Eric is Quiet

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

40 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Ferrari, The Last Duel, Annette (Carax isn't that old but it was another movie Driver helped get made) all good. And fingers crossed for Heat 2. If I were him I'd jump at the chance to hang around the old-timers while I still could, too. 

I mean, it usually fascinating. Yeah Annette too. I'd forgotten Heat 2.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would be really surprised if it gets 80+% RT even if it's good. There are so many things working against it: manufactured Coppola controversy, a bunch of controversial actors like Labeouf, Voight and Hoffman, and clearly not accessible movie to the wide audience. I can easily see a bunch of critics with strong enough bias against people involved trying to nuke it, situations like this already happened before. But fingers crossed it's somehow well received and gets some award, enough to find decent US distributor.

Edited by Firepower

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

According to a contact there were some booes at one of the screenings.

boos are better than shrugs, I guess 

There are 2 letterboxd reviews that could be legit or not. One french review is 2/5, complains about FX, script and dialogues, but praises actors, mentions booes on screening. The other one is 4.5/5, claims it's a masterpiece, compares to Showgirls, The Fountain and Tree of Life.

18 hours ago, AniNate said:

Less than 24 hours till we find out if cinema has in fact been saved

If it’s bad it’s good, if it’s good it’s good. It’s a win-win situation.

• Like 1

Heard something about it that is absolutely insane, really curious if the trades will keep themselves from spoiling it the second the embargo drops.

I remember when Dracula had mixed reviews back in 92. That’s now regarded as a classic. 

Reviews won’t move the needle in any way for me as I couldn’t be more excited to see it as it is.  We’re just lucky we get to see one more epic from a genuine legend 

• Like 2