cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Japan 

+690% Monday (9th at Daily BO)

+1510% Tuesday (5th at Daily BO)

vs % LW

As of Sunday, Heron is at ¥8,977,134,000 / 6,041,829 admits! 

Global BO is at $199.2M 

12 hours ago, tarabeesley said:

Is 60 - 70 million possible with this re-release in the USA? Don't know how much it can make!

Need to know how big they are expanding 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Japan 

+690% Monday (9th at Daily BO)

+1510% Tuesday (5th at Daily BO)

vs % LW

As of Sunday, Heron is at ¥8,977,134,000 / 6,041,829 admits! 

Global BO is at $199.2M 

Need to know how big they are expanding 

Looks like in Japan the Oscar win is really surging the popularity. Will be very interesting to see how the English dub goes.

Your number $199.2M is different from Boxofficemojo and The Numbers. Where can you find the accurate number? 

Although I know Boxofficemojo missed out Taiwan's numbers and The Numbers website missed out France's box office for the film. 

Edited by tarabeesley

14 hours ago, tarabeesley said:

Is 60 - 70 million possible with this re-release in the USA? Don't know how much it can make!

Probably not. I think at most it could do another $5 million. Which would get it to $51 million.

It will be interesting to see how the Oscar win will impact the overall China box office result. I assume it'll boost it considerably and that they are advertising the film heavily there with trailers unlike how they advertised it in Japan. 

Edited by tarabeesley

It was mentioned GKIDS will re-release the movie (technically it is still in theater) later this month. I was hoping they can quickly reexpand this coming weekend to capitalize on Spring break and immediate Oscar buzz but looked like they are busying doing Evangelion release this weekend.

On 3/12/2024 at 7:26 AM, cannastop said:

Probably not. I think at most it could do another $5 million. Which would get it to $51 million.

All that matters is above demon slayer, which should be feasible. The OG Pokemon is an untouchable cultural moment for anime in the west that nothing else should be compared to, therefore I’d consider 2nd place to basically be the new anime dom record/benchmark. 

9 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

3c30cb2fgy1hnqanufwslj21jk28dhbh.jpg

China - 3rd April 2024

Beautiful poster! Is China the only foreign market to directly translate the title "How Do You Live" instead of "The Boy and the Heron"? I'm still sad about the name change.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Beautiful poster! Is China the only foreign market to directly translate the title "How Do You Live" instead of "The Boy and the Heron"? I'm still sad about the name change.

Yes, Korea did too translated from "How Do You Live" → 그대들은 어떻게 살 것인가

z4n-W20y-Ba-VNGldl-X-pn-U9-CZk669-T1n-O9

At the same time as the release date for China has been announced, Studio Ghibli has made a poster for the Chinese Audiences 

008-Dbo-July1hnpth6h7rpj33f14s97wj.jpg

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Yes, Korea did too translated from "How Do You Live" → 그대들은 어떻게 살 것인가

z4n-W20y-Ba-VNGldl-X-pn-U9-CZk669-T1n-O9

At the same time as the release date for China has been announced, Studio Ghibli has made a poster for the Chinese Audiences 

008-Dbo-July1hnpth6h7rpj33f14s97wj.jpg

I wonder if the Oscar  BAFTA Golden Globe wins will boost its box office potential in China or do they care about those awards at all there?

https://movie.douban.com/trailer/315126/#content

They released the Mainland China trailer too. It isn't a direct copy of the American trailer. I suppose this will be playing in Chinese cinemas so they aren't going for the 'no publicity' approach. 

Edited by tarabeesley

46 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

I wonder if the Oscar  BAFTA Golden Globe wins will boost its box office potential in China or do they care about those awards at all there?

Well, Alibaba Pictures did wait for the Oscar Win before confirming the Introduction in China. They still have a thing to worry is the 7.7 in Douban &Asian audience unable to understand (Hardly any Asian Countries played liked Western Market), a bit of good numbers is Taiwan where Heron ended up being the Miyazaki All-Time Biggest Work and extra-ordinary performance (thanks to the online streaming services and absence of English Titles in Russia.

Looking Maoyan "Want to See" Heron should add 60K for 165K Total Interest today which is ahead of SLAM DUNK - 22,238 &Suzume - 12,171 Daily Count (Though their Total Interest at same point were higher at 669K &471K respectively). So, WTS indicator is good but that doesn't translated into box office (still Suzume still end up higher than SLAM DUMK)

At the end the Pre-sales and more importantly the reception will decide the future. Good is that the film was the 2nd Most Anticipated Foreign Title after "Aquaman &The Lost Kingdom". So we will see how things go when time approaches, atleast Chinese fans are so lucky to be blessed with two Ghibli films releasing in same month!

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Like 1

Going by what you're saying TBATH could be huge in China. It is the biggest market in the world and it isn't uncommon for domestic films to gross over 400 million dollars there. Exciting to consider it could make over 100 million there. 

I'm worried that they are releasing two Ghibli films in one month, couldn't there be a problem with oversaturation?

Edited by tarabeesley
  • Disbelief 1

19 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

Going by what you're saying TBATH could be huge in China. It is the biggest market in the world and it isn't uncommon for domestic films to gross over 400 million dollars there. Exciting to consider it could make over 100 million there. 

I'm worried that they are releasing two Ghibli films in one month, couldn't there be a problem with oversaturation?

I won't talking about gross now (I don't like Gross coming below my prediction) As for the oversaturation we will see. HMC has 9.1 in Douban so won't get wash away especially since 5-Days Labor Holidays starting from May 1 (HMC opens on April 30)

26 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

March  22!

Looks like it'll get a big release again, thinking 2000 screens? Wow... could make 60 million overall. Is it a re-release or an expansion? It is basically out of cinemas now, isn't it?

Edited by tarabeesley

53 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

March  22!

As someone who saw Spirited Away and they had an interview with the composer and artist of Spinning Globe, I wonder if that'll be it.

1 hour ago, tarabeesley said:

Looks like it'll get a big release again, thinking 2000 screens? Wow... could make 60 million overall. Is it a re-release or an expansion? It is basically out of cinemas now, isn't it?

Unfortunately it is uncommon to see Best Animated Feature expanded after their Oscar win so the data for reference is limited. The last time winner in this category got an expansion was the first Spideverse and it added 5m after that. So I won't expect Heron to pass 50m.