AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

It doesn't matter how many there are, its business depends on other factors too. Just because there is 2 "big" animated movies opening next summer doesn't mean they'll hit $300M. $300M for an animated movie is extremely tough. DM2 was an outlier, Epic, Turbo, and Croods were norms. People are saying Dragon will hit $300M, but why? Because DM2 did it. Just because DM2 did it doesn't mean it'll become a common thing. People did the same thing with Skyfall. Now that Skyfall hit $1b, every 2D movie can now. No. AMWTDITW is the only western next summer, so does that mean its guaranteed success? Dracula is the only major horror, so does that mean success? No.

And keep in mind, people look at it for a calendar year. Most people don't realize the summer movie season ends after Labor Day or begins in May, especially when you're still focused on school, exams, and work. Money is tight now a days. Next year before summer you have LEGO, The Nut Job, MP&S, and Rio 2 in just animation.

Then in other family you have Muppets Most Wanted, Cap Am 2, Heaven is for Real, and Divergent. So people already have a lot of options before summer. TGD and Dragon will be big, but just because they're the only 2 in the summer doesn't mean they have a free pass. Families that shelled out for Rio 2 and/or Cap 2 may not want to shell out again for TGD, especially if TASM2 is in the mix. TGD is practically guaranteed about $200M thanks to Pixar's fanbase and many families, but getting that extra $100M is a tough task. Many families also choose to opt out and wait until Redbox or so. $1 is easier than $30+. Stop looking at it in a calendar month perspective and more in a broad perspective.

Also, just because its not G or PG or animated doesnt mean it wont pull families. Like it or not, TMNT will be a factor, TF4, TASM2, Maleficient, FF7, etc. Dragon and TGD are the only "big" animated movies coming next summer, not big "family" movies.

Come on. I just used that argument because it was you who said that the market is flooded with animated films. I responded that it is not. The family films argument is a different story. I am not saying this will win summer 2014. I am hoping. Give me that freedom.

• Like 1

From what I've read in another site this happens a lot in Pixar films. John Lasseter stepped in and took away directorial reigns from Brad Lewis on Cars 2 and then Brenda Chapman was ousted from the director's chair on Brave and replaced by Mark Andrews with Steve Purcell given a co-director credit. Lasseter also took over direction from Ash Brannon on Toy Story 2 and would ultimately give Pixar vet Lee Unkrich a co-direction credit on the film. Also, Jan Pinkava shepherded Ratatouille for four years before being replaced by Brad Bird. 

For now, it's just a rumor about Bob Peterson. Hopefully, TGD will be another great PIxar film.

• Like 2