Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

SkyfallCinemais - Brazil90% FullThe movie was just espectacular, when finished I was just: WOWwww. The Soundtrack is beyond epic, The visuals are INCREDIBLE (The shangai scene is just ( :mouthdropped: ), the special effect are good (this have the same budget as CR, and CR was 6 years ago), ALL acting is just superb, the mende's direction is oscar worthy, the script is just very good also. The only flaw here is the climax, a bit meh. There are two AWESOME scenes, the action sequence in the begining and the metro/trial scene (just breathtaking).Until the second act: The best movie of the yearWhen finished: "only" the best bond movieand ooh, Skyfall is all about

Old vs New

A 9.510The year:1 - TDKR A+2 - Skyfall A3 - Brave A-4 - Looper B+5. John Carter B+Bond movies:1. Skyfall A2. QOS B+3. CR B

Love your reports Andy, do you have a compilation of your top movies of the year?

Thank you. I post these on my facebook as well and usually do my own little award page at the end of each year for the films I've seen and semi-obscure qualities about the experience seeing them. Here's the awards I prepared for 2011 films:

Most Memorable Midnight Screening - Comedy

Scre4m

Most Memorable Midnight Screening – Drama

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part II 3D RPX

Most Memorable Midnight Screening – Animated

n/a

Most Disappointing Midnight Screening

Sanctum IMAX 3D

Longest Line At The Theater

Movie the Most People Walked Out On – Comedy

Bucky Larson – Born To Be A Star

Movie the Most People Walked Out On – Drama

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Longest Standing Ovation At the Theater

Most Positive Reaction At The End of the Movie

Horrible Bosses

Biggest Surprise Success – Comedy

Bridesmaids

Biggest Surprise Success – Drama

Anonymous

Biggest Surprise Success – Superhero/Comic Book

X-Men: First Class

Biggest Surprise Success – Animated

Puss In Boots – IMAX 3D

Biggest Divide Amongst Audiences’ Reaction

Drive

Most Diverse Audience – Comedy

The Artist

Most Diverse Audience – Drama

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Breakthrough Performance for an Actress

Elizabeth Olsen, Martha Marcy May Marlene

Breakthrough Performance for an Actor

Michael Fassbender, X-Men: First Class, Shame

Breakthrough Performance for an Actress in a Supporting Role

Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids

Breakthrough Performance for an Actor in a Supporting Role

Oggy the dog, The Artist

Best Cinematography

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol

Best Visual Effects

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Best Soundtrack

Drive

Biggest Tear Jerker

The Help

Best Science Fiction Film

Super 8

Best Superhero Film

X-Men: First Class

Best Family Film

Puss in Boots – 3D

Most Bland Tent Pole Film

Cowboys & Aliens

Loudest Laugh At The Theater

TIE:

Hall Pass

Crazy Stupid Love

30 Minutes or Less

Most Suspenseful Film

Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol IMAX

Biggest "WTF?!" Film

The Tree of Life

Best Ensemble Cast – Comedy

TIE:

Bridesmaids

Crazy Stupid Love

Best Ensemble Cast – Drama

The Help

Best Ensemble Voice Cast

Puss in Boots

Best Original Screenplay

Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris

Best Adapted Screenplay

Aaron Sorkin, Moneyball

Most Underrated Performance by an Actress

Elle Fanning, Somewhere, Super 8, and We Bought a Zoo

Most Underrated Performance by an Actor

TIE:

Paul Rudd, Our Idiot Brother

Tom Hardy, Warrior, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Shailene Woodley, The Descendants

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Rob Brydon, The Trip

Best Actress in a Lead Role

TIE:

Viola Davis, The Help

Rooney Mara, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Best Actor in a Lead Role

TIE:

Brad Pitt, Moneyball

George Clooney, The Descendants

Best Director

David Fincher, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Most Fun At The Theater In 2011

TIE:

Scre4m

A Harold & Kumar Christmas – 3D RPX

Best Film To See Again And Again in Theaters

Super 8

Thank you for reading! Enjoy the movies!

• Like 5

Argo

October 28, 4:35 PM, 85% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - I arrived a little late, but I don't think I missed any trailers. No responses at all

The Lone Ranger

Gangster Squad

Alex Cross

Lincoln

Cloud Atlas

Very tense atmosphere, but the audience loved it, as did I. Lots of laughs at the various jokes, and some applause

when the plane took off.

Great movie, great crowd.

Cloud AtlasCheap Tuesday showing, $6.75 ticket200/300 people, quite a varied crowed of college aged kids up to seniorsTrailers:Gangster SquadHobbit Part 1Les Miserables1 more I don't rememberThe movie itself was very good in my opinion. Although I didn't quite understand everything that was going on, I was fully entertained the whole time and having a blast. The stories were very emotional and the movie felt like a 3 hour long emotional rollercoaster. The makeup was also very well done, except for Hugo Weaving trying to look Asian and the Korean girl trying to look white.8.5/10

Skyfall

11/1/12, 8:20 PM

Sold out in a 353 seater

Trailer:

Hotel Transylvania

Movie:

Movie is way too serious. It works great as a good action movie with several good performances including Craig. But it does not work that well as a Bond movie. The last half hour is good and the references to bond of old days towards the end is nice.

Will watch again to see if iI like the movie more now that I know the movie's deficiencies as a bond movie.

B

Two reports.Wreck-It Ralph1:30 pm20% full I guess, but keep in mind it was during school hours.Trailers:Monsters Inc 3DOz: The Great and PowerfulRise of the GuardiansDino Time 3DThe Hobbit: An Unexpected JourneyI really have no bones to pick with this movie. Better than most of Pixar's movies, to be quite honest, I'd say it was better than any of them. I know that is going to be a very unpopular opinion but it was entertaining and it had a very deep story. It sort of combined Toy Story 3, Despicable Me and Megamind, but it was way better than any of them. Honestly, other than maybe Toy Story 2 and The Incredibles, Wreck-It Ralph was the best animated film I've ever watched. Take my advice, and go check out Wreck-It Ralph(I saw it in 2D, so I don't know about the added dimension) because it is a film for all ages that should become a classic.A+Taken 24:10 pm40% fullTrailers:The Lone RangerBroken CitySkyfallKilling Them SoftlyDjango UnchainedMuch better than I expected. I thought it was better than the original, even though I thought the original was average. I suggest checking it out if you can. B+

• Like 1

Posted Image

The Sessions

4:30PM Saturday, November 3rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 215 people (about 35% full when the trailer ended, mainly young adults to much older-skewing adults and a woman crazy enough to take her two young daughters to see this movie).

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: regular ICEE drink, $5.50

TRAILERS:

Fathom Events Presents Pulp Fiction on December 6th- I HAVE TO SEE THIS IN THEATERS!!!

Silver Linings Playbook - it's a good new trailer with the same vibe as the main one they've been playing for months, but got no reaction from the audience.

Anna Karenina - got some whispers

The Impossible - such a moving trailer, the audience gave a good reaction with lots of talking after

Lincoln - good trailer, no reaction

Zero Dark Thirty - had some talking and a good reaction

Stoker - this was the first I'd heard of this Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska movie, but it looks amazing. AND it had a great reaction and lots of talking afterward.

Hitchcock - I love this trailer; it played really well with the older audience, too!

THE FILM:

In case you'd never heard of this, The Sessions is the true story about a man--Mark O'Brien--afflicted with the Polio virus who yearned to have a sexual relationship with someone despite his disability. The sessions the title alludes to are of Mark's experiences with a sex therapist and, perhaps, his retelling of these experiences to his local priest. I would assume anyone paying to see this R-rated movie would have gotten the gist of this story either by seeing a trailer for it or maybe reading a review about it online. So you can imagine my surprise when A) that mother walked into the theater with her two little girls that couldn't have been more than 6 years old, and B) the same mother, two girls, and an additional eight people walked out of the film within the first 10 minutes!

Honestly, there's nothing bad I can think to say about this film. John Hawkes' and Helen Hunt's acting is sensational. Despite the sexual nature of the story, I couldn't get over how wholesome and romantic this movie felt. Everyone on screen had amazing chemistry, and every star performed in a manner really easy to empathize with. The script was equally funny and dramatic (*something of a prerequisite for any picture Fox Searchlight decides to distribute), and the precision behind the camera at getting the audience to see the world as Mark sees it was well-executed.

The movie is never vulgar or offensive, a reality I believed is aided by the presence of a very religious central character. In a word, The Sessions is gripping. This is why I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around why eight out of eleven people walked out of the movie. Yes, it earns its R-rating, but purely for nudity or sensuality. There is nothing gratuitous or unnecessary present during The Sessions; the movie succeeds beautifully as a mature romance.

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15

Directing - 9/10

Music - 7/10

Bonus Points: Awards Caliber +3 (best actor John Hawkes, best actress Helen Hunt, screenplay)

THE VERDICT: 92/100, A

• Like 1

Posted Image

The Sessions

4:30PM Saturday, November 3rd

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 215 people (about 35% full when the trailer ended, mainly young adults to much older-skewing adults and a woman crazy enough to take her two young daughters to see this movie).

Ticket Price: $12.00

Concessions: regular ICEE drink, $5.50

TRAILERS:

Fathom Events Presents Pulp Fiction on December 6th- I HAVE TO SEE THIS IN THEATERS!!!

Silver Linings Playbook - it's a good new trailer with the same vibe as the main one they've been playing for months, but got no reaction from the audience.

Anna Karenina - got some whispers

The Impossible - such a moving trailer, the audience gave a good reaction with lots of talking after

Lincoln - good trailer, no reaction

Zero Dark Thirty - had some talking and a good reaction

Stoker - this was the first I'd heard of this Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasikowska movie, but it looks amazing. AND it had a great reaction and lots of talking afterward.

Hitchcock - I love this trailer; it played really well with the older audience, too!

THE FILM:

In case you'd never heard of this, The Sessions is the true story about a man--Mark O'Brien--afflicted with the Polio virus who yearned to have a sexual relationship with someone despite his disability. The sessions the title alludes to are of Mark's experiences with a sex therapist and, perhaps, his retelling of these experiences to his local priest. I would assume anyone paying to see this R-rated movie would have gotten the gist of this story either by seeing a trailer for it or maybe reading a review about it online. So you can imagine my surprise when A) that mother walked into the theater with her two little girls that couldn't have been more than 6 years old, and B) the same mother, two girls, and an additional eight people walked out of the film within the first 10 minutes!

Honestly, there's nothing bad I can think to say about this film. John Hawkes' and Helen Hunt's acting is sensational. Despite the sexual nature of the story, I couldn't get over how wholesome and romantic this movie felt. Everyone on screen had amazing chemistry, and every star performed in a manner really easy to empathize with. The script was equally funny and dramatic (*something of a prerequisite for any picture Fox Searchlight decides to distribute), and the precision behind the camera at getting the audience to see the world as Mark sees it was well-executed.

The movie is never vulgar or offensive, a reality I believed is aided by the presence of a very religious central character. In a word, The Sessions is gripping. This is why I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around why eight out of eleven people walked out of the movie. Yes, it earns its R-rating, but purely for nudity or sensuality. There is nothing gratuitous or unnecessary present during The Sessions; the movie succeeds beautifully as a mature romance.

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 14/15

Directing - 9/10

Music - 7/10

Bonus Points: Awards Caliber +3 (best actor John Hawkes, best actress Helen Hunt, screenplay)

THE VERDICT: 92/100, A

What happened to your original account?
  • Like 1

Wreck-It Ralph

November 4, 4:45 PM, 98% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers

The Smurfs 2 - Laughter at the end by the kids in the showing.

Despicable Me 2 - Lots of laughter throughout.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Not much response.

Monsters Inc. 3D - See Hobbit.

Movie was fantastic, and the crowd loved it. There was applause at the end, and the kids in the showing were quoting lines from the trailer during the movie, so kinda cute, kinda annoying. :P Great crowd overall.