Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

A report I just saw online for ID Theft: Okay, nothing special. The trailers were: some Jim Carrey/Steve Carrel film I never heard of, 21 or Over, Innapropriate Movie (Yes it really said that), Acceptence (?-not sure if this one is correct, he might of meant Admission), Oblvion and some movie with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.

A Good Day to Die Hard2/14/201318:40Hastings Odeon 4, UK40/190Trailers No reaction to anyGI Joe Retaliation, looks pretty damn coolRed 2, looks funFast and Furious 6, HELL YEAH! This trailer ended with the tank and roof jump scene, with no Plane sequence at all.Iron Man 3, coolMovieSo so stupid. So stupid. Entertaining though. Don't know what else to say really. Audience sucked.C
  • Like 1

A Good Day to Die Hard - IMAX

AMC Rockaway 16

2/14/13 11:00 A.M. Showing

249 Capacity/50% Full

Trailers:

The Internship - Some laughs, might see it.

The Heat (Red Band) - Some laughs, might see it.

Iron Man 3 - No reaction, it's Iron Man so I'll be seeing it.

Jurassic Park IMAX 3D Release - No reaction, don't really care about these re-releases.

Jack the Giant Killer - No reaction, probably won't see it.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation - No reaction, undecided on this one.

Movie:

This was a definite disappointment and didn't feel like much of a Die Hard film at all. This obviously should have been expected with a director like John Moore (Max Payne) at the helm, who had a script from a writer like Skip Woods (Hitman). The R-rating obviously allows John McClane's catch phrase to be said unedited, but it's very ineffective, and the overall use of f-bombs and blood is minimal for its rating. I'd go as far to say that his catch phrase was more effective in Live Free or Die Hard, even when it was edited down for a PG-13, because of the circumstance that it was said. The action is half entertaining and half dizzying due to a cameraman with epilepsy, made even more nauseating on the larger IMAX screen. And this is the third time he's been given a partner, which is something that strays from the formula of the first with McClane being the lone gunman against an army of terrorists. However, in Die Hards 3 and 4, the partners were written like tag-a-longs so that McClane could drive the action. Here, McClane is pushed to tag-a-long status because his son is another one-man army like McClane, and because of the age gap and the son's physique, he's made into a more effective version than McClane. You shouldn't bother with this one.

C-

• Like 1

I saw a 3pm showing today of GDtDH at the AMC 30 IMAX in Orange.  Like 12 people in the auditorium.

Although I hate that these LIEMAX screens are much smaller than the originals, the sound really is superb.  Just feeling the seats rumble to all the explosions is pretty awesome.

As for the movie itself...

I agree with a lot of what Jay Beezy said (esp the epileptic cameramen during the early car chase OMG), but I thought Bruce Willis' character had a little bit more depth than in LFoDH.  In LFoDH he was very one-dimensional (like, ok, let me go kick some ass and be done, thank you).

But yes, he was more of a tag-a-long in GDtDH in that he wasn't a major part of trying to figure out the bad guys' plots.

And speaking of the bad guys, they were very confusing at first.  Kinda cleared up later, but it was hard to feel a connection with them at first like all the other movies.  The bad guys were still very convincing, though; way better than Olyphant for sure.  Despite that, I was kinda irked that the female baddie on the motorcycle unzipped her jacket very little, whereas in the trailers, she unzipped a lot.  Bait and switch much?  :angry:

I don't think it deserves such a low 15% rating, but then again I can be pretty forgiving.  :D

• Like 1

Intresting I'm actually hearing people enjoying Die Hard 5 a bit and some decent crowd reports.Critics have been rather harsh on action films as of late (Unless if they are Bond or staring Tom Cruise) Seems like Willis is a easy target. (Van Damme is a hard target! Wonders how many will get this joke)

Intresting I'm actually hearing people enjoying Die Hard 5 a bit and some decent crowd reports.Critics have been rather harsh on action films as of late (Unless if they are Bond or staring Tom Cruise) Seems like Willis is a easy target. (Van Damme is a hard target! Wonders how many will get this joke)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/looper/

I beg your pardon?

• Like 1

"I used to fill out Crowd reports a lot but I just never had time or I seem to forget the trailers names" - MGK17

Sorry I've been out of commission the last month. To be honest, I'm just waiting for something really good to come out.

I have been to the theater since beginning of January. 

No I understand. I haven't been since January and I wont be able to go steadily until May because I'm in college and don't have my car, but I just figured this being a movie forum, we'd have more crowd reports. I just like reading these and everyone's reviews.

• Like 1

Safe Haven

February 17, 8:15 PM, 50% full (small theater)
Showplace 14, Michigan City, IN

I'm going to write this in a different way than usual, since it was a bizarre experience that I'll never forget.

Before yesterday, I was on great terms with this movie theater. I've seen two Best-Picture-winning movies there (The Artist and The King's Speech,) and one Best-Picture-nominee from this year (Zero Dark Thirty). However, that all changed yesterday.

So my friend, let's call her Mary, texts me at 6:57 PM last night, asking me if I want to see a movie. She wanted to go to the IMAX theater in Portage like we always do, but the films she wanted to see were either of no interest to me (Identity Thief and Beautiful Creatures) or not worth seeing in theaters thanks to tight cash (Side Effects). I texted her this back, and she replied that it was okay, she was just sad she had nothing to do. I looked up to see if we could make a showing of Silver Linings Playbook, a movie we had both already seen and loved. Unfortunately, there was no times at Portage, the local Cinemark, or the AMC theater, but I did see that there was a showing of Argo, a movie I have seen and liked whereas Mary hadn't seen it, at 7:50 at the AMC, that we could make if we left immediately.

So, we were off to see Argo. We arrived at the theater slightly late, at 8:03, but we figured the film was still in trailers since Michigan City notoriously has long trailers. We go up to the cashier to buy our tickets, but she asks if we are seventeen. We were confused, since we've never been carded before. We understood the policy but the IMAX theater and Cinemark don't enforce it all, and in the past, I've seen R-rated movies at the AMC before and they never carded me. We show that we're juniors via letterman jacket, since most juniors are at least seventeen at this point in the year. She tells us both to pull out our IDs, but since I don't have a learner's permit (or license for that matter), we asked if we could just use Mary's driving license for both of us. We had a very confusing discussion with the cashier where she seemed to be saying that we had to be eighteen to see an R-rated movie, when in actuality it's seventeen. It turned out if we bought separate tickets, then seventeen is the limit, but if we were buying together, then eighteen is the limit.

Anyway, so Mary went out to her car to grab her license while I just waited inside, looking at the clock, seeing it was now 8:06. Worrying now that Argo had actually begun, I was alarmed when Mary came back inside without her license. She told me that she couldn't find her license. We ran out to her car to search for the license, but after five minutes of searching, it proved impossible. We went back inside and the cashier said it was too bad, and there are some R-movies that shouldn't even be rated R. We were hoping she would cut some slack, since Argo is barely rated R, only accounting for the around forty instances of f-bombs.

But no, she didn't. She suggested we see Safe Haven at 8:15, a suggestion I predicted from her nametag, which proudly stated "My favorite movie is The Notebook!" I definitely wasn't interested and Mary wasn't either. The cashier then suggested we see Beautiful Creatures, which I was against, but Mary asked when it was. The cashier says the next showing is at 10:30. Let me reiterate, the cashier suggested we see a movie that would begin two and a half hours after we arrived. I couldn't believe the suggestion. We said no way, and the cashier gave a final suggestion, Escape from Planet Earth (8:10), an animated movie that looks too kiddish even for me. I'd like to point out here that there was also a Warm Bodies show at 8:20. I gave up, and let Mary pick. She decided that least of the three poisons was Safe Haven. That's right, I, a man who prides himself on not seeing a minute of the Twilight Saga, a man who only sees romantic comedies if they're over 85% on RottenTomatoes, was seeing a Nicholas Sparks movie. This was bad enough, but then, then, they charged us ten dollars. Ten. Dollars. For a Nicholas Sparks movie. I've never spent ten dollars on a movie before. If I'm seeing a movie in IMAX or 3D, I split the cost of the surcharge with my parents. For a movie I love, like Toy Story 3 or The Muppets, I only spend the typical seven dollars. I was spending ten dollars on a Nicholas Sparks movie.

Anyway, we go inside the theater, which is right next to Argo's theater. Did I want salt with my wound? So we sit down near the front of this incredibly small theater, which is weird for a first-run movie. The trailers start and more salt in the wound happens as the trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness, which has nothing to do with the target audience of Safe Haven. This is a movie I'd happily spend ten dollars on, but no, I was spending ten dollars on a freaking Nicholas Sparks movie. The trailers continue with Admission, Monsters University, The Heat, The Call, and The Host all of which look better than Safe Haven (although some of them I would never see).

So the movie starts and about ten minutes into it, I go, "Forget this, I'm not going to watch a Nicholas Sparks movie without popcorn and a drink. This visit will not be in total vain." I leave the theater to get a small combo. However, the small combo is apparently even smaller than the actual small size. My drink is the size of a Chihuahua and the popcorn barely fits in the palm of my hand. Worst of all, there's. No. Freaking. Free. Refills. And they charged me eight dollars! So, to recap, I spent a grand total of eighteen dollars on a NICHOLAS FREAKING SPARKS MOVIE. The movie ended up being better than I expected, but still not that good, and definitely not worth eighteen dollars. The experience overall was terrible, and I never want to repeat that again. Argo fuck yourself AMC, Argo fuck yourself.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1