Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

Tom Cruise comment on Japan

"Hello everyone. I hope you enjoy seeing Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part one on the larger screen as possible, with the best sound and the best picture. I want you to know that I'll be there soon. And until then, I look forward to seeing you at the movies."

• Like 1

So Paramount had no way of knowing that a movie on Barbie, an IP that sells $1.5B worth of products every year will be huge specially after seeing Super Mario Bros outperform all expectations and that Universal has already secured 3 weeks of IMAX exclusivity for Oppenheimer?

They’ve fumbled the bag so bad this year

• Like 2

Saw it in a brand new IMAX with indoor service throughout the film. I recommend the Old Fashioned and MI7 combo. Cruise *spoiler alert* ran like there's no tomorrow *end of spoiler* and didn't disappoint. It's no TGM but it's a film with a big F. Some clunky dialogue, excessive exposition, and too many characters for my taste but a light year ahead of most of the movies being grinded out from the sausage factory they call Hollywood—solid acting from the main characters, great action, stunts, Jason Bournesque location changes, big stakes, and *spoiler alert* someone actually dies *end of spoiler*. Solid!

PS. It's not only SoF that might steal some of MI7's thunder but Oppenheimer too. I originally chose Oppenheimer and paid the full IMAX price for that and for MI7 took a $5 Atom deal. As someone said, it won't get any TGM repeats but I'm sure it has a great WOM but how great, that we'll see. $700m+ should be locked but without the competition could have inched closer to billie.

One thing MI7's B.O relative to forecasts shows us and I can't emphasize this enough..is the importance of talk shows.

Yeah Tiktok has its place if you're targetting a very young crowd but for the 35-55 demo that MI serves, you need to be trending extensively on Youtube

Just finished Magnolia, great time at the couch and Cruise's oscar nom should have been an oscar win; Im a pretty big fan of the MI series, but Cruise is way too talented (and funny) to keep playing the "Tom Cruise in an action movie" character over and over again

hope he passes the baton to someone else for MI, forgets about TG3 for about a decade, completes his 2-billion-grossing space movie, and returns to doing more dramatically demanding roles 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

I think the release date scenario goes like this:
1. Paramount with full confidence after TGM and Tom Cruise triumph + MI brand quality that made MI7 seemingly destined to increase (three 90% movies in a row before this), dated this to current date to maximize the peak summer.

2. Paramount chose this date in particular to give 2 weeks time from Indy. They thought Indy would be big cause the last one made nearly $800M in 2008!! While also thinking that Barbie and Oppenheimer won’t be big as it is now or even they expected them to run away so they dated 1 week before them. (But they aren’t and little did Paramount knew at the time….)

3. Based on history, one brand’s success (no matter how big it is) doesn’t necessarily translate to the box office. See: Detective Pikachu, Winnie the Pooh, TMNT, Dora etc). SMB was an exception other than the rules. Oppenheimer also a 3-hour dark biopic and it was logical to think it wouldn’t make much money. Paramount thought like this and gambled. 

4. SMB exploded and Paramount started to worry about Barbie 😰

5. Barbenheimer came and Paramount was shaking, sweating and chuckling “I’m in danger” 😰😰😰😰😰😰😱😱

6. Indy bombed and Paramount saw a glimmer of hope. Adding a lot of previews before to maximize revenue.

7. SoF rose from the dead and Paramount back on the gloomy vibes 😶‍🌫️

8. By the time MI7 released, it lost a little bit of momentum amid the barbenheimer hype and SoF stealing some of its audience. Leaving some money on the table definitely.

9. Paramount can only hope for the best for MI7 and accepts where fate brings it into. 🫡

10. Paramount can’t delay this further cause it would cause the cost higher. I mean the cost is already near $300M!!!! Better release it now and gambling rather than increasing the expenses again while hoping it would do considerably higher at new date.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Algebra said:

MI bros, feeling like it's joever.

MI7 simply doesn't have the repeat viewing factor of MI6 or TGM. A lot of people watched TGM 7-8 times in theatres alone which is why it had an incredidle multiplier even internationally despite opening lower than MI7.

Keeping expectations low and hope to be positively surprised later

I'm not sure about MI6 as it wasn't DOM juggernaut but did well. Certainly doesn't have the repeat viewing factor of TGM but few films do. Doesn't it still have the best legs easily for 100M+ DOM opener in a long, long, long, long while. MI6 absolutely and Mario and even TGM would've been hurt a bit by something like Oppenheimer and Barbie opening within 10 days of their OD. This will be possibly the biggest admissions weekend DOM since theaters reopened during the pandemic. Would essentially impact just about anything. No shame in that.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm not sure about MI6 as it wasn't DOM juggernaut but did well. Certainly doesn't have the repeat viewing factor of TGM but few films do. Doesn't it still have the best legs easily for 100M+ DOM opener in a long, long, long, long while. MI6 absolutely and Mario and even TGM would've been hurt a bit by something like Oppenheimer and Barbie opening within 10 days of their OD. This will be possibly the biggest admissions weekend DOM since theaters reopened during the pandemic. Would essentially impact just about anything. No shame in that.

Yes TGM had a 5.6x multiplier DOM and 6.2x multiplier INT. Absolutely insane numbers.

It opened right in line with MI7 in like for like markets on aggregate but yeah, the repeat viewing value was insane.

My hope is Barbenheimer is positive for MI7 too somehow

6 hours ago, Algebra said:

MI bros, feeling like it's joever.

MI7 simply doesn't have the repeat viewing factor of MI6 or TGM. A lot of people watched TGM 7-8 times in theatres alone which is why it had an incredidle multiplier even internationally despite opening lower than MI7.

Keeping expectations low and hope to be positively surprised later

I've seen it twice and really enjoyed it both times. I've seen people claim they've seen it 5 times on the MI sub so there's definitely people going for repeat viewings.

39 minutes ago, Austin said:

I've seen it twice and really enjoyed it both times. I've seen people claim they've seen it 5 times on the MI sub so there's definitely people going for repeat viewings.

I just feel the repeat viewings have largely come from existing MI fans. TGM had a chokehold on casuals which very few movies can replicate.

But for all the doom n gloom, if MI7 manages to somehow make the same amount of money in its second week as MI6, I'm sure it sets the stage for great holds ahead. I still have hopes of this doing $700m+ and doing better than Fallout exChina.

I watched MI7 with my friend last Friday in Dolby Cinema.

I purchased tickets for my family and we watched on the largest IMAX screen in Shanghai last Saturday as a family activity. They loved it and three of them purchased the tickets and watched in Dolby Cinama for the second time last Sunday.

I watched the movie for the 3rd time on the 2nd largest IMAX screen in Shanghai yesterday. 

The male vs female ratio of audience is 57.5% vs 42.5% in mainland China, age below 30 vs 30+ is half half. TGM did attract some young people here, many girls became fans of Cruise, it helps the box office of MI7 somehow. 

MI7 performs better in big cities, especially super big cities, e.g. Shanghai and Beijing, nowadays, if a movie wants to make big success here, it has to reach the audience in tier 3 and 4 cities. Unfortunately, MI7 is not so attractive there. 

Promotion from Paramount for MI7 was a disaster here. There is no single poster for MI7 in the cinema with the largest IMAX screen in Shanghai. So what can we expect? 

One major problem I had in this movie was this -

Spoiler

When the villain asks Ethan to choose between Ilsa and Grace...I was like why on earth would Ethan choose someone that he just met a day back and even tried to trick/cheat him over a good friend like Ilsa whom he has known for a long time ? For me, it felt like it was a super easy choise...not really that conflicting

9 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But Paramount had to know about Nolan's contract with IMAX. Paramount spent 2+ years helping Nolan develop and release Interstellar in IMAX. Did they really think IMAX was going to abandon Nolan? His release date for Oppenheimer was setup long before Paramount chose July 12 for Mission. 

wonder if they were expecting Oppenheimer to move to fall. Really dumb 

• Like 1

Almost through my rewatch, ranking so far!!!

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

3. Mission: Impossible 2

4. Mission: Impossible 3

5. Mission: Impossible

(Rogue Nation is the spiritual sequel to MI2) (Ghost Protocol almost seems like it doesn't fit in the series! But it has my favorite set piece as the entirety of the Burj Khalifa scene/chase is UNBELIEVABLE)

I’m so conflicted by MI’s performance. On one hand, it’s easily the weakest in the franchise for me and the mid performance is surely gonna make them reevaluate and make MI8 as close in quality as possible to Fallout/RN/GP.

On the other hand, this is the most iconic action franchise in history and there’s no one in history who’s doing it like Cruise who’s making banger after banger blockbusters in his 5th decade…so watching the B.O play out like this specially after Fallout and TGM makes me incredibly disheartened.

• Like 1