Eric is Quiet

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

Just got back.There's some metaphors i gotta digest, but the movie biggest problem is that it was not thrilling. there were dead moments. i was just not satisfied. 6.5/10    GET OUT was simply too good

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Cool, that’s your opinion.  That’s obviously not my opinion, or the opinion of other people who liked the movie.

When you’re saying that Peele’s name influenced people’s enjoyment of it, it comes across as claiming people like me or @That One Guy are lying or being disingenuous about liking the movie.

I see what you are saying and I guess I'm saying it wrong.  

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Just got back.There's some metaphors i gotta digest, but the movie biggest problem is that it was not thrilling. there were dead moments. i was just not satisfied. 6.5/10    GET OUT was simply too good

Not sure there were any metaphors.  

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm saying his name has influenced people's enjoyment of it.  It's an incredibly silly film with plot holes galore.....but people are over looking that for various reasons.

I disagree. His name influenced people to go out and watch it but his name did not influence whether people liked it or not. If you say that about Us, then you could literally say that about every single director. But if you check, most well known directors have films that folks didn't like compared to their other films. For example, if I don't like a film by Nolan, I don't just praise it because Nolan directed it. I watched it because Nolan directed it but his name alone has zero influence over my enjoyment/critique of the movie. And I would argue that Us had a lot to live up to since it came right after Get Out so most folks had high expectations for Us....and it looks like for most folks it lived up to those expectations.

It wasn't your cup of tea. Cool. Other people didn't like it either. But I don't think those that did like it, liked it because Jordan Peele directed it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Kinda like Michael Bay appeals to you?

Exactly.  Maybe I wouldn't enjoy some of his movies if they were made by someone else.  But yes, if Bay's name is attached to a film, I already think I'm going to enjoy it...so maybe I overlook some negative things about his films because  generally like his vision.

Just now, baumer said:

LOL yea okay.....this film has more holes than swiss cheese.  That's not opinion, it's fact.  

It's not a fact.  A movie is not required to explain every single logical gap in the film, especially when it's a story that's mainly focused on one singular family, and especially when the concept of the movie alone is always going to have some hole in it no matter what route you take in terms of approaching the story.  Taking time to explain every single aspect of the doppelgangers would've hurt the movie, not helped it.  I noticed a few small logical gaps, but I didn't go into the movie actively looking to nitpick it, and as such these don't factor into my grade for the movie and don't affect my enjoyment whatsoever.

Seriously getting real tired of people noticing a few small logical errors (especially in movies meant to not be realistic in any way) and acting as if this suddenly makes it a worse movie.  Every movie has "plot holes" if you look long and hard enough.  Just enjoy the fucking movie, jesus

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm saying his name has influenced people's enjoyment of it.  It's an incredibly silly film with plot holes galore.....but people are over looking that for various reasons.

I fucking Knew it !!!

:rofl::hahaha:

Fist Bro Bump on US B.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

Nah. When the best directors like Spielberg makes a bad film the public reject it.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

It's not a fact.  A movie is not required to explain every single logical gap in the film, especially when it's a story that's mainly focused on one singular family, and especially when the concept of the movie alone is always going to have some hole in it no matter what route you take in terms of approaching the story.  Taking time to explain every single aspect of the doppelgangers would've hurt the movie, not helped it.  I noticed a few small logical gaps, but I didn't go into the movie actively looking to nitpick it, and as such these don't factor into my grade for the movie and don't affect my enjoyment whatsoever.

Seriously getting real tired of people noticing a few small logical errors (especially in movies meant to not be realistic in any way) and acting as if this suddenly makes it a worse movie.  Every movie has "plot holes" if you look long and hard enough.  Just enjoy the fucking movie, jesus

There's nothing small about the plot holes.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

LOL yea okay.....this film has more holes than swiss cheese.  That's not opinion, it's fact.  

Look, I'll back out of this.  In my older age I've gotten tired of arguing with a mob.  You guys love it and that's actually cool with me.  I'm glad to see so many people liking a horror movie.  Just wasn't my tempo.  I am not trying to say you guys are lying, I'm not saying that at all.  And I'm not going to spend the day arguing with you guys.  If you enjoyed it you don't need me to feel the same way in order for your opinion to be validated.  :sparta:

I don’t think any of us mind that you didn’t care for it.  I think the nerve that struck was saying that people only liked it because of Peele’s name, or something roughly equivalent to that.

Just now, baumer said:

There's nothing small about the plot holes.

You're being vague (and I get that because it's spoilers and whatnot) but given that the movie is critically acclaimed, widely beloved, and you're one of the few people I've heard that's talked about the plot holes as if it's a major criticism of the movie, I highly doubt that what you're referring to is something that 99% of viewers will give a shit about

Just now, The Panda said:

I don’t think any of us mind that you didn’t care for it.  I think the nerve that struck was saying that people only liked it because of Peele’s name, or something roughly equivalent to that.

So there's about 10,000 people here who love the film and one person who doesn't care for it....and yet you choose to focus on the one person who doesn't like it?  

Never change forums...never change.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

You're being vague (and I get that because it's spoilers and whatnot) but given that the movie is critically acclaimed, widely beloved, and you're one of the few people I've heard that's talked about the plot holes as if it's a major criticism of the movie, I highly doubt that what you're referring to is something that 99% of viewers will give a shit about

I agree most people don't care about the plot holes.

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Look, I'll back out of this.  In my older age I've gotten tired of arguing with a mob.  You guys love it and that's actually cool with me.  I'm glad to see so many people liking a horror movie.  Just wasn't my tempo.  I am not trying to say you guys are lying, I'm not saying that at all.  And I'm not going to spend the day arguing with you guys.  If you enjoyed it you don't need me to feel the same way in order for your opinion to be validated.  :sparta:

Yup, that's what I needed, your validation to know that the movie was good. I didn't see it as an argument more a discussion, I mean it is a message board after all and I wasn't trying to gang up on you, but oookay

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

So there's about 10,000 people here who love the film and one person who doesn't care for it....and yet you choose to focus on the one person who doesn't like it?  

You're really, really not the only person on here who dislikes Us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I’m not focusing on your opinion of it, or trying to change it.

You got focused on because your comments implied that the people who liked the movie were being disingenuous about it.  Of course that’s going to get people peeved.

• Like 2