chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

Tomorrow Belongs To Me might not be a song I would want to listen to in a vacuum like many others on this list, but it is such an incredible movie moment that affects the rest of the film in such a profound way that it has to be high up on a list like this.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Tower said:

Tomorrow Belongs To Me might not be a song I would want to listen to in a vacuum like many others on this list, but it is such an incredible movie moment that affects the rest of the film in such a profound way that it has to be high up on a list like this.

Yeah I always skip it when listening to the movie's soundtrack but in the movie itself, goddamn. I'll always treasure the memory of watching it on the big screen a couple years back and feeling the stunned, dead silence in the theater after that scene ended. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chasmmi said:

36th place: 161 points (5 votes, 2 top 5, 1 top 10)

Tomorrow Belongs to Me - Cabaret

Another occasion where I am not surprised to see a film make the list, but I am maybe surprised at the particular song that made it. Again we are in the classical musical realm that is not my forte, but there are other songs from Cabaret such as Mein herr, that I was expecting to put in a stronger performance than this as opposed to finishing up in 189th. 

I voted for the Title song, even if Maybe This Time is my FAVORITE. 

Yet, I agree with the other posters that Tomorrow Belongs To Me is the most memorable. 

There isn't much to feel good about in Cabaret.  Set in a Kit Kat Klub in 1931 Berlin, as the Nazi Party's on the rise, every character in the story’s running out of time.  It is the movie’s most frightening scene. The lunch between Brian (Michael York’s American bisexual writer) and Maximilian (Helmut Griem’s German playboy) is interrupted by a blonde Youth singing “Tomorrow Belongs To Me”.  This song is deceitfully gorgeous -- it starts off slow, a Youth sings about an idyllic Homeland in a strong tenor. The crowd of seemingly nice, polite people lookonward. Then the camera pans down to show his swastika. And the song changes tempo and becomes a rousing, nationalistic call to arms; and the crowd responses by joining in to sing wearing robust, angry faces. It ends with Brian asking Maximilian: “Do you still think you can control them?” Fucking DAMNING. 

• Like 3

27th place: 189 points (8 votes, 1 top 10)

Take My Breath Away - Top Gun

Top Gun gets its second and most high profile song on its list as emotional ballad beats montage madness every time. It's a great song and completely synonymous with Top Gun, so its no surprise to see it end up so high.

• Like 3

26th place: 189 points (9 votes, 1 first, 1 top 5)

Part of That World -vThe Little Mermaid

Sorry for the shortened reviews, breathing makes me cough, coughing hurts with the power of 26 suns, and results in more breathing and thus the cycle continues. 

Anyhow, this karaoke classic, is the deservedly highest placed Little Mermaid song on this list. It also confirms that Poor unfortunate souls (129th) and Kiss the Girl (210th) missed the list. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

25th place: 190 points (8 votes, 1 first, 1 top 5)

Cabaret - Cabaret

Another title song, and another film celebrating its second and final appearance on our list here. It's no surprise to see this make the list as it is a very popular musical that the previous few posts on this page show has a lot of love throughout this site. 

• Like 7

24th place: 193 points (8 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Don't You Forget About Me - Bumblebee

Way to go Bumblebee!!! Great song from a surprisingly awesome film and I am so glad to see it finish so... yeah you know the drill:

24th place: 193 points (8 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Don't You Forget About Me - The breakfast Club

This is possibly my personal favourite 80s soundtracky type song. It's just really good and to quote Colin Hanks from Finding Forresster: 'That's all I have to write about that.'

• Like 4

23rd place: 193 points (12 votes, 1 top 10)

Stayin' Alive - Saturday Night Fever

I don't think that we've had an opening credits song on this list in quite a while have we? Well get ready for that stat to change drastically in the next few placements. 

How deep is your love was the second highest song from this film in 285th place.

• Like 5

22nd place: 197 points (8 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

White Christmas - Holiday Inn

Hands up anyone who didn't know that this was a movie song? Anyone? This is one of the oldest songs left on the list, one of the final, if not the final black and white song on the list, and the final overtly christmassy song. Go Bing. 

• Like 3

21st place: 200 points (6 votes, 1 first, 2 top 5)

The Man That Got Away - A Star is Born

Man, that is some grainy Lady Gaga footage, she looks like a completely different actress. This was the highest ranked Star is born Song from the 20 different entries that received votes. it is also the first song to break the 200 point mark and did it as the highest ranked song with only 6 votes. In fact only 1 song in the top 20 received less than 9.

• Like 5

20th place: 202 points (7 votes, 1 first, 1 top 10)

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something

BEst song ever! Get in1 And I see what I did here...

20th place: 202 points (7 votes, 1 first, 1 top 10)

Moon River - Breakfast at Tiffany's

Another strong performance from the era of classic cinema as Breakfast at Tiffany's scores is one lone hit on our top 100 with Moon River to ease us into the top 20. 

• Like 5

19th place: 203 points (9 votes, 1 top5, 1 top 10)

The Power of Love - Back to the Future

And we are entering opening song city, with Huey Lewis and the power of Michael J Fox and a spunky little car with weird doors. I've already plead my case for Johnny B Goode being the standout song moment in this film, but the masses have spoken, and they have mistakenly disagreed. 

• Like 3

18th place: 203 points (11 votes,)

Circle of Life - Lion King

And with this, Lion King becomes the first film to score 4 placements on our countdown. Circle of Life is also the highest ranked song to not receive a single top 10 vote. That is doubly weird as the other three songs from the soundtrack all scored top 10 votes, in fact they all got at least one top 5 or even first place vote. 

• Like 4

17th place: 212 points (9 votes, 3 top 5, 1 top 10)

I'll Make a Man Out of You - Mulan

This must be in the remake, I don't care if its not a musical, they can sing it round a campfire or something. Anything. This is the first song to hit the list with 4 top 10 or better votes, and in fact only 2 songs will better this feat all list. 

This is also the second best Disney song after Hellfire. 

• Like 5

16th place: 214 points (10 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Unchained Melody - Ghost

The song that was able to not only make you think that pottery was sexy, but also allowed you to later on forget that that this is actually Demi Moore being caressed by Whoopi Goldberg. 

But still, you made pottery sexy, that's worth at least 30 points right there. 

• Like 4