IronJimbo

Alita: Battle Angel ***SPOILER THREAD***

Trying not to get spoiled completely for the movie, but i really would love to know whether Hugos backstory was included. Reviews do describe him as extremely bland so i suspect that none of his pretty tragic history with hunter warriors and his family has been adapted?

2 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Trying not to get spoiled completely for the movie, but i really would love to know whether Hugos backstory was included. Reviews do describe him as extremely bland so i suspect that none of his pretty tragic history with hunter warriors and his family has been adapted?

There is no backstory. He is only seen as how he currently is / what he does in the film (present tense)

I liked him though and the romance clicked with me. I know people criticising it but I thought its one of the things that makes the film work

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

There is no backstory. He is only seen as how he currently is / what he does in the film (present tense)

I liked him though and the romance clicked with me. I know people criticising it but I thought its one of the things that makes the film work

So it is not revealed that he has the hands of his brother (literally)? Thats a shame :)

I read somewhere that there is a prequel novel that fills in these gaps. Guess the film was busy enough without it. Nice to hear that it worked for you though. The way the romance plays out was one of my favourite parts of the anime adaption (and the manga which i read afterwards).

That is a pity. I would have enjoyed that at the very very very least we had a shot of him touching the scar on his wrist while mentioning his brother. Y'know, at least a nod to it.
His background really helps to establish why he dislikes people that enhance themselves, and the horror of what eventually happens to him.

It's nice that it's in the prequel novel, but a mention to it might have helped.

On the other hand, if he was the weakest link of the cast... I'm ok with the cuts.

• Thanks 1

Yeah no Hugo backstory.

Great film, amazing action, great visuals but not quite Jim, solid 8/10 best comic film I've seen in a long long time if not ever.

Going super spoiler in here now be warned.

The film lacks Jim's emotional punch.

Hugo was a good character and works well, problem was the emotional scenes just didn't have the regular Jim level of heart wrenchingnes.

dog death scene I didn't feel much of a reaction from Alita. wanted some anger or sadness

Doesn't show Hugo's back story or insanity when he loses his body and climbs the pipe.

Hugo and Alita still worked well, but it's the wasted potential, it could have been so much more. Flesh out Hugo's character a bit more and show how Zalam consumes him and his inner turnmoil.

I thought Ido and Alita combo worked perfect no need to improve.

The Wire Cutter scene in the underground was incredible... the dodging of the blades is just so satisfying to watch. Motorball is just incredible too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteWings said:

True, but understanding Hugo's point of view really fleshes out the tragedy of his end.

Big missed opportunity. But if everything else works, cool!

a little scene of Hugo losing his mind and starting to climb the pipe, a the backstory earlier in the film. Just try to flesh out his thoughts and why he does what he does and his internal struggle about it. Then again, this is Alita's film right?

Listen the film is great and Hugo worked well, cute little romance but Hugo just isn't fleshed out enough.

Alita, Zapan and IDO are all perfect imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The film lacks Jim's emotional punch.

Hugo was a good character and works well, problem was the emotional scenes just didn't have the regular Jim level of heart wrenchingnes.

Meant pretty much this when i said something was missing.

Fleshing out Hugo would have probably helped.

Also, at the end it felt weird Hugo didn't seem to mind that's he's a robot from the head down.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Did he get to eat some flan? :)  

Sadly not. 

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Also, at the end it felt weird Hugo didn't seem to mind that's he's a robot from the head down.

Agreed, the room needed a little more room to breathe. 

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

In the OVA he's lost his mind and is babbling to his self... in the film he seems too calm for someone climbing a death pipe

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

The time frame from him dying, getting a new body, to climbing and then dying again(for real this time(?)) was so quick and perfunctory that it makes their already boring relationship almost pointless.

• Haha 1