Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

https://movieplotholes.com/indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark

Googled "raiders of the lost ark plot holes" and immediately got this.  Almost as if "plot hole" is a completely meaningless term and can't be used to dictate the quality of a movie?

Cool.  

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

I said I understand why people liked it.  I also think that Peele helps people like it.  Is that so hard to imagine?

No, it is not. I do not understand why your comment has generated so much clapback.

I don't think it is an inherently negative opinion or that it is a slam against the film.

There are many things that influence audiences opinion of films, whether it is the Marvel Studios brand, or Melissa McCarthy being the star or Cameron or Nolan directing or whatnot. I totally get what you mean, and I actually liked US, but yeah...Peele's name was a huge plus for me to go watch it. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda said:

I’m not focusing on your opinion of it, or trying to change it.

You got focused on because your comments implied that the people who liked the movie were being disingenuous about it.  Of course that’s going to get people peeved.

Never once said people were being disingenuous.  If it came out that way I apologize.  Just saying that I think people wanted to like this and that helped them like it a lot.  

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you guys.  You liked it and that's great.  I didn't, so oh well. 

Even as somebody who loved Us, Baumer does have some points here. People have their own biases going into movies. We all have directors, actors, or even franchises or studios that we like more than others. And while that may not necessarily mean you will automatically like or dislike something, nor does that make your enjoyment disingenuous or a denial, you can be prone to hyperbole or excusing minor flaws or issues.

I'm the resident Chalamet fanboy here, and while I was able to find things to like and enjoy in Call Me By Your Name and even Beautiful Boy, and can commend a lot of quality elements about it, I can't deny that if I wasn't as obsessed with Chalamet as I am, I probably wouldn't have gotten as much out of it as I did.

• Like 4

US doesn't have plot holes, what the movie allows itself to do doesn' t even have a word to describe it.

So we re gonna have to invent that word because sweet lord, I felt embarrassed for everyone involved in this movie ...

Hope Lupita will shine as the orange alien in Ep 9 to recover from this.

Good Luck.

US had ... great clothes and ... scissors, does that count ?

:thinking:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I'm a big conspiracy guy...but like Futurist said, they jumped the shark a little bit with some of the stuff in the film.  IMO.

Just now, The Futurist said:

US doesn't have plot holes, what the movie allows itself to do doesn' t even have a word to describe it.

So we re gonna have to invent that word because sweet lord, I felt embarrassed for everyone involved in this movie ...

Hope Lupita will shine as the orange alien in Ep 9 to recover from this.

Good Luck.

It must really hurt you that a movie that cost 1/10 of the average blockbuster is doing blockbuster-level numbers.  Please try to keep your venting outside the forum though

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Googled "raiders of the lost ark plot holes" and immediately got this.  Almost as if "plot hole" is a completely meaningless term and can't be used to dictate the quality of a movie?

The real question is how did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham?

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

It must really hurt you that a movie that cost 1/10 of the average blockbuster is doing blockbuster-level numbers.  Please try to keep your venting outside the forum though

Or maybe he just really and genuinely hated it as much as he says he does.

Just now, Alli said:

one more thing. can critics stop raving about some movies like they are the second coming/the first movie they saw in their life? always found that annoying.

When I saw the headline... "BEST. HORROR. MOVIE. EVER."  it first made me want to puke and then secondly it just made me wonder if the person who said that had seen any films prior to 2010.

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not sure there were any metaphors.  

If you truly believe this then you are simply being naive for the sake of being naive.

And I have yet to hear a "plot hole" from this movie that couldn't easily be explained with the exposition and clues from the film (aka not a plot hole) and isn't insignificant. So I would love to hear your list of the numerous plot holes that are in this film (obviously not in this thread)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Or maybe he just really and genuinely hated it as much as he says he does.

Movie starts well, great mood and creepy set up, but it sinks into the abyss as the big "mystery" unfolds minute after minute ... to the trench where Cameron set a diving record with his submarine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

If you truly believe this then you are simply being naive for the sake of being naive.

And I have yet to hear a "plot hole" from this movie that couldn't easily be explained with the exposition and clues from the film (aka not a plot hole) and isn't insignificant. So I would love to hear your list of the numerous plot holes that are in this film (obviously not in this thread)

Metaphors?  Hmmm...sorry but I think you are looking too deeply into it.  Just my opinion but we all get different things out of movies.  If you felt there was a deeper meaning to the film then that's great.  But to me it was pretty much straight forward.

4 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

giphy.gif

So my first prediction went well, Baumer didn't like the movie for the reasons I thought he would, which are the same as mine.

Now let s see if the movie can do  -60% next week end.

Not rooting for the movie to fail, just hoping my prediction will work.

Jordan really like dat rap song tho.

• Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

There are some cases where I can see “plot holes” and “logical inconsistencies” as being major detriments to movies, but they’re rarely the cases people harp on.

People seem to usually only bring up the “plot hole” argument when they don’t like a movie and feel like they need justification as to why they didn’t.

I watched the Red Balloon short film earlier this week, and I wasn’t big on it.  It’d be easy to harp on things like, “How was that balloon sentient at times and other times just a normal balloon?  Why was the child being locked in a room seen as normal? That doesn’t make sense and is dumb!”  Or I could not be obtuse and realize, those directional choices were intentional and were meant to get across a certain point by the director.  And I can realize that and still keep my opinion in not liking the short film.

• Like 2