TombRaider

Alita, what went wrong??

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Ghost in the Shell made 169M.  If anything Alita overperformed, especially compared to pre-release expectations.  It won't be a huge profit for the studio, but it should break even in the long run

thats like comparing fast and the furious to any random car movie. nonsense.

I wouldn't say anything went wrong since this would have been a nice little hit if the budget was kept at around 120M or so. That being said, you couldn't have the movie we got if the budget was low. I think the weaker domestic performance can be chalked up to some of the earlier marketing being rather GA-unfriendly, and trying to pander more to geek crowds. That being said, the later trailers were a big improvement. 

I think there's also just a sort of 'stigma' with the genre. Movies like Ghost in the Shell, Death Note etc. haven't really done much to instill trust among North American (or worldwide for that matter) audiences towards Hollywood anime adaptations. I don't think it's the fault of this movie itself, since it was in my opinion pretty decent (albeit highly flawed in some regards) and much better than recent anime adaptations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

the movie is officially done everywhere and has grossed 400m (132m from china...) with a 170m budget

what went wrong?? is this a bad sign for avatar 2?

:hahaha:

keep praying, you'll need some power from satan if you need Avatar 2 to fail

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

thats like comparing fast and the furious to any random car movie. nonsense.

Both were big budget anime/manga sci-fi adaptations with female leads released in the spring, seem like pretty ok comparisons to me.  What do you propose as a better comparison?

I don't get the people who make this movies domestic take sound positive. It failed badly for a movie that was made for 170m or possible higher. The only place it overperformed is China. 

5 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I don't get the people who make this movies domestic take sound positive. It failed badly for a movie that was made for 170m or possible higher. The only place it overperformed is China. 

Don't slight France. 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, the only thing that really went wrong here was critics being overly harsh on it, probably leading a ton of on the fence people to wait for streaming. Hell, even I almost passed on it in the theater because of the reviews. There being nothing else to see and the late marketing impressing me is the only reason I ended up going. It's worth noting that it got a 3x multi, very good for the genre (especially the manga sub-genre) and indicative that WOM was indeed strong. Just had too weak of an opening. 

I do think they totally botched the initial marketing and rollout for it too though. The first teaser looked pretty silly and niche, and that original December release date was a death wish. Props for this being one of the few times a studio wasn't too stubborn to realize their mistakes, and corrected both the weak marketing and the bad release date. Maybe too little too late I suppose. Though I definitely think it would have made maybe half of what it did DOM with the original release. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Don't slight France. 

China, Russia, France, HK, Germany, Indonesia, South Korea, Mexico are all good or decent. Problem is the rest weren't. America is what hurt the most. Same figures elsewhere and 170 in US and it's considered a mild success. Still under Ready Player One but a decent profit.

• Like 1

Yeah, the early reviews really did not help with this. With a large franchise reviews are not that important, but something like Alita really can be damaged quite a bit. Especially if the bad reviews come in early (this started in the low 30ties).

I have tried finding a movie that has a similar top critics/critics difference as Alita and was not able to (27% points)... it really got trashed by a lot of early (major) outlets.

Aside from that yeah, the budget is a bit of a problem, but at least every penny of that is visible on screen.

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Both were big budget anime/manga sci-fi adaptations with female leads released in the spring, seem like pretty ok comparisons to me.  What do you propose as a better comparison?

GITS had 1/5 the promo alita had. for starters.

• Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly, the only thing that really went wrong here was critics being overly harsh on it, probably leading a ton of on the fence people to wait for streaming. Hell, even I almost passed on it in the theater because of the reviews. There being nothing else to see and the late marketing impressing me is the only reason I ended up going. It's worth noting that it got a 3x multi, very good for the genre (especially the manga sub-genre) and indicative that WOM was indeed strong. Just had too weak of an opening. 

I do think they totally botched the initial marketing and rollout for it too though. The first teaser looked pretty silly and niche, and that original December release date was a death wish. Props for this being one of the few times a studio wasn't too stubborn to realize their mistakes, and corrected both the weak marketing and the bad release date. Maybe too little too late I suppose. Though I definitely think it would have made maybe half of what it did DOM with the original release. 

I didn't like the December 2017 preview, they should have waited until they had more material to show. Apparently Fox forced them to release a preview.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

GITS had 1/5 the promo alita had. for starters.

Not sure where you're pulling that from, I remember a similar amount of promo for GITS as Alita.  The only issue was that the promo for GITS wasn't anywhere near as appealing as Alita's