chasmmi

The top 106 Movie Songs Countdown 2019 Edition, because 106 is best number

45th place: 136 points (5 votes, 1 First)

Skyfall - Skyfall

And its two title songs for two now as Skyfall gives Bond it's second and final placement on this this. Whether one likes or dislikes the song, it is hard to argue that Skyfall was not the song that with the biggest connection to its film equivalent since at least Goldeneye and maybe even the golden age of Bond themes from the times of yore. 

It was also a pretty cool set of opening credits. 

• Like 5

44th place: 141 points (7 votes, 2 top 10)

When You believe - Prince of Egypt

Prince of Egypt is one of those films that i believe manages to be both over and underrated. It is a great animated film, one of the last truly great traditionally animated films from a major animation house, and it is criminally overlooked by a lot of people. Conversely though, it also feels like those that do like this film, hold it to a level of high esteem that it does not quite deserve despite its quality. 

Anyhow the song, the song... When you Believe was by far the most popular song from the film (even though Deliver Us did score a second placed vote that was sadly for it, its only vote) and keeps up the surprisingly strong ratio of songs from non Disney animations to those from Disney animations on this list.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

43rd place: 143 points (8 votes, 1 top 10)

America - West Side Story

Now it is time for the second and final song from West Side Story on this list (I was kind of expecting Tonight to make it as well personally, but that ended up in 183rd). We may see this musical get an extra bounce in the next list if Spielberg's remake is a success, and I would be more than okay with that as the musical has a good selection of really good songs, from which I agree with the masses that this is the best. 

• Like 6

42nd place: 144 points (7 votes)

Supercalifrajalisticexpialadocious - Mark Poppins

A song that came into being when a screenwriter fell off his stool, banged his head, and started speaking in tongues, SCFED is a crazy little song about nothing that manages to make itself more memorable than most musicals' proper songs. 

This is Mary's only placement on this list which is pretty surprising in my opinion. I was expecting much stronger showings from Chim Chim Cheree (217th), and Spoonful of Sugar (229th), but they never materialised.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

41st place: 147 points (8 votes, 1 top 10)

Time Warp - Rocky Horror

Ah, from one nonsense piece of genius to another, as we get the original and best host of the Crystal Maze's shining moment in the world of the movie musical. As a song that handily also tells you how to dance to it, it is also a disco classic and long may it reign. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40th place: 149 points (6 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Everything I do, I do it for You - Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves

The song that successfully conquered the UK and made us all love Bryan Adams (possibly because we thought that Costner was singing it, who knows), and then fucking hate Bryan Adams because the song just would not go away, 

It seems that now the dust has finally settled 25 years on, we are again ready to embrace the greatness of the Bryan and his lovely little song about what happens when you give Peter Pan a bow and arrow. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, chasmmi said:

I'll try to be basically done by the weekend. Am shattered now, but will do a few now. And then will go from there. 

Ok. I'll aim to put up the announcement thread Friday night/Saturday morning my time then

On 4/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, chasmmi said:

42nd place: 144 points (7 votes)

Supercalifrajalisticexpialadocious - Mark Poppins

A song that came into being when a screenwriter fell off his stool, banged his head, and started speaking in tongues, SCFED is a crazy little song about nothing that manages to make itself more memorable than most musicals' proper songs. 

This is Mary's only placement on this list which is pretty surprising in my opinion. I was expecting much stronger showings from Chim Chim Cheree (217th), and Spoonful of Sugar (229th), but they never materialised.

A proof that Marry Poppin Return disappointment is not completely without any sign

39th place: 149 points (8 votes, 1 top 5)

Belle - Beauty and the Beast

The first appearance of Beauty and the Beast on this list is the opening song. Criminally, it is also the only time that Gaston's melodious tones will grace this list as Gaston itself only managed 149th. For Shame!

The Disney is getting more and more frequent on this list at present and we can only wonder if that is a sign of how the business end of this countdown will pan out. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

38th place: 157 points (6 votes)

The Sound of Music - The Sound of Music

The second appearance of Sound of Music (I think) on this list is the title song. Do Re Mi missed the list by 1 point in 108th and favourite things also performed decently in 135th. This is unsurprisingly (to me at least) the highest placed song from this godforsaken film on our list and even if the film is absolutely not for me, I was expecting a much stronger performance here. 

• Like 4

37th place: 160 points (7 votes, 1 top 10)

Remember Me - Coco

I have taken a few months to think this over (well closer to 18 of them at this point), and I have decided that this is in fact the best film Pixar ever made, and the soundtrack is a significant part of that. 

I'd say that the most excellent thing about this song is how well it works in its different renditions. It carries the soul of the film and its final performance pretty much broke me in the cinema. It's a wonderful song. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

36th place: 161 points (5 votes, 2 top 5, 1 top 10)

Tomorrow Belongs to Me - Cabaret

Another occasion where I am not surprised to see a film make the list, but I am maybe surprised at the particular song that made it. Again we are in the classical musical realm that is not my forte, but there are other songs from Cabaret such as Mein herr, that I was expecting to put in a stronger performance than this as opposed to finishing up in 189th. 

• Like 6

35th place: 161 points (9 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Hakuna Matata - Lion King

And now we have 3 films in the song hat trick club as the Disney Juggernaut continues to kick into gear. Hakuna Matata also potentially sees the highest finish of any song containing a fart joke, so it has that going for it. 

Now I like Hakuna Matata enough, but to me it is... well the weakest major song in the film. That this made top 40, and Be Prepared especially doesn't get into the top 100, just seems the wrong way around for me. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34th place: 162 points (8 votes)

Under The Sea - The little Mermaid

More Disney now as we get the second best song from the third best animation of the Disney Renaissance. This is a lot a fun and sticks in your head at least well into your mid-thirties and probably beyond. 

This is also the penultimate song on the list that made it without scoring a single top 10 vote. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

33rd place: 163 points (8 votes, 1 top 10)

Footloose - Footloose

I've decided to cover all my bases with that above video, but I would be surprised if anybody wasn't thinking of the 1984 version. We are slowly running out of dance film songs on this list as Footloose's challenge falls by the wayside. There are still a few other challengers out there flying the flag for dancing, but who will be the eventual victor of this battle? 

• Like 2

32nd place: 163 points (8 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10)

Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast

And we now get our 5th Disney animated song in 8 entries and I think now it is safe to say that the Disney train is all fueled up and ready to take this list by storm. This is also the second time we've seen Beauty and The Beast in the space of 8 entries also. 

Now this is probably my favourite song from the film, so I am happy to see it finish this high, but there me be a whiff of Disney overkill for a few readers out there. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

31st place: 165 points (5 votes, 1 first, 1 top 10)

Hellfire - Hunchback of Notre Dame

Make that 6 from 9 entries as we get what is hands down the best song from any Disney film. Hellfire is a wonderfully dark song that helps to make Hunchback one of the most underrated films in the Disney Pantheon. 

This is also the highest finishing song to receive 5 votes or less. in fact only one higher placed song managed to do so with 6 votes, as well as a mere two more with 7.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

30th place: 178 points (11 votes, 1 top 10)

Mrs Robinson - The Graduate

From one extreme to another as we get the first song to not only break 10 votes, but manages 11, a figure that only 5 songs will beat in the entirety of the list. It is also the Graduate's second and final entry on the list and seeing as Sound of Silence already made the 100, it was pretty expected that we would eventually see this offing in the countdown also.

• Like 5

29th place: 183 points (9 votes, 1 First)

Shallow - A Star is Born

Considering there were 20 different songs credited to A Star is Born that received votes, you'd have thought one would have already shown up by now wouldn't you? But no, we are at the dizzying heights of 29th and we get our first taste of the film that has been remade 14 times by Hollywood and counting.

• Like 4

28th place: 185 points (9 votes, 1 top 5)

I don't Wanna Miss a Thing - Armageddon 

It must be odd to do a scene where a man caresses your unmentionable areas with animal crackers to the sound of your dad serenading you, But Liv Tyler is a trooper god love her, and she powered through that like it was a kink she never knew she had. 

This is the theme song to Michael Bay's best film that doesn't star Will Smith, and it's a pretty darn good power ballad that in my eyes deserves its lofty finish on our list. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1