Marvel numbers to make its money back.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Also budget for this movie is insane! Did they build a real life colosseum? Isn't Connie Nielsen the only returning actor from the original from the trailer?

The Colosseum in the original film was half-built by CGI, too...but by Visual Effects that date better than 95% of Visual Effects today, for some reason...  And well... Djimon Honsou and Sir Derek Jacobi are apparently back, too... but I imagine neither (nor Nielsen) commands an 8-digit salary, at this point...they're likely each getting a lower-7 digit number!  

Posted (edited)

People writing "gladiator doesn't need a sequel" are not making a comment about what they saw. It's a prejudice they already had. So doesn't say too much about the GP  liking It or not. Or being interested or not.

Reading the negative reactions on YouTube nothing on that seems to really show they have a specific problem with something in the trailer they don't like, just the movie shouldn't exist. Again doesn't mean  generic people can be captured seeing the trailer without any prejudice.  Or they are against a sequel of an "untouchable" movie blah blah blah.

Edited by vale9001

pretty much every trailer has some contemporary song in it these days even for period films, the problem for this trailer is that the crossover of dudes who are weirdly obsessed with ancient Rome and guys who say stuff like "Uhh more like Crap music" is probably pretty large.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

People writing "gladiator doesn't need a sequel" are not making a comment about what they saw. It's a prejudice they already had. So doesn't say too much about the GP  liking It or not. Or being interested or not.

Reading the negative reactions on YouTube nothing on that seems to really show they have a specific problem with something in the trailer they don't like, just the movie shouldn't exist. Again doesn't say if generic people can't be captured seeing the trailer without any prejudice.  

So they decided to comment about their expectations right under the trailer while ignoring the trailer?

18 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Oh and also, I don't give a crap about comments on YouTube. Bots are all over social media. So much shit talking on all platforms is generated by people who aren't even real.

Not only that, but people still treat YouTube as the major platform to see how a trailer is being received when TikTok and even Twitter has been way bigger in some cases. It’s 2024, people need to be updated about these things if they want to discuss it.

For example, it have 5M views on YouTube and 28M on Twitter. It’s fair that we can hardly say how many of those 28M are repeat viewers or if they watched the whole thing, but the same can be said about YouTube.

People will believe whatever they want, but all the meltdowns over negative YouTube comments are borderline hilarious atp.

The trailer reception is obviously far from consensus, the music clearly is off-putting to most people, so this isn’t the best case scenario for sure, i’m not here trying to spin this. But people also really need to touch some grass instead of keep saying that comments on YouTube and a rap song that won’t be in the actual movie will destroy any chance of commercial success.

Interesting that the trailer is selling it as a big-budget action flick. Probably what makes sense commercially, but the original Gladiator's an interesting one: it's a big-budget spectacle, an "Oscar winner", and is known as one of those "makes men cry" movies. I wasn't sure what angle they were going to lean towards with the marketing, but I think putting something out that's explosive like this makes more sense.

I do think they'll need to diversify their marketing moving forward. Sell the sword-and-sandals epic. Sell the "sexy men". But don't forget to also sell the story, the SCORE, etc. Next trailer should definitely lean more story-heavy. Have the callbacks to the original, lay out what the actual plot is, and by God PLEASE include some of that Zimmer score. 

FWIW, I think this will do better than Indy 5. My heart wants this to be a 400M+ movie, but realistically for now I'm comfortable with predicting 65/220 for this. (And for the record, I'm going with 40/150 for Wicked.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roaming Roman said:

Madame Web has almost 30M views on YouTube lol. Views and paying people are not the same. This also shouldn't have to compared to Dune becuase Dune wasn't a sequel to something that's supposed to be iconic. Also TikTok girlies and grandpas are not going to save this.

This is going so much better than I anticipated LMAO. Full on spiral mode and damage control. This is the trailer they put out? This is the initial response? The next months will be glorious.

Your gleefulness is so pathetic. Why are you here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomThomas said:

Yeah, but it needs Marvel numbers to make its money back.

Not really, older audiences who this film will also appeal to won’t be watching the trailer on YouTube. Nobody is expecting this to do Marvel numbers, either in trailer views or eventual box office. Anyone who is will just be setting themselves up for predictable disappointment.

Just now, SnokesLegs said:

Not really, older audiences who this film will also appeal to won’t be watching the trailer on YouTube. Nobody is expecting this to do Marvel numbers, either in trailer views or eventual box office. Anyone who is will just be setting themselves up for predictable disappointment.

I mean Marvel box office, not trailer views.

Just now, TomThomas said:

So they decided to comment about their expectations right under the trailer while ignoring the trailer?

Yeah.

A gladiator sequel shouldn't exist cause "you can beat the First movie" etc.... These are the comments not "bad acting" "bad cgi" "the story seems ridicolous" "colours are bad"

Therw are not top comments like this. Only about a rap Song (not gonna be in the movie) and "why they made this movie?".

It's a bad trailer in terms of selling a movie, isn't it? Bad soundtrack, that makes it look small instead of epic, it's overlong, it doesn't explain who's who, it just looks nice, that's it.

I actually got bored in the end. 

I never understood the purpose of this movie, I still don't see it now. Hopefully it clicks with the general audience.

• Like 1

Let's fire everyone in the advertising industry because apparantly you can put out anything with any sort of reception at any time and won't matter. A guarteed billion dollars no matter what.

The damage control from die-hard fans is in full force. Somehow Paramount found a way to make Gladiator 2 NOT a slam dunk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Your gleefulness is so pathetic. Why are you here?

Because I want to be. Let's not pretend people are never gleeful about impending box office disasters. You just don't like someone being gleeful about this one :)

1 minute ago, Roaming Roman said:

Let's fire everyone in the advertising industry because apparantly you can put out anything with any sort of reception at any time and won't matter. A guarteed billion dollars no matter what.

The damage control from die-hard fans is in full force. Somehow Paramount found a way to make Gladiator 2 NOT a slam dunk.

Did Paul Mescal dumped you on a date or something? Jeez 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roaming Roman said:

Because I want to be. Let's not pretend people are never gleeful about impending box office disasters. You just don't like someone being gleeful about this one :)

You joined 1 hour ago.

• Like 1