chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

79th place: 104 points (2 votes, 2 top 5)

Mona Lisa - Popstar just fucking refuses to stop not stopping

So Popstar returns to the summit on its own as the most popular soundtrack in cinema history with its third entry on the list. This is the highest placed song with only 2 votes and in fact there only 1 song left to come that received 3 votes and even after that only 8 more that received four. So this was clear an outlier in being the 2-5th best song ever in the eyes of two unknown possibly heroes, but fails to register with the rest of the world. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

78th place: 104 points (6 votes)

New York, New York - Gremlins the New Batch

YES!! YES!!! All the things yes. I am so happy that this made it onto the... oh for fucks sake again? Why do folks keep picking the wrong versions of things?

To be fair it is a pretty darn good song regardless of who is singing it and it does work as a good commercial for New York City. The Gremlins version finished 292nd. 

• Like 3

77th place: 105 points (5 votes, 1 top Ten)

The Way We Were - The Way We Were

That's two places in a row where the song and the film are essentially the same title. It's a wonderful song, and it's easy to forget when you are busy watch Meet the Fockers 4: Can you all just focking die already!' that Streisand was the total package for a while, years before Lady Gaga eye-fucked a raccoon live on stage atop a piano.

• Like 5

76th place: 106 points (4 votes, 1 top Five)

I dreamed a Dream - Les Miserables

Was this the first time that a song won an acting Oscar? I mean Anne was in like a full 145 seconds of the 4 hour runtime outside of this performance, but basically it was all this song. In the 85 minute interlude mid film where Les Mis forgets its supposed to be a Hugh Jackman film, this was probably the standout moment, and I will say I personally think its one hell of a rendition. 

• Like 4

75th place: 107 points (5 votes, 1 top ten)

You're the Best - The Karate Kid

I don't know why I find it so funny that this song made the list. I mean I really like it, and it is classic montage fair. But we've just had a triple reveal of proper vintage musical songs, and now it is the flipping karate kid. I... just can't help but love that. 

Rock on Ralf. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

74th place: 108 points (7 votes, )

Star Spangled Man - Captain America

And we move onto the most memorable song from the MCU's 17th most memorable film. It is a fun montage scene filler, no karate kid montage, but it tries its best, and apart from the fact that Evans clearly doesn't land any of those punches on Hitler, it is a nice little Jingle that makes me want to go out into the streets and punch men with moustaches.

• Like 7

73rd place: 108 points (8 votes, )

Bohemian Rhapsody - Bohemian Rhapsody

Come on, I bet this silly fake out actually possibly got somebody reaching for their keyboard keys in either joy or anger (probably anger as the version above did not receive a single vote), before you realised that all this typing is just to fill a bit of space before I paste in the Wayne's World video.

As bad of a film as the Wayne's World films were, this is still a great little scene and whenever I see it, I almost forget that everything around it is garbage. Still, it's a song that deserves its place on the list and one of the best uses of a soundtrack song in a film. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

YES!! YES!!! All the things yes. I am so happy that this made it onto the... oh for fucks sake again? Why do folks keep picking the wrong versions of things?

LOL, IDK, why?

• Like 4

72nd place: 110 points (5 votes)

Somewhere - West Side Story

I think if there was a way of collating a list of all the songs from musicals and ask random members of the public if they recognise the song, West Side Stroy may well win the award for having the most number of recognised songs but that the listener does not know the name of the musical they are from. 

Anyhow. 5 songs from the musical received votes, 4 received more than 40 points, but how many if any received more than this did? 

• Like 4

71st place: 110 points (6 votes)

The Sound of Silence - Trolls 

That above there is a wonderful joke from a wonderful film that deserves more love than it got. Saying that, the actual version that made the list is pretty darn solid too:

71st place: 110 points (6 votes)

The Sound of Silence - The Graduate

The juxtaposition of this song playing alongside the visuals of two people realising that they just done fucked up is pretty great. Simon and Garfunkel really did bring it with the soundtrack to this film and I wonder if we will here from them again. 

• Like 4

70th place: 110 points (7 votes)

Que Sera Sera - The man Who knew too much

Wait a sec... is Que Sera Sera French for 'what will be will be'... Or possibly Spanish, Italian or Portuguese, or all of them. I mean they are all just Latin that went a bit wrong in new and interesting ways after all :)

For whatever reason I thought this song came from a completely different musical and that led to some calamities in the early tallying of the first few lists, but I realised my mistake in the end and allowed ol' Doris to get her moment to shine on this countdown.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

75th place: 107 points (5 votes, 1 top ten)

You're the Best - The Karate Kid

I don't know why I find it so funny that this song made the list. I mean I really like it, and it is classic montage fair. But we've just had a triple reveal of proper vintage musical songs, and now it is the flipping karate kid. I... just can't help but love that. 

Rock on Ralf. 

Number 53 for me!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Justice for the Oscar snub!

That was a travesty.  It wasn't even like it was a competitive field that year.  They only nominated TWO SONGS.  What did they just not want Alan Menken to have nine Oscars? Rude!

• Like 1