Eric the Marxist

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

Oh, I absolutely agree, but you do market a serious film like Megalopolis different then you would a CBM movie. They do need a trailer.

Who is in charge of marketing; Coppola;s company or Lionsgate.

If it is Lionsgate they are in trouble, given how crappy it;s marketing for it last few movies had been.

Apparently, Megalopolis it´s Shakesperian and very  serious and moving in some segments... and a satirical farce in others, with black humor. That´s part of the problem, it seems, marketing wise. The tone changes within the film. It´s crazy, wild, takes big swings and does not care very much for it being a product made in 2024, if you know what I mean (don´t expect political correctness with this one). It also seems that the screenplay is pretty much the version that was written in 1982, except for the things that have been cut/trimmed (that particular draft is ridiculously long, but an amazing read).

For good or bad, Coppola made the film that he wanted to make. No compromises. 

Lionsgate is in charge of doing the marketing but Coppola is paying for it, it seems. 

Edited by Film Score Fan

" A Fable" what the hell does that mean anyway?

As huge a admirer of Coppolla as I am,,and I considere him one of the great directors of the last half of the 20th Century, I am lowering my expectations for this one.

Onw odd thing, Politically Coppola is on the opposite side from Ayn Rand, but the Driver charecter seems to have more then a little Howard Roark in 'The Fountianhead" in it.

I hope, though, Coppola does not go for a simplistic 

Heroic  Artist Vs The World" storyline. Ihope he deal with how destructive a obbssesd person can be; the charecter wants to build his city, and does not care about who he destroys in the process.

Just now, AJG said:

It’s gonna be “meh” and we’ll move on from it in a week.

I would put it a bit differently, but it being a very mixed bad is a real possiblity.

But You seem not to like Coppola very much. With all his misfires, the man has still made some great, great, films.