Eric is Quiet

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

35 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Not to keep this going anymore, but when I started thinking about all that it would take for anyone to actually do this, it is beyond ridiculous.

Yeah Disney spends millions of dollars financing these movies, ditto on P&A, pays the critics to give them good reviews, pays RT to silence any of the ordinary joes who won't play along, to then turn around and buy up large blocks of tickets to these movies.  I can just picture the executive meeting where this was all concocted.

Bob Iger: Gentlemen, we have a problem.  Our parks are generating entirely too ... much ... money.  What I need from you are ideas on how we're going to dump copious amounts of cash under what would otherwise seem to be a sound business plan.  Hit me.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

top 10 of the year so far i'm bored let's go

1. Us

2. Glass

3. Climax

4. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

5. Alita: Battle Angel

6. Transit

7. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

8. High Flying Bird

9. Greta

10. Leaving Neverland

Apollo 11, HDD2U, and Shazam are just outside for me

Lol, I’ve only seen Us and Glass so far this year.

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I do not agree with you at all.  It's getting the reactions it's getting because people genuinely love it.  It's hard to fake your love for something just because someone's name is attached to it.  By that logic, Interstellar would've been just as well reviewed as every other Nolan film.

Exactly.

I agree. I feel that US is a solid film, I caught the film with a bunch of friends (who doesn’t know Jordan Peele, not sure what is Key and Peele) and my Girlfriend (who felt Get Out was an average film). They all enjoyed US. And I live in Singapore, which is in Southeast Asia and GA here really doesn’t know much about Peele or Get Out...

For me, the preconceived notion that this is from Jordan Peele hyped me up for the film, but I will call a spade a spade. I love Nolan’s films but did not like Dunkirk at all.

of course this may not be true for everyone but honestly, if the film was that bad; it doesn’t matter who the director is - WoM is going to be bad. I think WoM for US is pretty decent.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I do not agree with you at all.  It's getting the reactions it's getting because people genuinely love it.  It's hard to fake your love for something just because someone's name is attached to it.  By that logic, Interstellar would've been just as well reviewed as every other Nolan film.

I'm not saying audiences are faking love for it.  I'm saying Peele appeals to people and hence he gets a free pass in a way.  

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

33 minutes ago, baumer said:

Let's pretend that we live in an alternate universe and some other filmmaker made the exact same film that we saw on screen over the weekend, I don't believe it would get the same reactions that it's getting with Jordan peele's name attached to it.

Alright, I'm pretending I'm living in an alternate universe where Roland Emmerich made Us and Nickleback wrote Hey Jude. Us is still a badass movie and Hey Jude is still a great song, WOW.

• Like 3

I’m not getting some of these Us criticisms.

”It’s too political to appeal outside the US”

- Umm... There’s nothing inherently political about the movie at all (you can perhaps draw some political metaphors but the metaphors are general enough to allow a wide range of interpretations)

”It wouldn’t have been a hit or liked without Jordan Peele’s name!”

- That’s dumb, plenty of big name and well-liked directors have a critical or financial flop after a hit.  Just look at Nolan, Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.  People like the movie for its own merits, even if the Peele name brand probably boosted the OW by 10-20m.

Is it so hard to imagine that just because you didn’t like a critical and financial hit that there isn’t some falsity to the movie’s success and it earned it on its own merit?

• Like 7

Just now, MOVIEGUY said:

Alright, I'm pretending I'm living in an alternate universe where Roland Emmerich made Us and Nickleback wrote Hey Jude. Us is still a badass movie and Hey Jude is still a great song, WOW.

Cool.  I'm glad you liked it.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not saying audiences are faking love for it.  I'm saying Peele appeals to people and hence he gets a free pass in a way.  

By saying Peele is getting a free pass you’re saying people and critics are faking that they likes it.  That’s silly.

• Like 3

Just now, The Panda said:

I’m not getting some of these Us criticisms.

”It’s too political to appeal outside the US”

- Umm... There’s nothing inherently political about the movie at all (you can perhaps draw some political metaphors but the metaphors are general enough to allow a wide range of interpretations)

”It wouldn’t have been a hit or liked without Jordan Peele’s name!”

- That’s dumb, plenty of big name and well-liked directors have a critical or financial flop after a hit.  Just look at Nolan, Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.  People like the movie for its own merits, even if the Peele name brand probably boosted the OW by 10-20m.

Is it so hard to imagine that just because you didn’t like a critical and financial hit that there isn’t some falsity to the movie’s success and it earned it on its own merit?

I said I understand why people liked it.  I also think that Peele helps people like it.  Is that so hard to imagine?

Just now, The Panda said:

By saying Peele is getting a free pass you’re saying people and critics are faking that they likes it.  That’s silly.

I'm saying his name has influenced people's enjoyment of it.  It's an incredibly silly film with plot holes galore.....but people are over looking that for various reasons.

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 8

2 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Above average? 🤔  It’s outgrossed Thor Ragnarok, Both Guardians movies, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man Homecoming, both Deadpools, and BvS in a little more than 2 weeks. It’s more than just ‘above average’

It does sound like a bad thing, but MCU's average is currently $878.1m. So it technically just passed that.

• Like 2

It'd be nice if people got that just because you dislike a movie doesn't mean everyone who liked it had some sort of underlying bias towards it. I'm kind of mixed on Us personally but for the people who really like it, they just really liked it. That simple.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Aren't those basically the same thing? Yeah Jordan Peele's name got a lot of people's foot in the door absolutely, but if people like the movie they like the movie and vice versa. I saw it with a group of friends last night and some liked it more than others. Some were saying the same thing as you about plotholes, no one was going "Well it's Jordan Peele so therefore it was awesome." I think everyone's giving their honest opinions about the movie and like you a lot of people aren't going to love it.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 3

Turns out their is a loving box office god. Finally a non franchise live action film succeeds at a blockbuster level (I mean a $70M OW is impressive all things considered) and Jordan Peele is or has become a household name director, and I look forward to whatever he’s got in store. I’m seeing US on my birthday which is Wednesday and I’m excited.

I can also see Dumbo and Shazam reaching $70M OW as well. 

Just now, baumer said:

I'm saying his name has influenced people's enjoyment of it.  It's an incredibly silly film with plot holes galore.....but people are over looking that for various reasons.

Unanswered questions are not the same thing as plot holes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, baumer said:

I said I understand why people liked it.  I also think that Peele helps people like it.  Is that so hard to imagine?

If you’re meaning people were hyped to see the movie because of Peele?  Sure, that’s obvious.

Are you meaning Peele helped people like it because he has a distinct style and voice in his films that people are digging?  That’s also obvious.

But if you’re meaning that people thought “Oh this is Jordan Peele, so I’ll like it!”  That’s dumb.  I haven’t seen any precedent of a director getting a ‘free pass’ because of their name.  From similar fresh starts like Ava Duverney, to veterans like Spielberg, none of them have gotten free praise because of their name alone.  They still had to make movies that connected with their audiences.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Cool, that’s your opinion.  That’s obviously not my opinion, or the opinion of other people who liked the movie.

When you’re saying that Peele’s name influenced people’s enjoyment of it, it comes across as claiming people like me or @That One Guy are lying or being disingenuous about liking the movie.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's more than just his "name" though. It's everything, his style, vision, whatever. Like I kinda get what you're saying, I like Tarantino/Wes Anderson/The Coens and will watch any movie that they put out because they're great filmmakers with great instincts. But if they make a movie that sucks (which in my opinion they haven't yet) I'm not going to go "Well it's them so I have to like it!" 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Not to keep this going anymore, but when I started thinking about all that it would take for anyone to actually do this, it is beyond ridiculous.

I don't know if it was the origin of this conspiracy, but I read a tweet talking about a theater that had 25 seats per show that were empty while being sold.

The big question is how do they know how many tickets to buy each day????

Seriously, this movie performed almost exactly like every other MCU movie, so they would have to be mind readers, or they didn't actually buy tickets.  Also, if they bought this many on opening weekend, they would have to buy tickets every single day to keep up the appearance.

It's a good thing End Game is coming out soon. Between paying critics for good reviews, buying out Fox and paying for millions of dollars worth of Captain Marvel tickets every single day, Disney Studios is gonna go bankrupt any day now :sadno:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Unanswered questions are not the same thing as plot holes.

LOL yea okay.....this film has more holes than swiss cheese.  That's not opinion, it's fact.  

Look, I'll back out of this.  In my older age I've gotten tired of arguing with a mob.  You guys love it and that's actually cool with me.  I'm glad to see so many people liking a horror movie.  Just wasn't my tempo.  I am not trying to say you guys are lying, I'm not saying that at all.  And I'm not going to spend the day arguing with you guys.  If you enjoyed it you don't need me to feel the same way in order for your opinion to be validated.  :sparta: