chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

Yaaas. Good choice @ TMTGA I could listen to Andrew’s version all day:

Also, too low for Part of Your a World. Tooo low. That was my

15th place: 220 points (10 votes, 1 top 5)

Ghostbusters - Ghostbusters

We have had many title songs in our list so far, this sadly is the penultimate one that we will see (can you guess which is left? Yes, yes you can.) It's a cool little song, and it was always going to rank high. Personally for me though... actually 15th is about perfect, good job folks.  

• Like 5

14th place: 224 points (7 votes, 1 first, 2 top 5)

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Life of Brian

Is this song the crowning achievement of Monty Python's cinematic history? It may well be, or at least is the best non-sperm related triumph. It also keeps up Monty Python's pretty good record of getting to the final 10 minutes of their film and realising they don't have an ending so just going 'fuck it, let's just sing a song or something, maybe have the police turn up because reasons or whatever'.  

• Like 8

13th place: 225 points (10 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

As Time Goes By - Casablanca

The best song moment from possibly the best film of all time. It is one of the most famous parts of a film full of most famous parts and of course was immortalised in the lines that were never in fact said at any point in the film. 

As an aside, La Marseilles put in a strong challenge in itself, but sadly feel just short in 109th.

• Like 6

12th place: 228 points (10 votes, 1 First, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

When You Wish Upon a Star - Pinocchio

As theme tunes for films go, this one is a doozy as it pretty much became the theme song for Disney in its entirety. It may even be the most listened to song inside the walls of a cinema of any song of all time. I have no numbers to back that up for. 

This is by no means the final Disney song on our list, but it is the last pre-1990 song we will see from the company on this countdown. 

• Like 6

11th place: 235 points (11 votes, 1 top 5, 2 top 10)

What A Feeling - Flashdance

We return to the land of the leotards that fabric forgot one last time as we get the climatic song from Flashdance up next. Just missing out on the top 10, this is a strong finish none the less for another dance film. It also means the crown of top dancing movie song is now down to two contenders, who will rise and take the triumph in that battle? And will it even be the ultimate victor?

• Like 3

10th place: 236 points (10 votes, 2 top 5, 1 top 10)

I will Always Love You - The Bodyguard

And in 10th place we have the highest placed song on the list that was sung by a star of the film, but not sung by said star during the course of the film itself. This is a major hitter in a list like this, so finishing 10th is not a surprise at all. It probably had an outside shot of the win, with the right voting group. 

• Like 3

9th place: 254 points (11 votes, 1 first, 1 top 5)

Lose Yourself - 8 Mile

And now we have the highest placed song on this list that was rapped by a star of the film in question, but not actually rapped in the film itself.  8 Mile is pretty much remembered for 2 things, its excellent final rap battle scene, and this song. It even made us kind of think that maybe Eminem could act, but it turned out he was only really good at pulling off a passable Eminem. 

• Like 6

8th place: 254 points (12 votes, 3 top 10)

Time of My Life - Dirty Dancing

And the silver medal in the dance movie battle goes to Dirty Dancing. It is a great song isn't it? So damn climatic, and a song and a scene that we can all watch and love even if we never want to sit through the actual Dirt fucking Dancing ever again. 

Also the second highest finishing song to not score a top 5 vote and one of only 5 songs to receive 12 votes or more.

• Like 4

7th place: 266 points (9 votes, 2 top 5, 1 top 10)

A WHole New World - Aladdin

Aladdin gets its one and only placement on this list (although friend Like me placed an agonising 107th), It is one of the all time classic Disney duets and one of my personal favourites too.  This was also a song that flirted with the top spot for a couple of lists, before falling away as the lists continued to come in. 

Still, 7th is not to be sneezed at. 

• Like 4

6th place: 279 points (10 votes, 1 First, 2 top 5, 1 top 10)

Beauty and the Beast - 

Beauty and the Beast

A Disney Double bill with another showstopping romantic tune. By far the top scoring Beauty and the Beast song, this is the standout song and the standout moment of one of the best animations ever made. It was always going to be a strong contender, in fact i am a little surprised by a couple of the songs to best it. 

• Like 4

5th place: 284 points (11 votes, 4 top 10)

Eye of the Tiger - Rocky 3

And now we get to the champion of the montage category. This is the ultimate get up and go, let's go fight an elk, movie hype song. It does everything it needs to do and even if I am a little surprised by how much love it received, I am far from being unhappy about it. 

I am surprised that Gonna Fly Now only managed 249th, Living in America and Hearts on Fire ended in 302nd and 307th respectively also. No Easy way out was 751st, and the main song from Rocky 5.... according to my personal memory banks, there actually was no Rocky 5, so scratch that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4th place: 284 points (12 votes, 1 first, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Singing in the Rain - Singing in the Rain

With 4 films left, it's getting easier to know what to expect to show up. Out of said 4 there is an even split between classic cinema and more modern fair. From this split, classic cinema was the first casualty as Singing in the Rain comes in at a dizzying 4th place. 

It does have a lot of honours to accompany that finish too. Top ranked Title song, top song to also include a dance number from the singer, also the top song sung by a male performer. 

Next up we have a song sung by a Canadian hero in a film starring one of Hollywood's Darlings... 

• Like 6

3rd place: 347 points (10 votes, 4 first, 1 top 5)

Ashes - Deadpool 2

Celine Dion is an all time great performer. She has sung more than a few great songs in her times, including some great film soundtracks. But out of all of them, this is the one that received the most love. 4 1st place votes made it the only song to top more than 1 list and thus we see the massive jump in points over 4th place. 

It's also the highest rated song to not be performed during the film itself, but more be the melodic glue that holds a key scene together. We always knew Celine would make the list as she has so much vocal support for her songs, and I am glad Ashes was the one to top score. 

In a shock result, her next highest placed finish was a mere 322nd, with My Heart Will Go On, clearly proof if it were needed, that Titanic is nothing compared to the juggernaut that is Deadpool. 

Edit: I have been informed by the judges that I have confused my Celines with my Dions. 

3rd place: 347 points (10 votes, 4 first, 1 top 5)

My Heart Will Go On - Titanic

The actual third place is this clearly lower profile Celine song from some obscure Indie hit in the 90s. 

• Haha 9

2nd place: 365 points (14 votes, 4 top 5)

Let it Go - Frozen

Well it's official, this is the top Disney song, top animated song, top 21st century song, top Adele Dazeem song, and much much more. Now I like Frozen quite a bit and like this song a lot more than some, but I do feel this is a little high for my tastes. 

However 14 votes is not to be sneered at, only the second song to received 4 top 5 votes or more, and just overall a sign that this is a song that will n ever go away. 

• Like 4

1st place: 495 points (16 votes, 1 first, 6 top 5, 2 top 10)

Somewhere over the Rainbow - Wizard of Oz

And Dorothy repeats her victory of 2 years ago and in the end, by some margin, There were moments when Disney and Celine looked like they were going to claim the victory, but Over the Rainbow was just too consistent. 

It scored the most votes with 16, the most top 5 votes, the most top 10 votes, and well, it just won pretty much however you tried to look at things,

Congratulations to Dorothy and her adrenaline filled fuel ride with a gun-toting scarecrow who has killed before and maybe will again.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1