cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

https://www.indiewire.com/news/business/hayao-miyazaki-the-boy-and-the-heron-studio-ghibli-gkids-marketing-challenge-interview-1234903795/

Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘The Boy and the Heron’ Is Studio Ghibli and GKIDS’ Biggest Marketing Challenge Yet

To that end, GKIDS is treating “The Boy and the Heron” as its biggest release in its 15-year history. Though Jesteadt doesn’t yet have specific numbers for its Dec. 8 opening, the plan is a nationwide release for “The Boy and the Heron” that should easily surpass the 1,300+ screens that last year’s “Belle” opened on, the widest release in its history that ultimately earned $4 million domestic

Studio Ghibli, with the exception of a request to change the film’s international title from the Japanese “How Do You Live?,” is largely letting GKIDS call the shots.

They’ll also have to sell the movie largely without Miyazaki himself. Jesteadt says it was “pretty clear” even years ahead of time that the 82-year-old Miyazaki was unlikely to be an “active participant” in the promotion of the film, though that could change.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, cannastop said:

That should happen too

That is something that I hope but I know it is almost impossible. A nomination outside of Animated feature is so rare (exception Best Song) for non-Pixar animation. Pixar animation often yield some nomination outside of Best Animated Feature like in Score (Soul, Up, Finding Nemo), Sound (Incredible, Wall-E), Screenplay (Toy story, Finding nemo, Inside out) but the record of a non-Pixar animation achieving the same is pretty rare.

Spiderverse was so locked for Oscar win in 2019 but still no nomination beyond the sole category. Last year, Pinocchio won Best Animation but still no nomination for widely expected Score.   

Many is predicting Boy and the Heron to prevail at the Best Picture race but I must say that is like a pipe dream to me. I don't see how a movie without wide support from different branches can survive to the BP race. Even Japanese they themselves are not "supporting" the movie. (Not submitting it as Japan's entry in Best International feature and meh BO performance)  

On 9/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, CoolioD1 said:

I actually think Miyazaki often has trouble landing the plane, meaning his third acts are often the weakest element. think i read that he doesn't outline his stories and just makes it up as they're going and it can bite him in the ass sometimes like he doesn't know how to wrap it up. Howl's is the worst for that imo. 

I used to think this as well, but to me that’s where the whole “needs multiple viewings” thing with him comes in. Spirited, Howl’s, and Mononoke are all cases where I thought the third act was a bit weak the first time, but later realized I just hadn’t picked up on how subtly and intricately everything is wrapped up. He tends to do it quickly, but that doesn’t mean he’s not doing it completely. 

Some of those also rely on understanding certain aspects of Japanese culture as well. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

https://www.indiewire.com/news/business/hayao-miyazaki-the-boy-and-the-heron-studio-ghibli-gkids-marketing-challenge-interview-1234903795/

Hayao Miyazaki’s ‘The Boy and the Heron’ Is Studio Ghibli and GKIDS’ Biggest Marketing Challenge Yet

The title change was the right move. I don’t care if HDYL is the “better” title (I’m sure it is tbh), it’s not marketable at all DOM at least. Too much risk for a condescending tone and off-putting vibe outside of the context of having seen the film yet.

Americans get very petty about feeling lectured/preached at lol. Not to mention it’s too esoteric as well before having seen the film. Who knows, maybe the title was also a huge driving factor for why Japanese audiences didn’t go for it (though I think it was the no marketing that hurt it the most). 

Additionally, “The Boy/Girl and the (insert noun)” is an extremely effectively simple name template to target kids, which are crucial to any animated film doing much at the box office DOM. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Kiki's Delivery Service, Whispers From The Heart, and Princess Kaguya are my absolute favorites from Ghibli, but Only Yesterday is a criminally underrated gem. Love that movie.

Oh shit I forgot I watched Only Yesterday too.

1. Spirited Away

2. My Neighbor Totoro

3. Princess Mononoke 

4. Kiki's Delivery Service

5. Whisper of the Heart

6. Castle in the Sky

7. Grave of the Fireflies

8. Only Yesterday.

9. Ponyo

10. Arietty

11. Nausicaa

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Additionally, “The Boy/Girl and the (insert noun)” is an extremely effectively simple name template to target kids, which are crucial to any animated film doing much at the box office DOM

I agree but it's not really gonna appeal to kids at all. Not that it's graphic or inappropriate but they'll be bored and confused most likely. It's much more for older audiences.

Since everyone else is posting rankings:

1. Porco Rosso
  2. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  3. Spirited Away
  4. Ponyo
  5. Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
  6. My Neighbor Totoro
  7. Princess Mononoke
  8. Kiki’s Delivery Service
  9. The Boy and the Heron
  10. The Wind Rises
  11. Castle in the Sky
  12. Howl’s Moving Castle

I love all of these except the last two, castles should NOT be moving!

I haven't seen any non Miyazaki Ghibli yet but I do plan to check some out soon!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I had just focused on Miyazaki's films, but there are several no Miyazaki's in Ghibli really outstanding.

I have not seen all of them yet, but the peak is probably Grave of fireflies, the most devastating film I have ever seen. The first time I saw it I was several days a bit depressed. I would show everyone to see what war means.

Beyond this masterpiece, I love Whisper of heart, Only yesterday and Arrietty.

I should see again Tales of Earthsea, but the first time I found it not as bad as I had read before.

Marnie is really good. Few films dare to deal with childhood depression, even more if we talk about an animated film.

Ocean waves is just fine. The only ones I have had problems with are Pom Poko and The cat returns. I will rewatch both of them to see if my opinion changes.

I still have to see My neighbors the Yamadas, From up on Poppy Hill, The tale of the princess Kaguya and Earwig and the witch.

• Like 2

Including Castle of Cagliostro, cause why not?

1. Princess Mononoke

2. Whisper of the Heart

3. Kiki's Delivery Service

4. The Castle of Cagliostro

5. My Neighbor Totoro

6. The Wind Rises

7. When Marnie Was There

8. Porco Rosso

9. Howl's Moving Castle

10. Grave of the Fireflies

11. Castle in the Sky

12. Spirited Away

13. The Cat Returns

14. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

15. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

16. The Secret World of Arrietty

17. Ponyo

18. My Neighbors the Yamadas

19. Only Yesterday

20. From Up on Poppy Hill

21. Pom Poko

22. Tales from Earthsea

23. Ocean Waves

24. Earwig and the Witch

• Astonished 1

1. The Wind Rises

2. Princess Mononoke (realistically tied for first)

3. Spirited Away

4. Totoro

5. Kiki's Delivery Service

6. Ponyo

7. Castle of Cagliostro

8. Howl's Moving Castle

9. Porco Rosso

10. Nausicaa

11. Castle in the Sky

Full Ghibli ranking:

Spoiler

1. The Wind Rises

2. Princess Mononoke

3. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

4. Only Yesterday

5. Whisper of the Heart

6. Spirited Away

7. Grave of the Fireflies

8. Totoro

9. Kiki's Delivery Service

10. Ponyo

11. When Marnie Was There

12. Howl's Moving Castle

13. Porco Rosso

14. Nausicaa

15. Pom Poko

16. Castle in the Sky

17. Tales from Earthsea

18. Arrietty

19. From Up on Poppy Hill

20. The Cat Returns

21. My Neighbors the Yamadas

22. Ocean Waves

23. Earwig and the Witch

Next stop is Sebastian Film festival next week and followed by NYFF (Is this been confirmed?) . I won't expect Sebastian to produce a lot of new review while NYFF is a key platform to observe how far it can go as Oscar contender. So far the review indicate this is the best Miyazaki film since SA.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Up to a 9.3 average with top critics, totally insane. Can it actually maintain it? It has probably about half of its total top critic reviews at this point, so it might. I just can’t see how this won’t generate major awards buzz with this kind of reception. It seems far more acclaimed in the west than the reception in Japan we were hearing. 

• Like 2