Eric Prime

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Assuming we don’t hear any extras come forward about being harassed or uncomfortable on set, then I don’t think it would be unreasonable to assume that certain bigwigs in Hollywood are trying to paint a particular narrative because they’re mad that Coppola made a movie outside the studio system. The trades were doing the same thing with American Horizon. 

To be clear though, I don’t think Coppola is some kind of saint. What he did to Victor Salva’s victim was pretty scummy, but I don’t see the trades bringing that up. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

All this controversy over a movie that will be lucky to hit a total in the double digits area at the box office. 

Come on, there’s more to art than just pure monetary gross haha. Coppola still produced some of the most impactful movies of all time; him being a creep (or not?) would be something that would send shockwaves to an industry he contributed so much to

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Come on, there’s more to art than just pure monetary gross haha. Coppola still produced some of the most impactful movies of all time; him being a creep (or not?) would be something that would send shockwaves to an industry he contributed so much to

I get that, but at the same time, kind of amusing just how irrelevant the quality of the movie itself has been to the discussion around it for the most part. They sure had to surrender the asking price for a major theatrical release it seems.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I get that, but at the same time, kind of amusing just how irrelevant the quality of the movie itself has been to the discussion around it for the most part. They sure had to surrender the asking price for a major theatrical release it seems.

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Assuming we don’t hear any extras come forward about being harassed or uncomfortable on set, then I don’t think it would be unreasonable to assume that certain bigwigs in Hollywood are trying to paint a particular narrative because they’re mad that Coppola made a movie outside the studio system. The trades were doing the same thing with American Horizon. 

To be clear though, I don’t think Coppola is some kind of saint. What he did to Victor Salva’s victim was pretty scummy, but I don’t see the trades bringing that up. 

Sorry, don;t buy conspiracy theories without solid proof.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2024 at 2:46 PM, dudalb said:

This is why I find the habit so many geeks have of making up their minds right away to be so stupid..and dangerous.

Too soon to make anykind of judgement.

Edited by YM!

Well at least they finally called someone to talk about it after the last person involved trashed them.

Still insane that 2 majors trades are fighting over such serious subject. There should been some investigation over this not made by the media.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

"Lauren Pagone, an extra on the set of Francis Ford Coppola’s “Megalopolis” describes the “shock” she felt after the director kissed her during the filming of a scene: “I was in shock. I didn’t expect him to kiss and hug me like that. I was caught off guard. And I can tell you he came around a couple times.”

Francis Ford Coppola, he is screwed. He just lost all his LA privileges. I still wonder why the media hasn't roasted his ass yet. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think it’s funny how Coppola being a fucking creep gets somehow sidelined to trade criticism, but hey.

Save your sanctimony. Coppola being a creep is not really news anymore, everyone has already made their mind up about that either way. Right now it really is mostly just about Penske exploiting this story for all its dramatic worth.

This isn't a publication war. This is Coppola being outed as a creep. The only reason this is being treated like a publication war is to try and discredit the story so Coppola doesn't get cancelled.

EDIT:

Right now it really is mostly just about Penske exploiting this story for all its dramatic worth.

Two articles is not "exploiting this story for all its dramatic worth." Holy crap.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This isn't a publication war. This is Coppola being outed as a creep. The only reason this is being treated like a publication war is to try and discredit the story so Coppola doesn't get cancelled.

Absolutely anything other than this is deflection.

• Like 2

He's been cancelled as much as he's realistically going to be. Frankly bumping this thread with the story is just continuing to give more publicity to his film. Hopefully he faces appropriate justice but if you really want him to suffer for it then stop giving his movie free promotion.

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

He's been cancelled as much as he's realistically going to be. Frankly bumping this thread with the story is just continuing to give more publicity to his film. Hopefully he faces appropriate justice but if you really want him to suffer for it then stop giving his movie free promotion.

Well, he shouldn't be kissing extras in various stages of undress for his own pleasure. But yes, lets just sweep this "free promotion" (what the actual hell!?!) under the rug.

• Haha 1

Well, he shouldn't be kissing extras in various stages of undress for his own pleasure. But yes, lets just sweep this "free promotion" (what the actual hell!?!) under the rug.

"No such thing as bad publicity" is a truism for a reason, especially if everyone is already so numb to this back and forth by the time the movie comes out that it loses its capacity to outrage.

Yes, he should not kiss extras for his pleasure, but what are any of us supposed to say about it at this point? Are you expecting Lionsgate to pull the release? They didn't pick it up until the allegations had already been public.