cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Russia

WKend 1 - ₽103 912 929 / ₽110 857 127
WKend 2 -   ₽68 284 210 / ₽206 445 508
WKend 3 -   ₽39 290 854 / ₽264 768 655
WKend 4 -   ₽24 705 178 / ₽303 511 593
WKend 5 -   ₽42 113 218 / ₽374 455 166

+70% 5th Wkend // 951,628 admits ($4.059M)

Russia is doing exceptional well. Will soon be the 2nd European Market to reach 1M admits after France (1.6M admits), closely followed by Italy at 3rd (601K admits as of Wed)

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Suzume pushes out elemental!

Suzume and Heron are now the most nominated anime at Annie award with seven. 

Nimona leading the noms (9 overall) makes me feel more secure in my prediction that it'll get into the Oscars, I think there's just a lot of casual support for it within the industry and among peers. Despite this lineup I do think Elemental is locked for a nom along with Spider-Verse and Boy and the Heron, but I think that fifth slot is pretty much up in the air between Suzume, Robot Dreams, TMNT, Chicken Run, and Wish. It'd be cool to see Suzume get in and have two anime films nominated in the same year, idk if the Academy is there yet but we can dream

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cannastop said:

Joe Hisaishi's momentum has been growing in the past few weeks. And compared to Miyazaki, Hisaishi is more open for campaign and he did attend some interviews here and there. His first nomination isn't a sure thing and far from safe at the moment but I believe his concert at Seattle during voting period could boost some visibility. If animation branch members are allowed to nominate a composer, Hisaishi is safe but unfortunately this isn't how Oscar works.  

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Seems like Alibaba Pictures President "Li Jie" has made a lots of deals with Studio Ghibli President "Toshio Suzuki" starting from distribution to exibition of Miyazaki Works in China on January 5th.

89563b31ly1hlqrmkdgcfj20z90qg19j.jpg

What is your prediction for how much How Do You Live will gross in China? The upper limit and lower limit? 

I guess the implication here is that Suzuki is going to market the film more aggressively in China, unlike his minimalist strategy in Japan? 

10 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

What is your prediction for how much How Do You Live will gross in China? The upper limit and lower limit? 

I guess the implication here is that Suzuki is going to market the film more aggressively in China, unlike his minimalist strategy in Japan? 

I am expecting a lot but a bit worrisome with Overseas Chinese reviews who have compared the film with "Long Day's Journey into Night". Atleast if Heron can go with Your Name type numbers then I would be happy ~ ¥575M / $80.2M. and for the lowest maybe $30M~$40M

Distributor expecting - ¥400M / $55.8M for Heron. Now, its totally upto the level of Promotion, Release Date (March 22, Unofficial), Reception &Oscar Buzz in China :)

A little context to "Long Day's Journey into Night"

Spoiler

Despite its unusual story structure, the film was marketed and distributed in China as a romantic event film, and an ideal date movie for its New Year's Eve release. It also received a wide theatrical release. The strategy worked; by 25 December, the film had already sold 100 million yuan ($15M) in presales tickets. Despite its strong presales, it faded quickly from the box-office charts, having grossed $41 million US during its initial three weeks (most of it from its 31 December premier).

In China, its massive early box office success led to a backlash; the hashtag "can't understand Long Day's Journey Into Night" trended on social media, and users of the ticketing platform Maoyan drove its aggregate user rating down

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Wish is NOT getting nommed. Esp if Elemental gets in.

Wish is not getting nommed in a 10 field animated cat this year, let alone a 5. 

And look, Suzume is nice and I’m all for more anime recognition, BUT I am rooting for the nomination snub bc I think it creates a high chance of vote splitting among the two animes and then Spidey swoops in when this should be Heron’s to lose. No Suzume please, this needs the Oscar. 

• Like 1

Suzume is pretty much within my expectation but Heron completely overperforms. The annual Ghibli film festival organized by GKIDS clearly is a successful gospel that contribute to this overperformance, especially Heron also perform way better than other Western countries.  

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Suzume is pretty much within my expectation but Heron completely overperforms. The annual Ghibli film festival organized by GKIDS clearly is a successful gospel that contribute to this overperformance, especially Heron also perform way better than other Western countries.  

Relative to the respective market sizes Heron did better in Italy and France.

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

It isn't actually true. Scorsese knew about Miyazaki in the 90s - enough that Steve Alpert organised for Scorsese to meet him and he declined the offer. Typical grumpy Miyazaki :

https://www.cbr.com/studio-ghibli-miyazaki-once-ignored-martin-scorsese-invite/                         

Of course Scorsese would know about one of the 10 most acclaimed filmmakers working today. 

Edited by tarabeesley

Russia

WKend 1 - ₽103 912 929 / ₽110 857 127
WKend 2 -   ₽68 284 210 / ₽206 445 508
WKend 3 -   ₽39 290 854 / ₽264 768 655
WKend 4 -   ₽24 705 178 / ₽303 511 593
WKend 5 -   ₽42 113 218 / ₽374 455 166

WKend 6 -   ₽21 263 920 / ₽409 661 237

-49% WKend // 1,039,337 admits ($4.584M)

2nd European Market to reach 1M admits after France (1.6M). Italy is closely following at 3rd with 782K admits till date. At Netherland, Heron reached €1,142,927 by Wed - 3rd Highest Grossing Japanese film just behind "Pokemon: The First Movie" (€2,680,669) &"Pokemon: 2000" (€1,884,540)

• Like 1