The Wild Eric

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Speaking of 1900

1900 | Rotten Tomatoes

Sounds like this is essentially gonna meet the same fate

I guess critics have something against number 1900, like that very silly movie The Number 23 where Jim Carrey went nuts because of number.

Edited by Firepower

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Firepower said:

pooDcqC.png

Probably one of the dumbest RT and Metacritic critics scores out there, the movie is not even divisive.

Makes perfect sense. This movie is so trite and derivative so why a critic should tell you It's good or more something than that?.

A critic opinion about a movie like this can be: trite and derivative but can be emotional for the audience. 5/10.

For a part of the audience it's a good story and an emotional movie and they were searching for this maybe so they liked It.

I don't see anything wrong. Actually when all the critics were critics and not people writing pieces where they try to tell if a movie "can be liked or Its well done for Its target or to predict if the Academy will love It".

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

Posted (edited)

Critic reviews are frozen in time, audience reviews are flexible and biased towards those who voluntarily budgeted time and likely money to watch it, and critically drubbed failures by auteurs still carry an innate retrospective interest because of their place in their filmographies. They help shape the "narrative" even if they aren't deemed a high point of it.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Makes perfect sense. This movie is so trite and derivative so why a critic should tell you It's good or more something than that?.

A critic opinion about a movie like this can be: trite and derivative but can be emotional for the audience. 5/10.

For a part of the audience it's a good story and an emotional movie and they were searching for this maybe so they liked It.

I don't see anything wrong. Actually when all the critics were critics and not people writing pieces where they try to tell if a movie "can be liked or Its well done for Its target or to predict if the Academy will love It".

Nonsense, it's a great movie and very well made outside of a couple of crappy FX shots, there's nothing trite or derivative about it, they praised much worse movies across the board than this. They didn't like it because they often don't like sentimentality, they think when movie makes you feel something is weakness, for the same reason critics reviews of The Green Mile are a lot less glowing than audience reviews.

Edited by Firepower

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I WAS THERE WHEN #they TOLD ME THIS WAS A NEW LEVEL OF CINEMA

giphy.gif

Remove Scorsese's name and we'd speak even less about The Irishman than we do now.

Honestly, the fact that this film (and, hot take, Killers as well) got double digit Oscar nominations and preemptive praise while better films struggle to get any nominations or any recognition at all really shows how powerful a name can be. And yet people still treat these directors as underdogs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What's all this 1900 talk? I've never even heard of it. Sounds like I should check it out.

Didn't watch Bertolucci's one, but you should try Tornatore's one. Great perfomances, likable characters, emotional story, great cinematography, production design and sets, terrific score from maestro Morricone, what's not to like. Bertolucci's one is supposedly good too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Honestly, the fact that this film (and, hot take, Killers as well) got double digit Oscar nominations and preemptive praise while better films struggle to get any nominations or any recognition at all really shows how powerful a name can be. And yet people still treat these directors as underdogs.

If it makes you feel any better I doubt this movie gets much awards attention now.

But yes, the reality is names and reputation matter in the industry, especially when it comes to upcoming original movies the general public hasn't seen yet. A movie being "good" isn't really enough on its own to make for compelling conversation since everyone wants to avoid spoilers. It's why no one has had anything to say in that Guinea Fowl movie thread I started yet.

Coppola may not be an "underdog" in the strictest sense of the word but he put a ton of skin in the game to get this made, and I do think that is worthy of a certain admiration, however misplaced that ambition might've been.

Edited by AniNate

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I hope some of thepeople are happy when we have no options at theaters but Horror movies, Comediesand Action/CGI driven genre films.

What's this have to do with Coppola making a film that's potentially divisive/bad? Comment would make more sense of it was an overwhelmingly praised film. Movies like this rarely find a large audience even when theaters were healthy? As in, this likely would've done poor business in 2004 too.

• Like 6

its first masterpiece-y review (apart from maybe deadline's) comes from ign; could have funny implications

Posted (edited)

this feels like an early December release to me; you guys think Coppola is going to keep working on it till then?

ps

might as well ask it here; does anyone know what Metacritic's and rotten tomatoes's policies are for when a movie significantly changes between its festival premiere and its release? I dont really expect it to happen for this movie, I'm just curious 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator