cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

On 7/11/2023 at 2:01 PM, MovieMan89 said:

RE: The Wind Rises - it was critically acclaimed and did way better commercially than an animated biopic had any right to do (i.e. not “mixed”) but it has never stood up to Miyazaki’s legacy compared to his other Ghibli efforts. I don’t know anyone who mentions or thinks of that film when Miyazaki is brought up. It lacks the sense of wonder, awe and amazement he became a legend for in the first place. It wasn’t a fitting send off to his catalog, and I fully believe he thought this too in hindsight and it was his main motivation for wanting to do one more film (along with creative inspo obviously, which I doubt he’s ever that short of). 

Thematically, it was the perfect culmination and send-off to his career, and it should be held as a major part of his legacy. I don't think he would have had any qualms leaving it there -- someone's final film doesn't need to be an attempt at recreating whatever they were most popular for. It's still fitting that he'd want to get one more (presumed) epic fantasy under his belt, but I think any of his three final films (Ponyo, The Wind Rises, and How Do You Live) would have been fitting ends.

"He made this because he thought The Wind Rises wasn't a good enough final film" is just insane headcanon bullshit. Easily ignorable unless you can pull a quote of the man himself saying that.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

"He made this because he thought The Wind Rises wasn't a good enough final film" is just insane headcanon bullshit. Easily ignorable unless you can pull a quote of the man himself saying that.

My headcanon is he was so disappointed his son made Earwig and the Witch he had to come back for one to more to show him how it's done

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

My headcanon is he was so disappointed his son made Earwig and the Witch he had to come back for one to more to show him how it's done

To flex on his fail son is definitely a more compelling and realistic narrative, yes.

14 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Rights are supposed to go either Sony/Disney

Then we again have "THE FIRST SLAM DUNK" released by GKIDS so kinda not aware at this point 

I really hope Sony/Crunchyroll get this movie for global distribution outside Asia. They usually do a good job at making anime films more widely available than other distributors, especially in Latin America.

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Not at all what I said. In fact, I said outright that TWR was not a “mixed” reception like some said. But it doesn’t line up with the rest of his filmography. Yes, some of his common themes, but not at all the “type” of movies he has always made. It doesn’t feel like a fitting end. It would be like if Nolan ended on a lighthearted romcom vs an epic drama. It would feel odd. You can’t convince me Miyazaki didn’t think this to some extent as well, but no I can’t give you proof. Although if this film is more in line with his epic fantasy stuff, I’d say that would already be a compelling point in favor of my argument. 

52 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

I really hope Sony/Crunchyroll get this movie for global distribution outside Asia. They usually do a good job at making anime films more widely available than other distributors, especially in Latin America.

Well, with Hollywood shut down the studiios need new product...

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

😎

Reception -

4.2 Filmarks

3.1 Yahoo (Trolling here)

Eiga &MW no score so far.

how do I interpret those numbers?

how good is a 4.2?

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

How often does any film score rise to the top of the charts so quickly, let alone one for a movie that has only been released in a foreign country for less than 12 hours? 

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

How often does any film score rise to the top of the charts so quickly, let alone one for a movie that has only been released in a foreign country for less than 12 hours? 

A Symphonic Celebration (Music from the Studio Ghibli Films of Hayao Miyazaki)」 - released on June 30.

Not Miyazaki's "How Do You Live?" Song. Will be available on August.