chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

So... shall we begin?

We have had a grand total of 757 songs chosen from a range of probably about 300 or so different films. 

We saw different philosophies in voting from list to list as song went very soundtrack heavy, others leaned into actual musical cinema. It is also less than surprising that there was a good support of animated fare too. But what came out on top? 

It could be anything. 

...except phil Collins, it was never going to be Phil Collins. 

Sorry Phil 

• Like 4

If you are hoping to do a little hypothesising as to whether song x or y made it onto the list, i will give a couple of minor stats here. 

The highest number of votes received by a song that failed to make the top 100: six (achieved by 3 songs, the lowest of which came in 132nd)

The lowest number of votes received by a song that made the top 100: two (achieved by 2 songs, on both occasions the song received top 5 placements from both votes, the third highest 2 vote wonder was 113th)

Highest placed finish for a song that received just 1 vote: 234th with 50 points achieved by 1 song

Number of songs to receive a top 5 placement as their single solitary vote: 13 (one 1st, two 2nds, four 3rds, and four 4th/5ths.)

Number of songs to receive a top 10 placement as their single solitary vote: 25  

Number of songs to receive a 1st place vote and miss the top 100:  one

Number of songs to receive a top 5 place vote and miss the top 100: 21 (including the 1 first place)

Number of songs to receive a top 10 place vote and miss the top 100: 58 (including the 21 top 5) 

Number of songs to receive multiple top 10 votes and miss the top 100: one (2 votes in the 8-10th range which was enough for 122nd)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Let's kick off with 106th...

106th place: 90 points (7 votes) 

Raindrops keep Falling on My Head - Spider-Man 2

And we kick off with one of the best scenes of what is still the best Spider-man film (but only just) . This song epitomises everything that made Raimi's first 2 films so great and I'm really happy to see it make the list. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

oh... wait. 

Ummm, well this is awkward. It turns out that actually the only person to vote for Spider-man two was me and it actually finished up in 478th. 

The actual 106th placed song was: 

106th place: 90 points (7 votes) 

Raindrops keep Falling on My Head - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I mean, this one is good too and it does have more bicycles. But that fact is also offset by a much smaller quota of radioactively altered meta-humans. So in my book those two things balance themselves out. 

Fun fact: This film snuck into the top 100 with a 74th placed vote from the final list that was accepted literally an hour ago. Without that vote, I would be talking about Do Re Mi right now. 

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

ok, hopefully there won't be too many more screw ups after that one. Oh look it's time for our first Disney song already...

105th place: 91 points (4 votes) 

Once Upon a December - Anastasia

Fun fact, i only saw this film for the first time in the run up to my animated countdown last year. Even though I always wanted to see it and I do love my Disney musicals, I for some reason just never managed it until then. good thing I finally caught up as my vote pushed this into the top 100 and while it is not as high up as some princess songs will be, it still beat out a few higher profile songs that maybe some would expect to see later on. 

I'm just sad that apparently I am the only person to show love for In the Dark of the Night so that one bottomed out in 369th. :(

sorry what's that? Anastasia was a Warner Bros film? Don Bluth you say? Well if you say so. It's absolutely not a Disney princess song. no siree. Well if we are talking about Bluth, then I'll also add that Somewhere Out There finished in 291st. 

• Like 10

and in 104th, we have the first song that has a deeper underlying cause than merely musical entertainment:

104th place: 91 points (4 votes, 1 top 5) 

Equal Rights - Popstar: Never Stop Never Not NEver Stopping Never Ever Ever

The most political song from the Lonely Island musical, this song showcased the more nuanced side of the band as they put aside 4 minutes of run time to tackle an issue that is ignored by 17% of the North American Media. Andy Samberg's character effortlessly highlights the issues faced by many people around the world without ever making it about himself or trivialising the issue in any way. 

It is a protest song that other songwriters should take note from, and that is why this made the top 100, and Glory from Selma could only finish  310th. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

103rd place: 92 points (3 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10) 

Finest Girl - Popstar: Never Stop Never Not NEver Stopping Never Ever Ever

Yet at the end of the day, we are shown once again that a love song will often trump a song about more serious issues. With this entry we get a number of firsts for the list as this is already the first time a film manages to score 2 entries in the top 106 as well as being the first out and out love ballad on the list (even though raindrops is played over a romantic bike ride). 

There is a great subtlety to this song that was maybe missed by song potential voters on this countdown, but those that picked up on the clever, but hard to catch parallels between the special kind of love that a man can feel for a girl within an hour or so of meeting her and the methods used by the US military to track down the former leader of Al Qaeda, well those lucky few were able to understand this song and its place in the film at a plane that us mere mortals will never truly understand. 

• Like 7

ok, so um turns out there was one more list that got sent pretty much 4 minutes before i started the countdown and I didn't notice. 

As I said that all lists will be accepted as long as the countdown had not started and I had also only done 4 reveals. I have added the list to the master list and this countdown has now become a top 106 countdown!!!!

Just let me edit the posts above (all new entries jumped above everything revealed so far) and nobody will ever know that this happened. 

• Like 1

Joint 101st place: 92 points (4 votes) 

Mystery of Love - Call Me By Your name

Shall We Dance - The King and I

And here we have a direct clash between soundtrack song and musical number. Not only that but a clash of classic versus pretty darn new, and finally the biggest clash of all between a film that chas has chosen not to watch for decades vs a film that Chas has had almost zero opportunity to watch in what is a bit less than decades.

going off these Youtube clips alone, I can only draw the conclusion that Call me By your name is the fun story of two friends that go on a lovely hiking trip together and that Mystery of Love was their favourite hiking tune, whereas The King and I is a zany offbeat musical piece about two friends' constant indecision over when is the correct time to go ballroom dancing which culminates in this climactic scene above where the two leads just think 'fuck it' and just dance through every room in the palace.

I could be wrong on both counts though. 

• Like 6

Okay now I am afraid. I know if you leave from pretty in Pink made the countdown 2 years ago but now you say there's actually a film that had one first-place vote that did not make a list. I had if you leave at number one and I really hope it was not left off the list.

• Haha 1

Last one for today...

100th place: 92 points (5 votes) 

Everything is Awesome - The Lego Movie

So apparently this was actually the top 106th movie songs performed by The Lonely Island. 

This song literally made it onto the list 15 minutes ago and by the skin of its teeth. I am happy about that as i voted for it and well also because it is a song that tells us straight how the state of the world is right now and I need no other differing point of view from any other source thank you very much. 

This also makes two animated songs, but yet no Disney. could perhaps every Disney song ever recorded miss the list? 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, baumer said:

Okay now I am afraid. I know if you leave from pretty in Pink made the countdown 2 years ago but now you say there's actually a film that had one first-place vote that did not make a list. I had if you leave at number one and I really hope it was not left off the list.

Unfortunately I did not include it in my list, mostly because I forgot all about it. That being said, I could easily compile a list of movie songs from the 80s (as well as each decade afterward). So many movies in the 80s had soundtracks with original songs used in the movie. Nowadays we only receive a small handful of movies that release original soundtracks. Movie scores now take the place of song soundtracks for the most part and they rarely cross over into other forms of pop culture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Chill, If You Leave was in my Top 5 too so it has probably ranked pretty high up on the list. :P

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Oh look it's time for our first Disney song already...

Disney just bought FOX, so Anastasia IS a Disney Princess now!  Fingers crossed that the Epic Princess Crossover Movie is about finding their long lost sister Anastasia.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

ok, hopefully there won't be too many more screw ups after that one. Oh look it's time for our first Disney song already...

105th place: 91 points (4 votes) 

Once Upon a December - Anastasia

Fun fact, i only saw this film for the first time in the run up to my animated countdown last year. Even though I always wanted to see it and I do love my Disney musicals, I for some reason just never managed it until then. good thing I finally caught up as my vote pushed this into the top 100 and while it is not as high up as some princess songs will be, it still beat out a few higher profile songs that maybe some would expect to see later on. 

I'm just sad that apparently I am the only person to show love for In the Dark of the Night so that one bottomed out in 369th. :(

sorry what's that? Anastasia was a Warner Bros film? Don Bluth you say? Well if you say so. It's absolutely not a Disney princess song. no siree. Well if we are talking about Bluth, then I'll also add that Somewhere Out There finished in 291st. 

Anastasia is a Fox movie. While it isn't a Disney movie, it will be Disney owned very soon.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Am on medication that is putting me to sleep, but i will endeavor to struggle through 3 or 4 songs now so that there isn't to much dead air between reveals. I'll likely tap out and cry sooner rather than later though :)

99th place: 93 points (7 votes) 

Men in Black - Men in Black

Now we're kicking with the proper classic songs. Men in Black and Men in Black seemed to have an almost symbiotic relationship when they were both released back in the day. 

You'd watch Men in Black and Smith's charisma and cool just made you want to watch Men in Black as well straight after. I think this was also the first rap song I ever learned by heart. Or was that Just Cruisin'? 

• Like 6