AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Budgets like that are what happens when multiple versions of a film are rolled into the final product. The same thing is what sunk Superman Returns in 06 (besides being a bland film). It had so many stops and misfires That the budget became totally out of context of the cost of the actual film that was released. 

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

So does Tangled or The Good Dinosaur have the bigger budget? I still don't know where Tangled's ridiculously high 260 million budget went.

You know how that movie Cursed, the werewolf Craven Ricci movie cost 80m?

You can't see it on screen.  It's cause they basically made it twice.  That money went towards making a movie you've never seen.

Tangled, Bolt, This?  Kind of the same story.

Yes, although Big Hero 6 also introduced new technology and they managed to keep it to $165mil.

As far as this movie goes, the budget's going to be huge. In addition to being remade they also had to pretty much upgrade all of their systems to make it. They might've saved some production design costs using the USGS data for the landscapes but probably not enough to keep it under $200 million

22 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yes, although Big Hero 6 also introduced new technology and they managed to keep it to $165mil.

As far as this movie goes, the budget's going to be huge. In addition to being remade they also had to pretty much upgrade all of their systems to make it. They might've saved some production design costs using the USGS data for the landscapes but probably not enough to keep it under $200 million

Big Hero Six...they only made that movie once.

Okay, but I didn't even know there was a trailer out? Or clips???

And I was worried because how the hell is this supposed to be a hit or do well if they ain't promoting?

So, I was thinking they're gonna have push this back into 2016, but then, I was watching TV the other day, and an ad appeared.

I was scalped.

N8I2osI.gif

Hope this scalps.

An unfortunate consequence of its release date is there haven't been many big, quality opportunities to market it in theaters since Inside Out. The only way I was able to see the trailer in theaters the last few months was through seeing Wall-E and Up at Disney Screen.

Edited by tribefan695

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

An unfortunate consequence of its release date is there haven't been many big, quality opportunities to market it in theaters since Inside Out. The only way I was able to see the trailer in theaters the last few months was through seeing Wall-E and Up at Disney Screen.

I mean, not really. Take JW, Minions, and HT2...all fantastic opportunities to attach the teaser/trailer to. And they did when I saw them. I've also seen it with Ant Man and Maze Runner to name a couple other decent grossers it was with. I'm sure most Pan and Goosebumps screenings have it too, which those two will at least combine for 100m+ of audience. Then finally, there's Peanuts. I'm sure most kids who've seen a movie since IO have gotten the trailer attached. 

Compared to Peanuts, Pixar is whoring the crap out of this movie and indeed it's all praise that people are saying. None of the concerned, "ooh this may tricky" stuff associated with IO, but the same level of praise, albeit more surprised since this production had such a troubled history.

It also helps that people are equally in love with the short as they are with the film too. While I think Star Wars will prevent TGD from toppling IO, I do think the two will come very close within each other. Which will have the studio earning near two bil from Pixar alone within one year, and with Dory on the way... holy crap. Cha-ching.

• Like 1