Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

LEE DANIEL'S THE BUTLER8:15PM. Friday 16 AugustCinema in universal parkCrowd: about 65%TrailersCloudy 2 (one with interviews in first look section)The wolf of Wall StreetSaving mr banksPrisonersCaptain PhilipsTwelve years as a slaveAugust: Osage country

Film: Pacific RimTime: 20:45Crowd: 30%Cinema: Arclight, HollywoodTrailers:The worlds end - some laughsRiddick - nothingThe seventh son - nothingThe film:I went to the arclight as id heard good things about the cinema and I wanted to check it out whilst in L.A. I thought the cinema was one of the better id ever been to, the attendant and the lack of ads were a nice touch. I was trying to keep myself awake after a long day but from what I saw the film was unbelievably corny and in all honesty, mindless junk. The acting and script were terrible with there being way too many ott characters. The effects were impressive and ill give it another shot on blu ray but it was a disappointment from GDT.5/10

• Like 1

Elysium

August 17, 7:25 PM, 20% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

Bad Grandpa - tons of laughs

Captain Phillips - whispers.

Thor: The Dark World - silence.

The Monuments Men - no reaction

Movie was pretty good, if a bit preachy. There were a lot of "ews," in one scene, and for some reason someone laughed at the end. One person applauded at the end.

Now You See Me

August 18, 3:45PM session

Reading Cinemas Dandenong 

Crowd: Around 10 people including my own group 

Trailers

Gravity

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

R.I.P.D

This movie came out around the world months ago and is being released on DVD in two weeks, but Australia only just got it this month. Started off really fun and creative, then it started going downhill on the second half. I cared more about the magicians but we didn't see much of them. A lot of plot holes, though maybe that was intentional. Mark Rufflo being the mastermind was unexpected but at the same time, unrealistic. Still a fun movie.

Grade: B-

The movie has come out 2 and a half months ago. It is fine to use spoilers. The rule is 4 weeks after the movie is released DOM (2 weeks if it is in the respective's movie thread).

The movie has come out 2 and a half months ago. It is fine to use spoilers. The rule is 4 weeks after the movie is released DOM (2 weeks if it is in the respective's movie thread).

But my free time was non existent when it was shown in the UK :'(. Still, if it's a big plot twist a bit of warning would be nice, even if it's a month after the dom release, just in case. Edited by Schumacher FTW

i haven't seen the movie either but since i have no idea what he's talking about its ok i probably wont remember by the time i get around to seeing it once dvd is out 

MEGAPLEX 7 CARIBBEAN CINEMAS

ELYSIUM 4.25PM crowd ehh 5% it was afternoon on a sunday sooo from what i saw coming out after percy jackson 3D had a bigger crowd (kids pfff)

trailers : sure i missed one but here are the other two

grandmaster  (have no idea what that was)

paranoia (now you guys have been saying this film is bad in the weekend thread  and per box      office it is flopping ? but the trailer looks good so is this a case of the trailer being better than the    movie?) 

as for the movie it was ok , i didnt buy matt damon terrible spanish accent  esp if he lived there his whole life and had a spanish nun

(edit: wait a minute isnt his wife latina? even worse pfff)

apart from that the movie kinda fizzled near the end , i feared the end and i was right , i wish it had been more realistic instead of the cute ending which i did not get but i'll go into details 

one thing i can say here though i'd make a better dictator or leader in such a world , have they learned nothing rule n1 keep the populace content and peaceful amidst their real miscontent

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1

Film: Lee Daniel's The ButlerTime: 16:00Crowd: 30%Cinema: Amc Universal City Walk, HollywoodTrailers:Closed Circuit - n/rThe Family - laughs12 years a slave - n/rThe best man holiday - big laughsThe Film:As someone who found films like The help and The Blind Side to be overly schmaltzy, The Butler was a pleasant surprise as I felt ot exceeded both of those films in terms of quality. The ensemble cast are collectively good but in all honesty no area of the film stands out to me as a potential award winner. Whitaker and Oprah may get nominated, but it would have to be due to weak competition. The film lacked the hard hitting emotion or very strong acting performances that one of Daniels previous films, Precious, had. The story kept me entertained and it is a surprisingly funny film. On another note, Americans are LOUD in theatres. Phones going off, people shouting at the screen, a much less comfortable experience than at the arclight. The audience clapped at the end, in England we don't applaud a screen so I have no idea if this is an indication of good WOM or not.7/10P.s managed to post that without any spoilers too.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

In an effort to broaden my audience, I decided to create a Facebook Page for all of my crowd reports. I'd be delighted if you and any friends of yours would "Like" the page, and I'd be especially excited if any of you would be interested in authoring/contributing crowd reports to the page as well. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/thecrowdreport

I will continue sharing my reports both on Facebook & Box Office Forums as I've been doing for the last few years. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-AndyStitzer

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

In an effort to broaden my audience, I decided to create a Facebook Page for all of my crowd reports. I'd be delighted if you and any friends of yours would "Like" the page, and I'd be especially excited if any of you would be interested in authoring/contributing crowd reports to the page as well. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/thecrowdreport

I will continue sharing my reports both on Facebook & Box Office Forums as I've been doing for the last few years. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-AndyStitzer

Already gave you my like :D

Posted Image

Blue Jasmine

7:10PM Monday, August 19th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 215 (20% full; everyone was spaced out enough that the room felt more full than it actually was)

Ticket Price: $12.50

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Inside Llewyn Davis - A COEN BROTHER FILM! Need I say more? Very intriguing trailer; good reaction from audience.

Captain Phillips - this looks more and more suspenseful with every new trailer, but I worry it's revealing too many details also; got some talking from the audience.

Out of the Furnace - What a cast?! Christian Bale, Zoe Saldana, Casey Affleck, and Woody Harrelson all look intense in this; got some positive whispers from the audience.

Last Vegas - will become known as The Hangover IV: Old Stars Go to Vegas. It looks very funny and got the best reaction from the crowd.

Enough Said - the trailer is very funny and also has a talented cast, but most of the audience comments were "this'll be sad because it's James Gandolfini's last movie... we have to see it."

Austenland - a very interesting premise for a film--I'll be going to it just to watch Jennifer "Stifler's Mom" Coolidge! There were some laughs and talking from the crowd.

THE FILM:

Woody Allen is the man! What a movie?! Blue Jasmine is a sharp, fast-paced, witty, and romantic dark-comedy set in one of the most beautiful American cities, San Francisco. The story chronicles the downward spiral of a Manhattan socialite forced to move across the country and live with her estranged sister after the government seized all of their belongings due to an apparent Ponzi scheme led by her late husband. The film cleverly reveals layers of Jasmine's past life by intertwining them with her public, neurotic episodes in the present, a device that works to masterful comic effect.

Cate Blanchett is flawless as the title character in this film, and will definitely be a contender for best actress attention come awards season. Her theatrical leaps from paranoia to euphoria to fear and especially to depression are made all-the-more impressive as she demonstrates all of these emotions within long, single shot scenes. Sally Hawkins, Bobby Cannavale, and Alec Baldwin are also especially memorable for their performances in this film as well. Really, the acting was pure perfection in Blue Jasmine. Even Andrew Dice Clay was great! (who knew?)

The funny thing to me about Blue Jasmine is how, more than any other movie, it reminded me of Memento. The genres and the characters couldn't be any more different from each other, but the storytelling device that Allen uses to reveal more and more about our central character--a mentally ill person who has lost nearly everything--ends up playing off very similarly to Nolan's own method for telling Leonard's story in Memento. It is very refreshing to have watched a slightly "advanced" mechanism like that be used in a comedy film like this as it worked wonderfully. Strangely, some of the audience seemed divided on the picture. It sounded like everyone enjoyed it, but I heard at least a couple different people say to their friends/spouses "I think I only laughed about half as much as you did." Nevertheless, Blue Jasmine was great to watch in theaters and works especially well if you're a fan of Woody Allen's other work.

Experience - 29/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 13/15 (*there was at least one shot in the movie that was out of focus, thus making me lose focus for a moment also)

Directing - 10/10 (way to go, Woody!)

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 96/100, A+

• Like 1