Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

I don't know why you guys feel lucky when there are no trailers. I actually look forward to seeing movie trailers being played before movies, and enjoy them. It's not as if they stay for like an hour, maybe 10-15 minutes but it's still kind of fun to watch them. I'm surprised to learn that sometimes they put zero trailers (it never happened to me) but even more surprised that many people are happy about it. I personally enjoy watching them on the big screen, and putting them definitely helps the box office situation as they promote for people to watch more movies.

Edited by wboxoffice
  • Like 1

The Dark Knight Rises

Saturday, 6:45 PM in Lie-MAX

Theater was 90% full, sold out

Trailers (no reaction to any)

Skyfall

Resident Evil: Retribution

Oz: The Great and Powerful

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Man of Steel

The film itself was just plain incredible. Fantastic screenplay, great action scenes, a killer score by Hans Zimmer, a pretty intense third act and wonderful performances from everyone. There were a few minor flaws, but that's all I'll say. It certainly delivered. Everyone in the audience applauded at the end, and on one of the final shots in the film (you probably know which), a lot of people yelled "YEAH!"

A-

Saw The Dark Knight Rises earlier today. Crappy trailers (Total Recall, The Watch and some cheap looking dinosaur film) and the audience was almost completely unresponsive, with the exception of one scene. Great movie though.

Posted Image

The Dark Knight Rises in Tempur-Pedic IMAX 15/70 (SPOILER FREE)

8:45pm Friday, July 20th

Tempur Pedic IMAX Theater at Jordan's Furniture Reading (*as I've said time and again the greatest place to experience a film)

Theater Capacity: 500 (100% full; the theater sold out every single showtime through the next 3 days)

Ticket Price: $12.75

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS: N/A

FOREWORD:

Before formally reporting on the experience I had tonight watching The Dark Knight Rises, I feel compelled to share my thoughts and feelings about the catastrophe that has affected movie-goers during TDKR's midnight premiere in Aurora, Colorado. Like many people, I'm a big fan of going to the movies. Whether a time to celebrate, reflect, learn, laugh, think, or fall in love, movies have offered an escape, simultaneously creating a sanctuary for people of every race, sex, age, or nationality, likely all under the same roof. In a statement released tonight by Christopher Nolan, I believe he eloquently captures exactly how I feel:

I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

-Christopher Nolan - July 20, 2012

Simply put, I've always believed the cinema was a magical place insulated from all the harsh realities of the world, but yesterday that belief was shattered and a little piece of me died inside. My fingers, soaked from the tears I've wiped away, can neither type nor convey the immense sadness I feel over the tragedy that's stricken our world community. I remain hopeful that people will demonstrate resilience to this horrible event, even if right now I privately shudder at the realization that this could've happened to anyone.

THE FILM:

To say I've been anticipating The Dark Knight Rises for a while is an understatement. Anyone who has checked my facebook statuses periodically since--well--pretty much Inception knows that I've been counting down the months, days, and minutes for this film's release. After delivering one of the greatest sequels of all time with The Dark Knight, there was no question that with Christopher Nolan at the helm The Dark Knight Rises was going to be an excellent movie. How excellent that film is, however, remained the question.

Performance-wise, everyone delivers their A-game. Christian Bale, hot off his long-overdue Oscar win for The Fighter, gives his best performance of the Dark Knight trilogy. Michael Caine, who's never given enough screen time in these films by my estimation, really ties Bruce Wayne's story together arcing across all the films, and arguably gives the most emotionally resonant performance in the film. Although Heath Ledger's "Joker" is an impossible act to follow, I think Tom Hardy's "Bane" and the story surrounding him reveals the epic scope that trailers promised us when promoting this film. Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Marion Cotrillard, and Matthew Modine are great supporting cast members (among others), but the real shining stars (even if only supporting ones) are Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

I've described past IMAX features as "beautiful" when describing how they appear on a proper IMAX screen; however, it's hard to assign that adjective to a film that features so much darkness, grit, and terror. I will say that The Dark Knight Rises is one of the most vivid, immersive experiences I've ever had at a movie theater. There is an aerial flyover shot captured by an IMAX camera that I bobbed up and down in excitement over for how epic it was (*NOTE: I am a HUGE nerd for skyscrapers and skylines... Nolan just gets me).

There are only two points of negativity I can think of right now regarding the film. First, the score. While there was some chanting and original music used in this, I believe that overall Hans Zimmer recycled music from the previous Batman films he worked on. This doesn't mean the music is bad--I <3 the other soundtracks--but you expect more from a capable, celebrated film composer like Zimmer. The second point of negativity is a personally uncomfortable one: the terror The Dark Knight Rises presents. During a special features video I watched on The Dark Knight, filmmakers who worked behind the scenes on the stories for all these films explained the psychology of their films and their intention of tapping into the very real fears of movie goers. Had I neither become cognizant of this intention nor had I waited until after the midnight screening opportunities to watch The Dark Knight Rises, I believe I would've had a much more enjoyable first impression of this movie. As it was with this very palpable sense of terror looming over the film like a storm cloud, witnessing some of the action scenes in this movie actually diminished the crowd experience for me... an unprecedented event in my years of going to the movies.

So aside from the couple things I've nitpicked, The Dark Knight Rises was mostly the movie I'd hoped it would be. The brothers Nolan crafted a very clever script... incidentally, their funniest since Memento. The overall crowd reception seemed very warm with others and myself clapping multiple times throughout (yeah... I'm that guy, sorry). Seriously, there's no experience at the movies like that of a Christopher Nolan-directed picture with this slam dunk cast, visual perfection (kudos Wally), smart writing, and twists or turns aplenty. If you've watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, you owe it to yourself to finish the story and watch The Dark Knight Rises.

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Direction - 10/10

Music - 5/10

Bonuses - Award Caliber, +5 (sweep the tech categories, long overdue recognition for Nolan, and wouldn't be surprised by noms for Caine or Hathaway... or possibly Bale); Special Effects Caliber, +2

THE VERDICT: 93/100, A

I watched TDKR a second time tonight, this time in AMC Lie-MAX. 654-seat auditorium, probably 80% full... 12:00AM showing, technically Monday morning, and this was the first non-sold out showing all weekend for the AMC Boston Common on their Lie-MAX screen. Honestly, 80% at this hour is pretty impressive if you ask me.

The movie was so much better on a second viewing, mainly because I didn't have the Aurora shooting in the back of my mind. While I got the main gist of the story the first time, I think a second viewing was great to pay attention to the details. Everything from the characters' choice of words, expressions, and the sequence of events falls into even better shape. I know my biggest complaint about the film on my original crowd report was about Hans Zimmer's score, but it's actually been growing on me the last few days.

Had I either seen TDKR at midnight on Friday or just waited a few days after the shooting to see it, I'm confident I would've given this film an A+ crowd report. With that said, I won't be adjusting anything; I'll only be saying that I enjoy watching this film.

• Like 1

I watched TDKR a second time tonight, this time in AMC Lie-MAX. 654-seat auditorium, probably 80% full... 12:00AM showing, technically Monday morning, and this was the first non-sold out showing all weekend for the AMC Boston Common on their Lie-MAX screen. Honestly, 80% at this hour is pretty impressive if you ask me.

The movie was so much better on a second viewing, mainly because I didn't have the Aurora shooting in the back of my mind. While I got the main gist of the story the first time, I think a second viewing was great to pay attention to the details. Everything from the characters' choice of words, expressions, and the sequence of events falls into even better shape. I know my biggest complaint about the film on my original crowd report was about Hans Zimmer's score, but it's actually been growing on me the last few days.

Had I either seen TDKR at midnight on Friday or just waited a few days after the shooting to see it, I'm confident I would've given this film an A+ crowd report. With that said, I won't be adjusting anything; I'll only be saying that I enjoy watching this film.

My only problem with the score was it seemed to be louder than the dialogue in some scenes. I'm not sure if that was the fault of the IMAX theater I went to, or if the sound mixing for the film just wasn't very good.

I'd say sound mixing just wasn't very good. Nolan's skill--heck, maybe a trademark--is his choice to have loud music and sound playing during the more dialogue-driven scenes, the more dramatic scenes. But when you've got the rising action or climax, there's either little or no music. Think of the first time in TDK the Joker shares how he got his scars... probably the most suspenseful escalation of a score in the whole movie. However, when Harvey and Rachel meet their fates with the exploding oil drums, you can nearly hear a pin drop in the theater.

He does the exact same thing in TDKR, but it doesn't always work. And then there's the whole "Bane's Loud Speaker" thing. It sounds less like the dialogue is coming out of his mouth and more like Christoph Waltz shouting into a megaphone off-screen.

Horrible sound mixing. I mean, that sounded much better during the prologue pre-screening in December before they revisited Bane's scenes. But what's done is done.

I'd say sound mixing just wasn't very good. Nolan's skill--heck, maybe a trademark--is his choice to have loud music and sound playing during the more dialogue-driven scenes, the more dramatic scenes. But when you've got the rising action or climax, there's either little or no music. Think of the first time in TDK the Joker shares how he got his scars... probably the most suspenseful escalation of a score in the whole movie. However, when Harvey and Rachel meet their fates with the exploding oil drums, you can nearly hear a pin drop in the theater.

He does the exact same thing in TDKR, but it doesn't always work. And then there's the whole "Bane's Loud Speaker" thing. It sounds less like the dialogue is coming out of his mouth and more like Christoph Waltz shouting into a megaphone off-screen.

Horrible sound mixing. I mean, that sounded much better during the prologue pre-screening in December before they revisited Bane's scenes. But what's done is done.

Except the sound in the first two films was perfect in my opinion. I have to see it a second time to judge.

The Dark Knight Rises

July 23, 10:40 AM, 30% full

Regal Oviedo Mall Stadium 22, Oviedo, FL

Trailers No reactions at all except for last one

The Watch

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Argo

Total Recall

The Bourne Legacy

The Campaign

Man of Steel - one guy kept on whispering "Superman?"

Epic. Perfect conclusion for the trilogy and a great film overall.

A+

Edited by Blankments

Bane's voice is both hilarious AND awesome. He's basically a Bond villain. I think certain sound issues may come down to Nolan preferring not to ADR, and also not caring if the audience has to strain to hear. I thought it was harder to make out dialogue in INCEPTION than here, but it's hard to make an absolute judgement because there's no objective viewing experience.