AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Pixar BOTCHED the marketing by not putting the final Good Dinosaur trailer with Hotel Transylvania 2. I saw a bunch of CGI animated movie trailers when I went to see HT last weekend.

The Peanuts Movie (The animation looked like stop motion. Neat.)

Norm of the North (Polar Bear movie. The CGI look terrible, like direct to video bad)
Secret Life of Pets (Illumination's next movie after Minions, the teaser got a lot of laughs)

Angry Birds (Horrible. Unfunny. They made this movie 5 years too late!)

Goosebumps (No reaction)

Pan (This is going to flop so BAD)

Some football movie with Aaron Eckhart (The serious trailer was sooooo out of place next to all the kiddy films)

While watching, I kept wondering how badly Pixar missed out by not putting the GD trailer with a hit animated movie. I doubt Pan or Goosebumps will get as much interest as HT2.

It's Pixar, Disney and there's goddamn dinosaurs in it. The film seems to have a built-in strategy right here. Let's stop even trying to pretend this is a hard sell a la Inside Out.

Well, Inside Out wasn't a hard sell, they just put it at the same period than Minions :/ But the movie got much better holds than Minions despite a slower start, it was such a good movie that the WOM really helped it in the end. The Good Dinosaur should be easier to sell indeed, while it's not amazingly innovative it's artistically very appealing, Ice Age fans could be attracted as well.

I went from having super low box office expectations for this back in the early summer to fairly high ones now, although now I'm starting to think maybe I need to lower them again. This sounds like it could be WALL-E 2.0 in a lot of ways, and that won't fly with some kids if that's the case. Maybe 200 is more realistic than 275-300. 

Why am I having all these Dreamworks/Ice Age vibes with those posters ?

Weird.

And meanwhile, the rendering of the "sets" looks like Avatar photo realism on drugs.

This movie has a bad case of schizophrenia it seems.

Edited by The Futurist