Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I wonder why critics rated Guardians so low at 82% on RT. The audience loved it way more

Probably tonal issues. The pacing in the first hour felt completely different to the rest of the movie. The sudden cuts to flashbacks without Rocket even in the scene before. And the humor was hit or miss. Some are also kinda sick of CBMs. I loved the movie but I've heard these criticisms.

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

This guy has seen it and has it ranked below Spidey and Guardians for this year. Pretty good.

I don't think people are allowed to really give thoughts on the movie yet as no embargo has been lifted. Also, I don't care about the opinion of one dude.

5 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Why is they're so many part 1 unfinished movies? There's a cancer spreading under the new age Hollywood Production.

Well, going back to Pirates, Potter, Twilight, Divergent, Hunger Games.... Started then then kinda faded. Infinity War brought it back in a huge way and now, yeah, it's kinda irritating. Fast, Spider Verse, Mission Impossible all doing it this summer and at least the first two feel woefully incomplete as part one. Don't get me wrong, I loved AtSV but that would be one of my only complaints along with some other small gripes. Each could've easily bled into the next installment while being more complete as its own installment. Infinity War pulled that off. These newer ones seem happy to egregiously be a part one a la Matrix Reloaded, Dead Man's Chest, Deathly Hallows Part 1 type cliffhanger films. We'll see if Mission Impossible has the same issue.

8 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Why is they're so many part 1 unfinished movies? There's a cancer spreading under the new age Hollywood Production.

Ending on a cliffhanger and building up massive hype to see how it will be resolved which usually leads to massive growth at the box office, DH2 and EG are perfect examples

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, going back to Pirates, Potter, Twilight, Divergent, Hunger Games.... Started then then kinda faded. Infinity War brought it back in a huge way and now, yeah, it's kinda irritating. Fast, Spider Verse, Mission Impossible all doing it this summer and at least the first two feel woefully incomplete as part one. Don't get me wrong, I loved AtSV but that would be one of my only complaints along with some other small gripes. Each could've easily bled into the next installment while being more complete as its own installment. Infinity War pulled that off. These newer ones seem happy to egregiously be a part one a la Matrix Reloaded, Dead Man's Chest, Deathly Hallows Part 1 type cliffhanger films. We'll see if Mission Impossible has the same issue.

I don’t remember the rest of them, but Infinity War was actually a complete movie with the closing of an arc.

This past month in theaters, I Watched Fast X and Spiderverse. And they both abruptly end in video game like cutscenes. Hope they don’t do that for this movie as well.

Yes, it would be preferable to have IMAX on its second week, but everyone acts like the film is in theatres for two weeks. TC films stay in cinemas for minimum three months, it will get the big screens back in August. Zero chance it finishes below FALLOUT, MI:DR OW will be huge.

It makes me sad that Cruise & Nolan are on bad terms now. They have a lot in common with their strong commitment to use old school action techniques instead of relying too much on CGI.

It seems like Paramount made a mess here by choosing a bad release date when everyone already knew IMAX was locked into a contract with Nolan’s movie. There is zero chance of IMAX breaking that contract. 

11 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It makes me sad that Cruise & Nolan are on bad terms now. They have a lot in common with their strong commitment to use old school action techniques instead of relying too much on CGI.

It seems like Paramount made a mess here by choosing a bad release date when everyone already knew IMAX was locked into a contract with Nolan’s movie. There is zero chance of IMAX breaking that contract. 

I don't believe for a second they are on bad terms. It's just clickbaity headlines. Cruise is most likely more mad at Paramount than anyone and is just trying his hardest to get other PLF formats like Dolby and X screens so he can make more money for his film and the theaters.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

The 'part 1' stuff is irritating but I defy anyone to say they go to these movies for plot outcomes. Maybe when it really is the final movie that aspect will be moderately interesting, but before that it's all just vibes, propulsion and spectacle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

The 'part 1' stuff is irritating but I defy anyone to say they go to these movies for plot outcomes. Maybe when it really is the final movie that aspect will be moderately interesting, but before that it's all just vibes, propulsion and spectacle.

I don't watch them for the plot outcomes as my primary reason, but I've grown to really like the characters so I do care about the outcomes of these movies.

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I thought I saw in some thread that Walmart is doing some deal where people can see it on the 9th.

Edit: lol they were mentioning it in the BO tracking thread just a half hour ago I don't know why I couldn't remember

Edited by Austin