CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

One thing I've noticed in these reactions is that nobody is saying that the movie was confusing and almost nobody has complained about the length, both which could bode well for repeat viewings. Crimes of Grindelwald felt long, muddled, and the plot never really got off the ground. It seems with this movie at least the plot moves along at a decent pace and more stuff to keep your attention.

Edited by Gazer365
  • Like 1

I'm confident in a fresh score on RT and in an overall positive response from audiences.

The only reason I'm still nervous about box office is that people online have already written off the Fantastic Beasts series. In my opinion the first movie is excellent, and I'm excited for Secrets of Dumbledore because it seems just as fun and inspired. But I don't know how general audiences feel, the online discourse makes me question if even a pretty good third movie will be enough to bring audiences back. Especially in this post-covid era where people are only showing up for select franchises. 

• Like 2

Among the critics that count to RT, we are at ~65% (11 probably fresh/6 probably rotten). But we have no reactions from any top critics so far. CoG has 52 on MC, which isn't bad for a movie with 36% on RT.

2 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Among the critics that count to RT, we are at ~65% (11 probably fresh/6 probably rotten). But we have no reactions from any top critics so far. CoG has 52 on MC, which isn't bad for a movie with 36% on RT.

Perri Nemiroff is a top critic, but we need to hear from way more of the bigger publications.

• Like 1

Here's how I see it so far, with the caveat that not all of these critics will have a review on RT (Rocha and Schiller have not had one for years):

Ethan Anderton - Rotten
Rendy Jones - Rotten
Rick Marshall - Fresh
Sean Chandler - Fresh
John Nguyen - Rotten
Douglas Laman - Rotten
Grace Randolph - Fresh
David Gonzalez - Fresh
Rachel's Reviews - Fresh
Kaitlyn Booth - Rotten
Tessa Smith - Fresh
Preston Barta - Rotten
John Rocha - Fresh
Carson Timar - Rotten
Eric Goldman - Fresh
Griffin Schiller - Fresh
Perri Nemiroff - Fresh
Ian Sandwell - Fresh/Rotten (big questionmark this one, for me)
Dave Lee - Fresh
Ben Rolph - Fresh

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Here's how I see it so far, with the caveat that not all of these critics will have a review on RT (Rocha and Schiller have not had one for years):

Ethan Anderton - Rotten
Rendy Jones - Rotten
Rick Marshall - Fresh
Sean Chandler - Fresh
John Nguyen - Rotten
Douglas Laman - Rotten
Grace Randolph - Fresh
David Gonzalez - Fresh
Rachel's Reviews - Fresh
Kaitlyn Booth - Rotten
Tessa Smith - Fresh
Preston Barta - Rotten
John Rocha - Fresh
Carson Timar - Rotten
Eric Goldman - Fresh
Griffin Schiller - Fresh
Perri Nemiroff - Fresh
Ian Sandwell - Fresh/Rotten (big questionmark this one, for me)
Dave Lee - Fresh
Ben Rolph - Fresh

I think Anderton and Sandwell are a 3/5 Fresh. And I forgot to add Goldman, so ~67% (12 fresh/6 rotten) I guess.

10 minutes ago, Felipe said:

I think Anderton and Sandwell are a 3/5 Fresh. And I forgot to add Goldman, so ~67% (12 fresh/6 rotten) I guess.

Sandwell really depends how lenient he wants to be. His positivity only comes in comparison to the last film, which doesn't automatically mean this one is good. "Fleetingly recaptures the magic, overstuffed and unsure if it's a Beasts film or a Harry Potter film." doesn't sound nice. Same with Anderton's "however, these stories still don’t feel necessary enough.". I guess Anderton *could* be a bit lenient too, but I'm dubious. Both could be 3/5, but as we already know, they can still decide it's rotten.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Dont you know? A movie is either TERRIBLE or AMAZING.

There cant be any middle ground. There cant be nuance. It is not ALLOWED. I know that because TWITTER says thats how things should be!

Isn't this why Marty Scorsese railed against them a few years ago? They push a really binary thinking onto film criticism. 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Sandwell really depends how lenient he wants to be. His positivity only comes in comparison to the last film, which doesn't automatically mean this one is good. "Fleetingly recaptures the magic, overstuffed and unsure if it's a Beasts film or a Harry Potter film." doesn't sound nice. Same with Anderton's "however, these stories still don’t feel necessary enough.". I guess Anderton *could* be a bit lenient too, but I'm dubious. Both could be 3/5, but as we already know, they can still decide it's rotten.

Anderton is 100% a fresh, and Sandwell almost definitely (reads more positive than negative).

That's 15 now?

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Anderton is 100% a fresh, and Sandwell almost definitely (reads more positive than negative).

That's 15 now?

It would be 14, but I'm not sure I'd write "this story isn't necessary enough" if I was intending to give it a positive review. Or "It doesn't know what it is" and "The magic is only fleeting". Something can be an improvement while still being too mediocre for a fresh rating.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It would be 14, but I'm not sure I'd write "this story isn't necessary enough" if I was intending to give it a positive review. Or "It doesn't know what it is" and "The magic is only fleeting". Something can be an improvement while still being too mediocre for a fresh rating.

It reads a fresh. 

So 14/20 now.

With one top critic that gave Crimes a 3/10 really enjoying this.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It reads a fresh. 

So 14/20 now.

With one top critic that gave Crimes a 3/10 really enjoying this.

12/18. Rocha and Schiller's last reviews that counted for RT were in 2019.

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

But you would think Rottentomatoes would have a yellow or lukewarm symbol instead of just fresh and rotten. 

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Dont you know? A movie is either TERRIBLE or AMAZING.

There cant be any middle ground. There cant be nuance. It is not ALLOWED. I know that because TWITTER says thats how things should be!

At least with the aggregate score has 3 "levels". Rotten, Fresh and Certified Fresh

20 hours ago, Samwise the Brave said:

13/7 12/8 for it. How was it for CoG

Oh out of these critics, like 19 negatives lol. Ben Rolph being the only positive with a 5/5 (as I said before, he'll like anything lol). It's possible David Gonzalez is also fresh but he hasn't really said. The publication he's at gave it a positive review but it wasn't from him, though he did share it on twitter. Tessa Smith is also an easy mark so she may have liked it but there's no info on that, but at the very least 17 negatives out of these 20 lol.

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Oh out of these critics, like 19 negatives lol. Ben Rolph being the only positive with a 5/5 (as I said before, he'll like anything lol). It's possible David Gonzalez is also fresh but he hasn't really said. The publication he's at gave it a positive review but it wasn't from him, though he did share it on twitter. Tessa Smith is also an easy mark so she may have liked it but there's no info on that, but at the very least 17 negatives out of these 20 lol.

I hope there will be much more positives. I mean it's not that fascinating to many but almost all recognised it moving in the right direction