Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

31 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Cruise didn't screw up. September was never a option. Stupid idea from Paramount. No publicity, no premiers due to the SAG strike. Awful weekdays. 

i think September was there only option to secure a longer PLF run, it was too late for anything else. I think it would be late September like it was originally before. Venom did well around then, why would MI struggle that much ?

13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i think September was there only option to secure a longer PLF run, it was too late for anything else. I think it would be late September like it was originally before. Venom did well around then, why would MI struggle that much ?

Comic book movies play younger than Spy action movies and old men are preoccupied with football. 2 years ago Venom 2 did over 200 million and No Time to Die only got to 160 in late sept  early oct. 

The option was there in the first place not to open a week before Oppenheimer. Not to mention that Marvels was supposed to open the week after. September would have worked without the SAG strike. It's absolutely asanine to Paramount to even suggest to move it there given the circumstances. A tentpole without stars promoting is vulnerable. Hence the reason Dune 2 might get moved.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

it won't hit 200m, but may stick around like Rise of The Beasts , and not continue to tank like The Flash

It’s still running ahead of Rogue Nation which ended with $190m. Now that the biggest damage is done and August relatively weak, I think holds would be strong

10 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Unpopular opinion maybe, but trailers for this, and marketing in general, were among the most lazy and uninspired in recent memory.

Nobody was talking about this. They squandered all the goodwill Tom Cruise had from Maverick.

I said that too, but everyone here was in denial and acted like Maggie was an obsessed hater when there were some bad signs from the start. 

55 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Unpopular opinion maybe, but trailers for this, and marketing in general, were among the most lazy and uninspired in recent memory.

Nobody was talking about this. They squandered all the goodwill Tom Cruise had from Maverick.

Goodwill only goes away if the follow up products are crap. Whatever your opinion of the film and its standing in the franchise, it’s leagues ahead of most other action movies.

Also with respect to the domestic B.O, MI7 is looking to finish above the final totals of:

JW4

FastX

NTTD

Hobbs & Shaw

So, it’s essentially the premier action franchise domestically atleast, barring Top Gun.

And while it’s international Box office may not be as stellar as Fallout, it’s still looking likely to match Rogue Nation/Ghost Protocol even with the Chinese takings in shambles.

Lastly, Cruise knows a thing or two about comebacks. I think they’ll sort the marketing and scheduling out with Part2 and aim for it to set franchise records

3 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I said that too, but everyone here was in denial and acted like Maggie was an obsessed hater when there were some bad signs from the start. 

Thank you. As i said, i'm not a hater, but this flopping is good news. Cruise needs to start doing original films, no more action sequels. I don't know what's happening behind the scenes, maybe he's not offered intersting roles,  but he has a production company. At least try something different, even if it flops. An original flop film is more admirable than endless action sequels. The audience is starved for original movies, hence this explosive weekend

This is the best ongoing action franchise and it is underperforming not flopping. If this had been marketed and scheduled better like previous movies it would be performing and having legs like  those  movies. This is not a sign that people are tired of these movies. Opening the week before Oppenheimer knowing you were going to lose the PLF's was either a misguided or arrogant decision.  it could have easily counterprogramed Barbie and did 30-40 this weekend. As for TC needing to go back to more dramatic roles, there have been reports that  top Alist directors do not want to work him because he is the one in charge and the scientology stuff i think.  and that is why he has hitched himself to Mcquarrie and Kosinski and Liman , for the most part ,these last few years. The results have been pretty great  though save for the Mummy and Reacher 2. 

To get the bigger picture, we have to see what DR2 does next year. Don't forget that FALLOUT had a crazy chunk of gross coming from China, from which Paramount actually sees a much smaller percentage revenue. The issue is the domestic drop. DR2 shall improve immensely on that front.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

14 minutes ago, Algebra said:

Isn't MI7 improving on OS-China from MI6?

And if somehow Dom legs out to $190m-200m, then MI7 will be bigger than MI6, exChina

I love your positivity. Even i can not be that postive.  I think 190 is going to be hard.  it made 19.5 million this weekend.  Maybe it took it's biggest hit Fingers crossed but The theater chains can dump this movie this week and start giving those screens up to Barbie or Oppenheimer or the new Movie Haunted Mansion. 

• Like 1