AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Hmmm, of all the words to describe it, I wouldn't use that. But I'm glad you loved it. [emoji4]

What it reminded me of a lot more than Lion King or Nemo or Land Before Time or whatever were the animated shorts I'd seen at the Cleveland Film Festival. It is indeed a simple, atmosphere driven narrative but it remains totally enthralling throughout. I don't think I could ever look away if I see it on tv.

That being said, I could definitely see a case with its inflated budget that it ends up being Pixar's first flop. Not knocking the movie itself, but I'll just say I'm glad I saw this alone

• Like 2

This is the best animation I have ever seen, and it is not even a contest. Absolutely jaw dropping visuals that I literally did not want to see end. Made IO look like it was a Pixar film from about 7 years ago. Had flat out breathtaking visuals I have not experienced in the genre since HTTYD in IMAX 3D. Oh how I would kill to see this in IMAX 3D, btw. Story is as sweet as it is simple, and there was nothing wrong with that at all. I enjoyed every second in the film's universe, and in some ways it was almost a nice reprieve to have a Pixar film that wasn't actively trying to be anything other than an enjoyable family romp. Just allowed me to sit back and really let the world of the film breathe. I honestly enjoyed it just as much as IO, even more in some ways. Arlo and Spot were very likable, as well as the T-Rex ranchers. If family audiences don't eat this up for the Holiday I will be shocked. I think great WOM is coming. 

• Like 7

Just now, tribefan695 said:

You have more faith in them than I do, it seems. This really is Wall E on steroids as far as dialogue sparseness goes. It's also by far Pixar's most serious film

Sent from my Z667T using Tapatalk

I expected Wall-E 2.0 for months now, but I don't feel like that's what it was at all. I think this has infinitely more kid appeal than Wall-E ever did. In fact, I think this film has the most young kid appeal of anything they have done since Cars. But unlike Cars, I also feel it is very enjoyable for all ages. If kids weren't bored or confused with IO's heavy themes and concepts, I can't possibly fathom how they would be with TGD. 

• Like 3

IO also seemed way more little girl-leaning than this though. As we've seen post-Frozen, that's the really lucrative demographic because if they connect to something, they REALLY get WOM going as they aren't as targeted as little boys. So the few quality movies that do serve them first and foremost enjoy far more concentrated benefits. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

That being said, I could definitely see a case with its inflated budget that it ends up being Pixar's first flop.

Preach it, brother. :) Now THAT would be a treat.

But the Shay, of all people, assures you this movie will be a success with the public. It will be liked much MORE than Inside Out, especially by the children - which of course should be no surprise, since IO was such a morose dumb downbeat mess for losers. Most kids hated it and cried to be let out of the theatre. So Dinosaur here - it's a winner. (Though I find the spoiler rumours spread here extremely funny - this is a stupid Pixar kids movie, nothing spoilerish will ever happen.)

Edited by shayhiri

I thought I made a post? Maybe I didn't I don't know but I didn't like it. Thought it was very inconsistent and bizarrely paced. Only a few good scenes. The visuals and the score were incredible but I'm so much more of a story person. 

Shocker: I liked IO way more than this. Less of a shocker: this was the worst animated movie I've seen this year. (did not see HOME for the record) I think this is ahead of only Cars 2 on my Pixar rankings.

Yet I will say I don't possess any ill will towards the movie... I don't think this was a movie "for me". I appreciated some of the irreverent moments (Pet collector) but was thrown off at so many others (especially that drug trip scene)... and I thought the ending was extremely lame. (the portion with the T-Rexes was the film at its most enjoyable but lasted way too short) This is very much of a visuals/atmosphere movie, whereas I loved the zany fast pace and clever storytelling of Inside Out. So... hmm. Yeah, sorry guys.

If you liked it tho, like tribe, that's cool but man I just don't get what you're seeing.

• Like 1